BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I saw something odd last night walking along Henry Hudson Parkway.  I got to Henry Hudson Parkway and West 246th street and saw a BxM1 signed up as a "SUPER EXPRESS, via 3 AV, RIVERDALE, 263 ST".  I have never seen a BxM1 with this signage before.  If they skip Inwood, they just say BxM1 RIVERDALE, 263 ST, via H. HUDSON PKY".  I wonder why the B/O (a female) had that sign up for instead of the usual one?? 

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw something odd last night walking along Henry Hudson Parkway.  I got to Henry Hudson Parkway and West 246th street and saw a BxM1 signed up as a "SUPER EXPRESS, via 3 AV, RIVERDALE, 263 ST".  I have never seen a BxM1 with this signage before.  If they skip Inwood, they just say BxM1 RIVERDALE, 263 ST, via H. HUDSON PKY".  I wonder why the B/O (a female) had that sign up for instead of the usual one?? 

Could be new programming.

I believe there were/are BxM1 and BxM2 Super Expresses that pick up from the first stop and go straight to Riverdale.

Well there certainly aren't any BxM2's that do this back to Riverdale.  There are two Super Express BxM2 runs in the mornings via Riverdale Av, but everything else is normal and I thought the Super Express BxM1s just bypass Inwood going back to Riverdale... I would be curious to see if there is/was another route and what stops are entailed... The BxM1 Super Expresses in the morning just go via Riverdale Av and down the hill.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I know that this might not be the perfect thread to put it in, but has the S33 detour notice been at the bottom of the SCT page ever since June

http://www.sct-bus.org/index.html

Last time I been in the immediate area (while riding the 2b a couple weeks ago), that construction is still going on over there around LIRR Wyandanch !

Being that you're a regular user of the route, that's surprising to me (you never seeing it).... I remember a point & time I used to fan the riverdale expresses almost regularly (when I used to get out earlier), I would always see the super express signage on the BxM1.....

Now if there was a point & time after my excursions up there that b/o's stopped using the particular signage, that is more news to me.

On a similar note, What's been going on w/ the "BM's" lately is that some of the b/o's haven't been using the super express signage either... It's like, you're just supposed to know that buses are skipping lwr. manhattan.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I finally managed to catch an Orion V CNG on the Q19. It was #9860, from Roosevelt Avenue/Main Street to Astoria Blvd/21st Street.

Yup, Despite the fact more service was added, that's why usage gradually shot up on the Q19 after the extension to flushing.... People realize that it was a quick ride to the [astoria blvd] subway (over taking Q66's to northern blvd. subway)..... quite a bit of folks also use it to xfer to the 49 towards 74th st bus terminal.... To sum it up, the 19 is much quicker than the 66 for the purpose of getting to their respective subway stations..... and basically, the Q19 is a lot more useful now than it used to be when it had erratic service when it terminated w/ the 19b (now 49).....

As for a stop around citifield, I know the westbound 66 makes a stop over in the 120's, but I'm not sure if that's a shared stop w/ the Q19.....

According to Google Earth, there's one at Northern Blvd and 126th Street meant just for the Q66, but I saw no stop sign. What I did see where some construction machines.

Last time I been in the immediate area (while riding the 2b a couple weeks ago), that construction is still going on over there around LIRR Wyandanch !

Being that you're a regular user of the route, that's surprising to me (you never seeing it).... I remember a point & time I used to fan the riverdale expresses almost regularly (when I used to get out earlier), I would always see the super express signage on the BxM1.....

Now if there was a point & time after my excursions up there that b/o's stopped using the particular signage, that is more news to me.

On a similar note, What's been going on w/ the "BM's" lately is that some of the b/o's haven't been using the super express signage either... It's like, you're just supposed to know that buses are skipping lwr. manhattan.....

The thing is I use the "Super Express" BxM1s in the mornings and none of them have that and I've also used BxM1 Super Expresses at night and they usually just use the same signage as the Riverdale bound BxM2s use which is "via H. HUDSON PKY" "RIVERDALE 263 ST".  This was much earlier in the evening and sometimes I am not in Riverdale that early so perhaps that's why I haven't seen one before, but I just want to confirm that those BxM1 Super Expresses to Riverdale only bypass Inwood right?? Calling it a Super Express IMO Riverdale bound is a joke if that's all it does.  I would imagine it's used so that the Inwood folks aren't confused.

