BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I'd say and why is it that they can never get the bus numbers with the right fonts? Why not just order them directly from the manufacturers??

Because the spent, I would guess 10's of thousands of dollars on the machine to make all of these decals. It would make even less sense than normal to purchase number decal when the ones that they make are completely serving their purpose.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

And you proved my point.

whatever...and no, that's not always true. If a depot does a decent job fixing up their buses, an old one can be pretty reliable. I don't see your point about the dirtier part as some of the O7s have those fabric coverings, so they get pretty dirty fast vs a bus that's all plastic/metal inside which applies to some RTSs etc. The dirty part is due to people being slobs and lack of cleaning by the depots.

If anything other than the fact that the majority of express bus riders are regular riders, I don't see how you seem fine sitting on those seats every day when they are fabric covered vs a plastic seat which can be wiped down more easily.

Like I said it's my opinion, I'm not forcing my views on you. You are free to prefer the newer stuff, I don't see why you still make such a big deal over old vs new.

lol... Well there tends to be fewer slobs on the express buses, though that can vary by from route to route and maintenance, mainly on Staten Island, but Yonkers is pretty damn good and they do clean and swap out those cloth covers. I have yet to see a dirty chair yet. I often times get the same bus and seat every day and also you have to remember that the express buses don't have the same heavy use as the local buses do with the constant change over.  It's usually the same folks riding for the most part.  

Because the spent, I would guess 10's of thousands of dollars on the machine to make all of these decals. It would make even less sense than normal to purchase number decal when the ones that they make are completely serving their purpose.

So why can't they replicate the actual decals then because the numbers are always off... I always thought that they ordered them from somewhere and ran out of supplies or something because to spend that much money they should be able to get the exact replica spot on.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Guest MTA Bus

I was at Kew Gardens today and I saw about 5 LFS buses on the Q46 back to back getting ready to go back to Glen Oaks & Lake Success. The LFSs do not look like they can handle the crowds on the QV routes. QV should have kept some of their XD40s. The XD40s, IMO, is better capable of holding large crowds.

Edited by MTA Bus

This might be a stupid question but, what is the difference between NYCT Bus and MTA bus? I mean I thought all buses are from NYCT but I don't get it, what is MTA bus? Does it have to do with bus depots or something? I usually fan on the Beeline more than the city buses so excuse me if I'm not familiar with the whole thing.

This might be a stupid question but, what is the difference between NYCT Bus and MTA bus? I mean I thought all buses are from NYCT but I don't get it, what is MTA bus? Does it have to do with bus depots or something? I usually fan on the Beeline more than the city buses so excuse me if I'm not familiar with the whole thing.

MTA Bus is made up of the former Private Lines (Triboro, Jamaica, Command, etc.), while NYCT Bus is operated by the New York City Transit Authority and the Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transport Operating Authority.

Yup^

I believe it falls down on the unions and the fears of losing routes favored by seniority. Basically lines like the B100 ideally would have gone to FB depot etc, under what I'd assume would be some mass consolidation to eliminate the overlaps and streamline the services. But at least the bus swaps seems to be more lenient especially with the CNG buses and older RTSs.

=

It was for consolidation, thus QV taking all 90 novas, SI with all 90 3gs, Brooklyn with the majority of the xd40s. It makes no sense to keep a small handful of an oddball fleet. Perhaps QV should've split the fleet with another depot to 'share the burden'.

I was at Kew Gardens today and I saw about 5 LFS buses on the Q46 back to back getting ready to go back to Glen Oaks & Lake Success. The LFSs do not look like they can handle the crowds on the QV routes. QV should have kept some of their XD40s. The XD40s, IMO, is better capable of holding large crowds.

Edited by Grand Concourse

MTA Bus is made up of the former Private Lines (Triboro, Jamaica, Command, etc.), while NYCT Bus is operated by the New York City Transit Authority and the Manhattan & Bronx Surface Transport Operating Authority.

