• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not surprising. Q35 still has a few cngs. Saw 598 on it and covered in dirty snow, smh.

same thing came to mind when I saw that post of his.... then again, he's not as privy to that as we are, so I cut him some slack & decided not to say anything about it....

I think it's kind of unfair that the Q44 is artic and the Q20 isn't since they're interlined

I didn't know they were interlined....

How crowded are the Q20s? I thought the Q44s were 'bursting at the seems' and the reason why it has the artics.

Both routes get packed; Q44's moreso than 20's obviously.... the only thing w/ the 20b is that virtually no one uses it north of like willets point... 20a gets the grunt of usage in college point, being that you got the shopping area along 20th av & the fact its geographically closer to flushing.....

It's not surprising. Q35 still has a few cngs. Saw 598 on it and covered in dirty snow, smh.

That stupid dirty snow almost ruined my recording, because it covered the windows. The seat all the way in the back of #740 was the cleanest, but some guy was sitting there.

Yes, I've taken the X28 Downtown once many years ago when I was coming from Midtown and didn't feel like dealing the packed (4)(5) train.  The bus was empty and the B/O kindly let me off at the stop I requested.

As for the culture, yes, there is certainly a culture and a lot has to do with seeing the same folks every day and forming a bond of sorts and also as you said a sense of you're either one of us or you're not. There's a few reasons for this.  #1 There aren't that many of us so we stick together and #2 we go through the same hell of getting to our destinations so we understand what we face.  Despite what it looks like the express bus is not this grand luxury, especially if you have no other options to get to and from where you're going without driving of course.  I mean during snow storms or other extreme weather, it can be pure hell trying to get home if you're waiting in the freezing cold for over an hour and then you face a two hour commute.  Nothing grand about that at all.  

I think in my case I've been riding for over seven years now and so I've become sort of a "vigliante" if you will with certain things, esp. since I've seen how things work and how routes can be cut so I'm more attentive to certain things since this is how I get around daily. 

BWAHAHAHAHAHA! You make it sound like you just went through a massive die-off or something! But no, I get what you're saying. Whenever I ride the "express" buses up here, everybody has tight bonds with each other.

I'm chuckling at this (from here, page 113)

A portion of the B3 route, which operated between Bensonhurst and Bergen Beach in Brooklyn, was discontinued south of Avenue U/71st Street in an effort to make the route more efficient. We projected that riders would have to walk approximately five minutes to the nearest B3 bus stop. However, weekday ridership on the B3 decreased significantly more than expected, as shown in the table below. This decrease was primarily due to the reopening of the Avenue U (B)(Q) subway station in October 2010 that had been temporarily closed in 2009, and which temporarily boosted ridership on the B3 and the B3K shuttle that operated to the Kings Highway (B)(Q) Station during the station closure.

If the Avenue U station was reopened, shouldn't the B3 ridership have increased? Yeah, the B3K connected to Kings Highway, but that was only during rush hours, and it only traveled for part of the B3 route.

BTW, the MTA sometimes deletes these things, so I'd save the file to your computer just in case. (Here's the one for MTA Bus)

Edited by checkmatechamp13

This 4888 is the worst bus ever ... Transmissions making loud noise sounds like it's grinding. It's actually burning transmission fluid, well she will hopefully be seeing a trip to the vendor sometime soon. This isn't normal for a bus to be sounding like this, this is one of the worst ones I've ridden on so far.

This 4888 is the worst bus ever ... Transmissions making loud noise sounds like it's grinding. It's actually burning transmission fluid, well she will hopefully be seeing a trip to the vendor sometime soon. This isn't normal for a bus to be sounding like this, this is one of the worst ones I've ridden on so far.

LOL, i figured you'd ride it eventually, i like how it sounds, but i know that sound isn't too good. 

lol, blame SI?

I've only been on this forum for a week, but I've already seen more than a handful of things about XD40s breaking down or performing badly. I don't suppose they can work on the reliability...because those LFS 40-footers are bloody awful with their cramped interior and scrape-the-tarmac-on-every-slight-incline overhang. NovaBus can't win that 600-bus contract. I mean, in the end it's just a bus, but the crap interior layout really sucks on those LFS buses when more than say, 4 people are on one.

Disclaimer: just to clarify, this isn't some fanboy crap. It just appears to be clear that from a utility standpoint, the LFS suffers a bit on interior space with their short wheelbase.

Edited by Culver

I've only been on this forum for a week, but I've already seen more than a handful of things about XD40s breaking down or performing badly. I don't suppose they can work on the reliability...because those LFS 40-footers are bloody awful with their cramped interior and scrape-the-tarmac-on-every-slight-incline overhang. NovaBus can't win that 600-bus contract. I mean, in the end it's just a bus, but the crap interior layout really sucks on those LFS buses when more than say, 4 people are on one.

The thing is, we don't know if the LFSs would have the same interior if they get the contract. It could change to what the 5300 series LFSAs have in the rear.

lol, blame SI?

I wouldn't, I've been on a few other Xcelsiors(before the ENY transfer) outside from the S.I batch that has had the same issues.

The thing is, we don't know if the LFSs would have the same interior if they get the contract. It could change to what the 5300 series LFSAs have in the rear.

I wouldn't, I've been on a few other Xcelsiors(before the ENY transfer) outside from the S.I batch that has had the same issues.

Right, but the interior is still hindered by the placement of the wheels too far to the middle (Seriously, Nova, why, WHY such a short wheelbase), so you have the weird single seat behind the driver, and thus a few feet less to place seats and standing space between upper level and front wheels. In the rear it results in at best 2 less seats than the basic New Flyer C40LF layout. I was on an S53 a few months ago when SI had some that wasn't really crowded when you counted the amount of people on it, but felt like it was packed because every passenger was essentially in a Tetris crunch.

If we do end up with the LFS, I hope they at least do that new nice interior layout they presented last year with the LED lights and white window frames. Keep the rear window, too.

Edited by Culver

I give credit for nova building solid buses, but I dunno if they can work because the interior isn't as spacious compared to the xd40. Perhaps it is just psychological, but I would prefer nova just build the artics only. I also don't get why the cng nf buses are doing fine afaik but the diesel ones are having these issues.

Theres other xcelsiors that sound like this?

Ooo i need a video of that bus! I can imagine what that sounds like inside, it reminds me of LFS 8004

8004 was all cooling fans!

This one also sounds like 8004

Ok, done with the video sharing lmao.

Edited by Cait Sith

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Culver" data-cid="637961" data-time="1359342340"><p>

4888 sounds like a dying rhino.<br />

<br />

Only 90 buses and they're dropping like flies. I hope NovaBus has been developing and shaker-testing a long-wheelbase LFS in secret. Bloody hell.</p></blockquote>

Well QV and maybe ENY should of taken the XD40's since them two actually know how keep buses in good shape, and UP should of taken the LFS's. I never heard any weird noise in the XD40's when QV had them so that proves that someone did a bad job maintaining the buses. I don't see the LFS winning because why did they move it all to one depot and split the XD40's between two depots. The (MTA) is up to something that's all I know.