I finally managed to catch an Orion V CNG on the Q19. It was #9860, from Roosevelt Avenue/Main Street to Astoria Blvd/21st Street.

According to Google Earth, there's one at Northern Blvd and 126th Street meant just for the Q66, but I saw no stop sign. What I did see where some construction machines.

It's more of an unofficial stop (unless they're doing work there now) right on the island when you come down from the decline.

The thing is I use the "Super Express" BxM1s in the mornings and none of them have that and I've also used BxM1 Super Expresses at night and they usually just use the same signage as the Riverdale bound BxM2s use which is "via H. HUDSON PKY" "RIVERDALE 263 ST".  This was much earlier in the evening and sometimes I am not in Riverdale that early so perhaps that's why I haven't seen one before, but I just want to confirm that those BxM1 Super Expresses to Riverdale only bypass Inwood right?? Calling it a Super Express IMO Riverdale bound is a joke if that's all it does.  I would imagine it's used so that the Inwood folks aren't confused.

yes & no....

yes in that, they bypass inwood.... no in that, they don't only bypass inwood...

The super express bxm1's are the buses that serve "upper" riverdale, then takes riverdale av to 230th, serves the stop across from that dunkin donuts over there on 230th/broadway, then it makes its way to the deegan (like the bxm2 does from that point).... they also don't make any stops north of 57th st....

^^ simplified, they skip anything along HHP south of 239 (including the entire spuyten duyvil area), they skip inwood, and they only make stops in east midtown....

hope that explains it....

Edited by B35 via Church

B35, B41, B44, B46, Bx1, Bx2, Bx15, Bx19, M14, Q111, Staten Island lol...

LOL, i agree i see farebeating all the time! 

Every line has HEAVY farebeating except the S44, S51, S55. S62....and maybe little farebeating with S56/57, and S74. Everything esle..pleasee....S40/S46/S48/S53/S54/S78 and the limiteds of S40/46/48 are terrible too. Oh well, no ones doing nothing about it...

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

yes & no....

yes in that, they bypass inwood.... no in that, they don't only bypass inwood...

The super express bxm1's are the buses that serve "upper" riverdale, then takes riverdale av to 230th, serves the stop across from that dunkin donuts over there on 230th/broadway, then it makes its way to the deegan (like the bxm2 does from that point).... they also don't make any stops north of 57th st....

^^ simplified, they skip anything along HHP south of 239 (including the entire spuyten duyvil area), they skip inwood, and they only make stops in east midtown....

hope that explains it....

Well I'm aware of the Super Expresses that skip Spuyten Duyvil and go via Riverdale Av, as I've used those heading to Midtown are they quite crowded so I have to get on early so that I get a good seat.  There are two Super Express BxM2s like that as well in the morning, but the Super Express BxM1s that I've been on have made all stops in Manhattan.  What about the Riverdale bound BxM1 Super Expresses? Are you saying those don't make any stops north of 57th st because I was not aware of that.  I thought only the Riverdale bound BxM18s do that. That would mean a Super Express BxM1 to Riverdale would only make the following stops:

33rd street, 41st street and 49th street and then skip 61st street and 64th street (which are pretty big stops) and everything above that.  I'm just trying to figure out which BxM1s would those be since it is not indicated on the schedule at all.  They only show those that bypass Inwood, which makes me think that they don't exist now because of the BxM18...

So getting off work, I missed that slow ass 9444 on the B62 (the same bus I caught when that 12-9 on the (L) happened a few days ago), and the next bus to come was a B43. Just my luck I get 7615 (haven't been on an Orion 7 in months, frankly I'm not a fan of them). Thought it was gonna be a slow, boring ride (just like the VIIs lol), but this one takes off like there's crack in the tanks and the suspension is (surprisingly) well.

Only problem is that it constantly chokes like there's no tomorrow.

Well I'm aware of the Super Expresses that skip Spuyten Duyvil and go via Riverdale Av, as I've used those heading to Midtown are they quite crowded so I have to get on early so that I get a good seat.  There are two Super Express BxM2s like that as well in the morning, but the Super Express BxM1s that I've been on have made all stops in Manhattan.  

