BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

On 9/1/2024 at 6:33 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

In general I think it’s just a lack of concern for the people who rely on the bus. As long as they are collecting a check that is all that matters.

What also makes it bad is that people don’t complain enough about this stuff. Therefore it definitely gives the impression that nothing is wrong. Monday evenings I like to go to the gym after work and my gym is right off of the Q54 route. The Q54’s on time performance is garbage. I’ll get to Jamaica Ave & 169th street to wait for the Q54 around 8:00-8:10pm and for whatever reason two or three Q54’s are always bunched up and I don’t end up getting on a Q54 until 8:40-8:45pm.

The routes that I know of with the worst on time performance in Queens are Q25, Q36, Q38, Q54, Q59, Q77, Q110. Then there are some routes like the Q3, Q8, Q23, Q24, Q41, Q56, Q60, Q65, Q112 that often have its moments as well, but not as bad as the first lists of routes I mentioned.

As far as maintenance goes I was very surprised to find out CP was struggling with its buses because their maintenance was always better compared to JFK, LGA and BP. JFK and LGA improved a lot overs the years but some in the transit community are still harsh towards those two depots. 

I remember one afternoon in the PM Rush I believe, I saw at least 5 Q25 locals & limiteds all bunching together with a Q34 right behind 

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught a 40 foot bus on the M34A this morning, which I have not seen outside of the ice/snow days. I joked to the B/O that they are giving out short buses now, and he laughed and said they didn't have enough artics this morning to make service, so they gave him this. 

Interestingly, I noticed that despite the destination sign saying M34 A SBS, the rear door OMNY reader was not working and still said "enter through front door" or whatever it says on local routes. I thought the readers were tied into the destination sign? I've noticed the same thing when one of the non-branded M15 local buses are put on the M15 SBS, onkly the front OMNY reader works 

Is this the first instance of express buses ever being cross-honored in the LIRR?

Eastbound QM2, QM4 and QM20 buses are detoured because of roadwork on 59th St between Lexington Ave and 3rd Ave.
In Manhattan, eastbound buses will not serve any stops on E 59th St. While detoured, buses will make stops as requested on E 57th St.

In Queens, buses will take the Long Island Expressway instead of Queens Blvd.

The following buses are detoured because the Queens Midtown Tunnel is partially closed:
QM:
2/3/4/10/12/20/24/32/34/40/42/44
Buses will use the 59th St Bridge to proceed to the LIE in both directions.
Long Island Rail Road is cross-honoring QM bus customers between Queens and Manhattan.
Note: Bus arrival information may not be available/accurate while buses are detoured.

50 minutes ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I heard bus 7186 on a bx33 was taken oos with the sign flashing call police cause the foamers were harassing the b/o?!

Yes, I heard about that too. It really annoys me with these foamers, and how it can ruin anybody's day.

6 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

I heard bus 7186 on a bx33 was taken oos with the sign flashing call police cause the foamers were harassing the b/o?!

I'm not sure if thats true because the bus was back in service. The discord has been posting some sketchy stuff lately.

7 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I'm not sure if thats true because the bus was back in service. The discord has been posting some sketchy stuff lately.

I can confirm there was a point it went oos with the call police signs, I saw it in person. I also saw it go back into service after passing Willis Av.

Not to mention it was weird the bus was out of service with passengers on board, so the driver at least skipped a couple stops.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

19 hours ago, 7-express said:

Is this the first instance of express buses ever being cross-honored in the LIRR?

I don't remember seeing this before either, but when I think about it, they do it somewhat often for when the subway GOs are in effect, so they should certainly do it for express bus changes with a travel disaster like we had yesterday!

12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I didn't mind the S62's destination sign when it just read "Travis".... OTOH, the Q77's sign reading Springfield Gardens irks me to no end.....

It irks me too. Giving me PBL vibes. I wonder what it would say should it end at JFK depot if this proposal goes through

On 9/3/2024 at 4:06 PM, poopybutt123 said:

I remember one afternoon in the PM Rush I believe, I saw at least 5 Q25 locals & limiteds all bunching together with a Q34 right behind 

Yup that’s the norm and then it would be followed by a 20+ minute gap. Crazy how they have been getting away with running service like that for years. 

5 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

Is it that hard for the Q77 to say Springfield Gardens/Conduit Av?

