BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I heard that when you push a back door on a bus...if you pushh too hard the bus brakes will lock? Is that true?

Did anyone ever experience that?

Because these two guys on a packed B1 bus...was in the stairs leaning against the back door and when we were doing about 30_35mph I was scared the bus was going to just stop completely or do somecrazy shytt.

There's supposed to be an interlock but it does tend to fail on occasion.

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about time they started to get on those buses. I mean they look ok and all, but a majority of those buses look like they went through one hell of a war.

Manhattan's OG VIIs look the best. I mean, compared to the units in Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx, Manhattan's still look new to me.

Edited by jgood6195

Manhattan's OG VIIs look the best. I mean, compared to the units in Brooklyn, Queens, and The Bronx, Manhattan's still look new to me.

Let's fix that.

Quill's OGs look the best in Manhattan.

Manhattanville's OGs are a hit-or-miss. Some look great, others look like they just got out of a brawl.

The OGs over at the Airmen Depot look alright, some better than others.

I heard that when you push a back door on a bus...if you pushh too hard the bus brakes will lock? Is that true?

Because these two guys on a packed B1 bus...was in the stairs leaning against the back door and when we were doing about 30_35mph I was scared the bus was going to just stop completely or do somecrazy shytt.

Yeah, that's true.

I experienced it when some kids were playing around and leaning against the door, but we weren't going too fast. I remember another time, the door actually opened slightly (but not wide enough for the kid to fall out or anything). Can't recall any other time off the top of my head.

I have on a OG HEV on the B12 a few months ago. The bus didn't even get up to speed and the next thing I know I was going forward really fast. It felt like the driver mashed on the brakes. Not fun at all....

It's happened to me before... Some a-holes were either leaning or pushing against the door and the bus stopped suddenly and threw everyone.  Some of the old NGs that Staten Island had were SO ANNOYING with the please stand away from the stairwell message even if you just in the vicinty of the stairwell.  I guess the (MTA) realized how annoying and ridiculous that was and since it deter people from standing near the doorway they probably just went back to ordering buses without that crap.  I mean it was their fault that people kept standing there because the aisles are so friggin narrow on those buses that that's sometimes the only place to stand.  If I recall correctly though the time that we stopped suddenly it was not an NG and may have been in Brooklyn.

It's happened to me before... Some a-holes were either leaning or pushing against the door and the bus stopped suddenly and threw everyone.  Some of the old NGs that Staten Island had were SO ANNOYING with the please stand away from the stairwell message even if you just in the vicinty of the stairwell.  I guess the (MTA) realized how annoying and ridiculous that was and since it deter people from standing near the doorway they probably just went back to ordering buses without that crap.  I mean it was their fault that people kept standing there because the aisles are so friggin narrow on those buses that that's sometimes the only place to stand.  If I recall correctly though the time that we stopped suddenly it was not an NG and may have been in Brooklyn.

Actually those aisles aren't any narrower than on an RTS. Blame the people that refuses to move to the back and standing by the doors. I just hope if the MTA orders the Xd40s, they keep the 2x2 rear seating arrangements because that's a better use of the rear section space than the U shape of the NGs and og buses.

Speaking of hard breakings, the Q35 drivers really do that a lot with the c40lfs. You really need to brace yourself when the bus takes off and comes to a stop.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Cait Sith" data-cid="640204" data-time="1359775546"><p>

<br />

Let's fix that.<br />

<br />

Quill's OGs look the best in Manhattan.<br />

<br />

Manhattanville's OGs are a hit-or-miss. Some look great, others look like they just got out of a brawl.<br />

<br />

The OGs over at the Airmen Depot look alright, some better than others.</p></blockquote>

Usually when a depot has a paint booth that it actively uses, their buses look good. That's what I've noticed at least...

Na. They still order buses with that POS on the rear door.

You sure about that? On the newer SI local buses I didn't hear that (i.e. NGs and LFSs)

Actually those aisles aren't any narrower than on an RTS. Blame the people that refuses to move to the back and standing by the doors. I just hope if the MTA orders the Xd40s, they keep the 2x2 rear seating arrangements because that's a better use of the rear section space than the U shape of the NGs and og buses.

Speaking of hard breakings, the Q35 drivers really do that a lot with the c40lfs. You really need to brace yourself when the bus takes off and comes to a stop.

Yeah but the overall layout of those buses makes folks crowd into certain areas of the buses which make the aisles feel small. That's the problem.The NGs on the other hand are laid out much better for standing.  Those new XD buses.... The back is not laid out well at all

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Via Garibaldi 8" data-cid="640329" data-time="1359806346"><p>

You sure about that? On the newer SI local buses I didn't hear that (i.e. NGs and LFSs)<br />

<br />l</p></blockquote>

the reason why you dont here that on the NGs in staten island is because stupidd charleston amd yukon put tape over the sensors of the NGs(thats why you have to manually push it open) and for the LFS since it has a handle you have to actually touch it for it to go off...