What about the Riverdale bound BxM1 Super Expresses?

Are you saying those don't make any stops north of 57th st because I was not aware of that.  I thought only the Riverdale bound BxM18s do that. That would mean a Super Express BxM1 to Riverdale would only make the following stops:

33rd street, 41st street and 49th street and then skip 61st street and 64th street (which are pretty big stops) and everything above that.  

I'm just trying to figure out which BxM1s would those be since it is not indicated on the schedule at all.  They only show those that bypass Inwood, which makes me think that they don't exist now because of the BxM18...

AFAIK, there aren't any riverdale bound super expresses anymore (that much I know about).... just the ones in the morning that serve riverdale north of 239th (inclusive) & the marble hill stop on 230th, skips spuyten duyvil & inwood, and only stops at 57th (well, it's more 56th), 50th, 42nd, then the last stop at 34th.... it was a sort of compromise for having gotten rid of a lot of (non super express) trips that went via riverdale av, and the amount of super express trips as well.... Once upon a time, the super express trips did exactly what you just mentioned (stopping only south of 50th) - it was at a later date that they added the 57th st stop to the Sx's .....

I dunno, are you trying to tell me they got rid of the Sx's I'm referencing too?

(since you reference the schedule... I don't know, I haven't checked it)

- If they did get rid of those Sx's, then that is something that is very recent....

If that's the case, then at this rate, they're just gonna have the buses that skip spuyten duvyil (the riverdale av trips) & buses that run the normal route (via spuyten duyvil, via inwood)..... I would not be surprised if they're looking to rid away of the riverdale av trips, if you're conveying to me that there are no Bxm1's period that don't skip the upper manhattan stops.....

I try to keep on the up & up w/ route changes, but it's these subtle ones that go unnoticed...

await your reply.

AFAIK, there aren't any riverdale bound super expresses anymore (that much I know about).... just the ones in the morning that serve riverdale north of 239th (inclusive) & the marble hill stop on 230th, skips spuyten duyvil & inwood, and only stops at 57th (well, it's more 56th), 50th, 42nd, then the last stop at 34th.... it was a sort of compromise for having gotten rid of a lot of (non super express) trips that went via riverdale av, and the amount of super express trips as well.... Once upon a time, the super express trips did exactly what you just mentioned (stopping only south of 50th) - it was at a later date that they added the 57th st stop to the Sx's .....

I dunno, are you trying to tell me they got rid of the Sx's I'm referencing too?

(since you reference the schedule... I don't know, I haven't checked it)

- If they did get rid of those Sx's, then that is something that is very recent....

If that's the case, then at this rate, they're just gonna have the buses that skip spuyten duvyil (the riverdale av trips) & buses that run the normal route (via spuyten duyvil, via inwood)..... I would not be surprised if they're looking to rid away of the riverdale av trips, if you're conveying to me that there are no Bxm1's period that don't skip the upper manhattan stops.....

I try to keep on the up & up w/ route changes, but it's these subtle ones that go unnoticed...

await your reply.

Well they must have because the Super Express Midtown BxM1s that I take skip Spuyten Duyvil and Inwood and then start making all stops from 96th on.  Quite frankly it makes a lot of sense because of the BxM18 and it allows them to gauge how much demand there is below 56th street between the 5th & Madison area as opposed to the 3rd/Lex corridor.  Remember that they added those Midtown stops there at 56th and 44th because of the huge demand I believe so we have that to use.  That said they did cut a later BxM1 Super express after the last one that currently runs in the morning which a lot of folks were pissed about, but that was before I moved to Riverdale.  Only problem with the morning BxM18 buses is they don't run them late enough for me to take advantage of them unless I need to be somewhere early.  I wish they added a few later ones in the morning, because the last ones are quite crowded in the morning, with those Midtown stops emptying out the bus nicely.

As it is now though the BxM1 Super Expresses aren't too bad, but the BxM18 is about 10 - 15 minutes faster.  Sometimes you can get to Riverdale in 20 - 30 minutes with no traffic with the BxM18.