The (MTA) themselves don’t know where that route ends. The buses themselves say Springfield Gardens, the bus schedule says Laurelton andon the pdf map it shows S/B buses making a left on S Conduit a right on 225th street another right on 145th Ave and a final right back onto Springfield Blvd. The bus stop sign is still there on Springfield & 145th Ave too but I’ve never seen any bus start from there ever since they did that construction along that stretch in Springfield some years back at this point. 
The Belt Parkway itself divides Laurelton from Springfield Gardens.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

6 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

It irks me too. Giving me PBL vibes. I wonder what it would say should it end at JFK depot if this proposal goes through

"JFK Airport"

54 minutes ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (MTA) themselves don’t know where that route ends......

Because they keep changing the damn terminal !

15 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

The (MTA) themselves don’t know where that route ends. The buses themselves say Springfield Gardens, the bus schedule says Laurelton and on the pdf map it shows S/B buses making a left on S Conduit a right on 225th street another right on 145th Ave and a final right back onto Springfield Blvd. The bus stop sign is still there on Springfield & 145th Ave too but I’ve never seen any bus start from there ever since they did that construction along that stretch in Springfield some years back at this point. 
The Belt Parkway itself divides Laurelton from Springfield Gardens

The bus map shows S Conduit-225-N Conduit then Springfield. Anyway, Laurelton, Springfield Gardens and Rosedale seem to overlap each other. 

15 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

"JFK Airport"

I could see the confusion now. "But, but your sign said JFK. You don't go to the terminals?" 

13 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

“Springfield Gardens- Rockaway Blvd” maybe?

Or maybe leave it at Rockaway Blvd like the current Q3 and Q6 short turns. Still feel the Q78 should moved forward in the redesign

This year's busfest with buses at the Brooklyn Bridge Park has a long line to go in and out of the units. Except for XE-40 4980. A pin was chosen out of: Charleston, Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, Manhattanville and Kingsbridge. 

Edited by Calvin
XDE was fixed, XE

1 minute ago, Calvin said:

This year's busfest with buses at the Brooklyn Bridge Park has a long line to go in and out of the units. Except for XDE-40 4980. A pin was chosen out of: Charleston, Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, Manhattanville and Kingsbridge. 

and there were like two fights that broke out I heard

11 minutes ago, Calvin said:

This year's busfest with buses at the Brooklyn Bridge Park has a long line to go in and out of the units. Except for XDE-40 4980. A pin was chosen out of: Charleston, Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, Manhattanville and Kingsbridge. 

*XE40

1 hour ago, Calvin said:

This year's busfest with buses at the Brooklyn Bridge Park has a long line to go in and out of the units. Except for XE-40 4980. A pin was chosen out of: Charleston, Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, Manhattanville and Kingsbridge.

Yep, I got the Manhattanville and Kingsbridge pins.

Edited by TyBusLover1

Just now, 4P3607 said:

What ever happened to those 15 or so MCIs from NJT that were sent to Staten? 

Almost all of them are still stored at Eastchester apart from the two or three units they repaired and repainted in the old TA colors. Not sure what’s gonna happen to them now that they don’t need them for the axed service boosts.

On 9/9/2024 at 7:28 PM, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Almost all of them are still stored at Eastchester apart from the two or three units they repaired and repainted in the old TA colors. Not sure what’s gonna happen to them now that they don’t need them for the axed service boosts.

They are going to need those buses and I highly suggest that they have them ready as soon as they can.

For starters, having a one hour gap on the SIM23 and SIM24 during rush hours is unacceptable. One of the reasons why I do not support congestion pricing (despite understanding the MTA's legitimate need for capital funds) is that I do not expect the MTA to be able to keep up with the increased demand for service once the charge begins. Hochul postponed the congestion zone because it was being held against Team D during election season. I expect Hochul to greenlight a January start for the program.

In addition, it is my expectation that the US military will start asking transit agencies to help with troop movements next year.

6 hours ago, JAzumah said:

They are going to need those buses and I highly suggest that they have them ready as soon as they can.

For starters, having a one hour gap on the SIM23 and SIM24 during rush hours is unacceptable. One of the reasons why I do not support congestion pricing (despite understanding the MTA's legitimate need for capital funds) is that I do not expect the MTA to be able to keep up with the increased demand for service once the charge begins. Hochul postponed the congestion zone because it was being held against Team D during election season. I expect Hochul to greenlight a January start for the program.

In addition, it is my expectation that the US military will start asking transit agencies to help with troop movements next year.

I never said they didn’t need them at all fella.