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Via Garibaldi 8" data-cid="640329" data-time="1359806346"><p>

You sure about that? On the newer SI local buses I didn't hear that (i.e. NGs and LFSs)<br />

<br />l</p></blockquote>

the reason why you dont here that on the NGs in staten island is because stupidd charleston amd yukon put tape over the sensors of the NGs(thats why you have to manually push it open) and for the LFS since it has a handle you have to actually touch it for it to go off...

Tape is Yukon's best friend.

I really dont think they should be allowed t do that though...well can they? Then you have doors slamming in peoples faces

Well feel free to file a complaint in regard to the issue.

And I don't think that personal injury is much of a problem. Besides, shouldn't passengers be prepared for the door to close on them anyway?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Turbo19" data-cid="640390" data-time="1359819602"><p>

Well feel free to file a complaint in regard to the issue.<br />

<br />

And I don't think that personal injury is much of a problem. Besides, shouldn't passengers be prepared for the door to close on them anyway?</p></blockquote>

yeahh true...but the tape just makes the bus feel cheap...like the door cant even open itself when you touch it

Saw 639 the other day, It just looks so weird to see a C40 with a number from a bus that is still around...

Its funny because I saw 639 and 1305 in the same place yesterday (at different times), @ Main & Roosevelt. 1305 still says 639 on the top of the bus.

So last night I decide to get off at 63 Drive instead of Woodhaven on the (R), what a bad mistake that was. I thought there would be a Q72 there at the bus stop since there was one due at that time, instead it was already all the way down the block... usually that bus is late, not early!

To make it worse once I get down to where my building is, guess what passes on the Q38 -- 9968! I could have gotten off at Woodhaven and waited 2 minutes for a good ride on an Orion V CNG thats about to go... It seems like that bus just keeps getting thrown back and forth between CP routes and the (A) shuttle.

Speaking of the (A) shuttle, do they still run those Orion V CNGs on there? I know there are still running SC buses on FR routes (C40's on the Q52), saw one the other day. I know there are still a few Vs at SC, looks like they aren't retiring 740 & 746 so fast.

It makes me wonder if FR will keep its 3 Orion Vs once the depot reopens, or they will just get sent back to LGA. I just know once the (A) gets restored, to the scrapper goes the rest of the Orion V CNGs and 1305 + 1306.

Saw 639 the other day, It just looks so weird to see a C40 with a number from a bus that is still around...

Its funny because I saw 639 and 1305 in the same place yesterday (at different times), @ Main & Roosevelt. 1305 still says 639 on the top of the bus.

So last night I decide to get off at 63 Drive instead of Woodhaven on the (R), what a bad mistake that was. I thought there would be a Q72 there at the bus stop since there was one due at that time, instead it was already all the way down the block... usually that bus is late, not early!

To make it worse once I get down to where my building is, guess what passes on the Q38 -- 9968! I could have gotten off at Woodhaven and waited 2 minutes for a good ride on an Orion V CNG thats about to go... It seems like that bus just keeps getting thrown back and forth between CP routes and the (A) shuttle.

Speaking of the (A) shuttle, do they still run those Orion V CNGs on there? I know there are still running SC buses on FR routes (C40's on the Q52), saw one the other day. I know there are still a few Vs at SC, looks like they aren't retiring 740 & 746 so fast.

It makes me wonder if FR will keep its 3 Orion Vs once the depot reopens, or they will just get sent back to LGA. I just know once the (A) gets restored, to the scrapper goes the rest of the Orion V CNGs and 1305 + 1306.

And the rest of the older C40LFs.

@via g, yes the NG rear section is better suited for standees, but it's pointless since it's like pulling out teeth to force people to walk to the back to stand. That space is better utilized for more seats not to mention the seat widths really needs to be widened. You can barely fit 4 people on a 4 seater. Ideally that's space for 3 people to sit across.

Did anybody realize that Brooklyn is getting the new "666"? :wacko:^_^

Not a big deal, there's already a 444. i forget which chinese group (mandrin/cantonese),* it sounds like the word death.

=

4p: unless BP requires more hybrids on top of the ex-SC units they probably got (when those were displaced by the c40lf arrivals), then I kinda doubt FR will be keeping them, but with how the A is still down below HB, I guess it's possible they could stay or JFK takes the O5s and sends FR some other hybrid buses.

Edited by Grand Concourse