Getting back to the BxM1 signage I mentioned though, that must mean that the  "SUPER EXPRESS" "via 3 AV" "RIVERDALE 263 ST" that I saw must be an old sign since as you said there are no Super Expresses back to Riverdale aside from them just skipping Inwood.

Well they must have because the Super Express Midtown BxM1s that I take skip Spuyten Duyvil and Inwood and then start making all stops from 96th on.  Quite frankly it makes a lot of sense because of the BxM18 and it allows them to gauge how much demand there is below 56th street between the 5th & Madison area as opposed to the 3rd/Lex corridor.  Remember that they added those Midtown stops there at 56th and 44th because of the huge demand I believe so we have that to use.  That said they did cut a later BxM1 Super express after the last one that currently runs in the morning which a lot of folks were pissed about, but that was before I moved to Riverdale.  Only problem with the morning BxM18 buses is they don't run them late enough for me to take advantage of them unless I need to be somewhere early.  I wish they added a few later ones in the morning, because the last ones are quite crowded in the morning, with those Midtown stops emptying out the bus nicely.

As it is now though the BxM1 Super Expresses aren't too bad, but the BxM18 is about 10 - 15 minutes faster.  Sometimes you can get to Riverdale in 20 - 30 minutes with no traffic with the BxM18.

Getting back to the BxM1 signage I mentioned though, that must mean that the  "SUPER EXPRESS" "via 3 AV" "RIVERDALE 263 ST" that I saw must be an old sign since as you said there are no Super Expresses back to Riverdale aside from them just skipping Inwood.

Gotcha.

The only question I have then is, are there even super expresses (period) anymore.... Of any type.

It may just be an outdated sign, and left as is, to let people know that these buses are not stopping at inwood.

I say just update the things to have them say something like "BxM1 via Major Deegan"..... instead of calling them super expresses...

Gotcha.

The only question I have then is, are there even super expresses (period) anymore.... Of any type.

It may just be an outdated sign, and left as is, to let people know that these buses are not stopping at inwood.

I say just update the things to have them say something like "BxM1 via Major Deegan"..... instead of calling them super expresses...

I think the current sign works just fine... They avoid the whole Major Deegan thing because more times than not they don't use it, including the BxM2 and BxM18 especially in the mornings because here of late esp. there seems to be constant accidents Southbound... If the sign just says "via H. HUDSON PKY" then it's clear that it skips Inwood since the ones that stop there say "via INWOOD", "via H. HUDSON PKY". They (the smart ones anyway) all cut through Inwood to get to the Harlem River Drive except for the ones that call themselves holding true to the entire route, which annoys the hell out of me when they know there is traffic and know they are free to use other options and I avoid those drivers like the plague.  At night later on it is used though to and from the city.  Hell some of them even look before turning on the Deegan and if they see a back up they'll continue over to Bailey and come back over to Broadway via 225th street and through Inwood and over to the Harlem River Drive, which is the smart thing to do.

I think the current sign works just fine... They avoid the whole Major Deegan thing because more times than not they don't use it, including the BxM2 and BxM18 especially in the mornings because here of late esp. there seems to be constant accidents Southbound... If the sign just says "via H. HUDSON PKY" then it's clear that it skips Inwood since the ones that stop there say "via INWOOD", "via H. HUDSON PKY". They (the smart ones anyway) all cut through Inwood to get to the Harlem River Drive except for the ones that call themselves holding true to the entire route, which annoys the hell out of me when they know there is traffic and know they are free to use other options and I avoid those drivers like the plague.  At night later on it is used though to and from the city.  Hell some of them even look before turning on the Deegan and if they see a back up they'll continue over to Bailey and come back over to Broadway via 225th street and through Inwood and over to the Harlem River Drive, which is the smart thing to do.

'aye, I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest over which signage works better....

Since you're making an issue out of seeing the super express signage for the first time or whatever, All I wanna know is (and this isn't a question posed at you... more like a general question at/to the MTA), do super expresses on the route exist or not..... Or, are they simply calling these trips that you're explaining as super expresses (which to me would suggest that they've done bastardized what was once the super expresses)

What you're telling me that happens now, and the super expresses as I remember them, are two different things...