Thanks a lot, now I get it. I was at 30 Avenue today and that explains that Q18 to Maspeth I saw. The bus I saw was an Orion V (ex Bee Line bus numbered around the 400s back then). Now I know what MaBSTOA means as well, guess you learn something new everyday.

lol... Well there tends to be fewer slobs on the express buses, though that can vary by from route to route and maintenance, mainly on Staten Island, but Yonkers is pretty damn good and they do clean and swap out those cloth covers. I have yet to see a dirty chair yet. I often times get the same bus and seat every day and also you have to remember that the express buses don't have the same heavy use as the local buses do with the constant change over. It's usually the same folks riding for the most part.

So why can't they replicate the actual decals then because the numbers are always off... I always thought that they ordered them from somewhere and ran out of supplies or something because to spend that much money they should be able to get the exact replica spot on.

The numbers don't always get replicated properly because of the amount of turnover in the line supervisor position. When a new supervisor comes along not knowing exactly what to do, he might accidentally change something like the font used for the number decals.

----------

It finally looks like 2228 wants to join the land of the living again. It's was towed from Zerega to Grand Ave (without the engine) so that it can get the professional TA treatment. It should be back rolling in 2 or 3 weeks if all goes well...

The numbers don't always get replicated properly because of the amount of turnover in the line supervisor position. When a new supervisor comes along not knowing exactly what to do, he might accidentally change something like the font used for the number decals.

----------

It finally looks like 2228 wants to join the land of the living again. It's was towed from Zerega to Grand Ave (without the engine) so that it can get the professional TA treatment. It should be back rolling in 2 or 3 weeks if all goes well...

So that explains why they always use that hideous arial narrow looking font for the bus numbers... The "8"s are always off too...

And about 2228... Isn't that bus out of Castleton??

I was under the impression that there were a few D60HF #5400s left, so I was shocked to see #5497, #5404 and #5425 today, but looking at the roster, there's a fair amount left. I see, though, there's just #5252.

5252 will get retired when the 2002-2003 D60s get retired...5252 was rebuilt to become part the 2002-2003 order. So that bus has life in it still....which is why the LFSA delivery started at 5253. 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

5252 will get retired when the 2002-2003 D60s get retired...5252 was rebuilt to become part the 2002-2003 order. So that bus has life in it still....which is why the LFSA delivery started at 5253. 

You're thinking of 5407, which was actually retired anyway. 5252 was simply delivered last (same situation as 5770, 185, etc.) and is the newest of that series.

You're thinking of 5407, which was actually retired anyway. 5252 was simply delivered last (same situation as 5770, 185, etc.) and is the newest of that series.

Which boggles my mind, it was in pretty decent shape from what I've witnessed (at least the last time I rode it)

the buses that run limited routes why do they have the "Limited" placard when the destination sign says it's limited is it to give immidate indication or something else?

Cuz people don't read the sign but the little purple and orange sign is there at eye level for them to see

...not that they read that either, they still ask if the bus is limited

Christ... I always wondered why they kept those Limited stop signs in the window there since the newer signage is much brighter to read now but thinking about it, it's true.  No matter how bright the signs are some folks (esp. the old yentas) are just lazy and lonely and just like to ask to strike up conversations.  Really annoying too.  Some lady on the BxM1 did that crap this morning... Either that or they get on the bus with a gazillion coins.  This young guy got on the other day along Henry Hudson Parkway near 246th street and I was behind him and he's just there with all of these f--ing coins and him and the B/O is there doing the countdown as to how many coins he needs to be put in to make $5.50 and it was raining outside too.  I was thinking to myself, hasn't this guy heard of a f---ing MetroCard before??  <_<

Cuz people don't read the sign but the little purple and orange sign is there at eye level for them to see

...not that they read that either, they still ask if the bus is limited

^^^ I see that happen on the B44 all the time.

my thought is why doesn't in the next bus order the mta break with tradition and change to colored destination signs where the sign will be the same but "LIMITED" will flash in a different color

my thought is why doesn't in the next bus order the mta break with tradition and change to colored destination signs where the sign will be the same but "LIMITED" will flash in a different color

Really not necessary IMO... The signage is bright enough these days on the new buses... People just need to stop being so damn lazy and READ!