BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Cameras are installed and live on buses as the Bx36 is part of the route that'll have it. It's said (at 0:47) that the route is the slowest route with maneuver and double-parked vehicles left and right.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2023/06/16/bus-ticket-cameras-come-to-bronx-s-tremont-avenue-bus-route?cid=id-app15_m-share_s-web_cmp-app_launch_august2020_c-producer_posts_po-organic&fbclid=IwAR2hEyG2TuWAY8qJkJCtPe14mN6Ot_m4QcIGA8VgTaa3XdHyukjZmH6KBN8

Edited by Calvin

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

On 6/15/2023 at 5:38 PM, R32 3838 said:

This is my biggest pet peeve, Idiots blowing through the bike lanes in the opposite direction and blowing red lights. The amount of times i almost got hurt because of these idiots I've lost count. They need to enforce the rules on every major bike lane because it's getting very annoying.

Don’t get me started, you mention anything about enforcing traffic rules with cyclists and the entire biking community will come after you…🙄

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Don’t get me started, you mention anything about enforcing traffic rules with cyclists and the entire biking community will come after you…🙄

I use the bike lanes myself on my scooter when doing deliveries, Most of these clowns blow through red lights like it's nothing. Then when they get hit by a car, the media wants us to feel bad for them.

Even though this unrelated to bikes, That woman that got dragged 100 feet for crossing trying to make the light should teach anyone to be careful. I was in that area when it happened but didn't realize what happened until i went on twitter and saw the aftermath of that which was very graphic.

45 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

I use the bike lanes myself on my scooter when doing deliveries, Most of these clowns blow through red lights like it's nothing. Then when they get hit by a car, the media wants us to feel bad for them.

Even though this unrelated to bikes, That woman that got dragged 100 feet for crossing trying to make the light should teach anyone to be careful. I was in that area when it happened but didn't realize what happened until i went on twitter and saw the aftermath of that which was very graphic.

Being a B/O and having seen this, they need to be more worried about scooters and bikes creeping up alongside the buses…

Some Bus Time errors I've noticed:
On MTA Bus Time (and subsequently all apps/entities that use MTA Bus Time like the Transit App and the Onboard Announcements), the M9 skips Avenue C/12th St and puts Avenue C/14th St before the light on the Northbound Side, which is where the stop had previously been but it's now moved to across the light. The M14D on the other hand has the route go on 13th St, 14th St and the 14th St Service Road for some odd reason (which also displays in other apps). It still lists the M14A stop as being separate from the stop on 14th St with it stopping after it turns the corner, and still has the L92 listed (though the stops listed are just M14A stops). 

On 6/18/2023 at 12:34 AM, xD4nn said:

I've noticed that they've started installing the new clever radios on the Bronx buses. Are they doing it borough by borough? 

They had the radios installed on many brooklyn buses for some time but not every bus. 

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Today I rode an S79 which took the UPPER level of the VZ Bridge. First time I been on an local bus that went on the upper level of the bridge.

Also three S79s were bunched up, never seen that before.

never seen 79's take the upper lever either, however i assumed it could be done if necessary. the bunching on the 79 i have seen however. pm rush, staten island bound... at least when the 42xx NG's were out there, I'd see it happen rather often. 

On 6/18/2023 at 12:34 AM, xD4nn said:

I've noticed that they've started installing the new clever radios on the Bronx buses. Are they doing it borough by borough? 

They've ramped up the installation of the new radio system in recent months. Gleason almost has all their buses outfitted...

On 6/18/2023 at 3:48 PM, Lawrence St said:

Being a B/O and having seen this, they need to be more worried about scooters and bikes creeping up alongside the buses…

this is something Zerega warns people about since forever. cover your right. however, if some jackass isn't following the rules of the road, how is that "preventable" on your behalf? majority of my encounters with bikes/scooters, whether I'm on duty or in my personal vehicle(s), are with reckless a**holes who blow stop signs & red lights. and most of those scooters are illegal as hell. no plates, helmets, whatever. I'm gonna keep it a buck: i don't report to the crew with malicious intent. my intentions are to make it home safely. last thing i want is an on-board or to take a life/take lives. with that being said, if someone blows thru a stop sign or red light on me and something unfortunate happens... oh well, it is what it is. things keep getting progressively worse with them specifically, and no one is enforcing them. 

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

8 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

this is something Zerega warns people about since forever. cover your right. however, if some jackass isn't following the rules of the road, how is that "preventable" on your behalf? majority of my encounters with bikes/scooters, whether I'm on duty or in my personal vehicle(s), are with reckless a**holes who blow stop signs & red lights. and most of those scooters are illegal as hell. no plates, helmets, whatever. I'm gonna keep it a buck: i don't report to the crew with malicious intent. my intentions are to make it home safely. last thing i want is an on-board or to take a life/take lives. with that being said, if someone blows thru a stop sign or red light on me and something unfortunate happens... oh well, it is what it is. things keep getting progressively worse with them specifically, and no one is enforcing them. 

EXACTLY!!! These morons are like cats, you take your eyes off your right side for ONE second and these morons spawn out of nowhere and think its a good idea to squeeze between a 60,000 pound bus and a 10,000 pound parked car.

25 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

EXACTLY!!! These morons are like cats, you take your eyes off your right side for ONE second and these morons spawn out of nowhere and think its a good idea to squeeze between a 60,000 pound bus and a 10,000 pound parked car.

if you pull a rolling stop in front of a cop, chances are, they'll stop you and give you a warning. hell, years ago, the 69th precinct would pull up on b/o's out of east ny & UP to warn us that our supervision was looking to issue rolling stop violations at the corner of 105 & glenwood (when there was a stop sign). meanwhile, ZERO enforcement for bikes and scooters who perform rolling stops or simply blow thru them at top speed. spare me this "righteous" outrage against motorists in this city when there's a growing sub-culture that's completely un-policed and getting out of hand. not to say that reckless drivers shouldn't be deterred. I'm from east flatbush. i know what recklessness happens on the main roads (utica, kings highway, etc) and the side streets... speeding down one-ways, kids getting hit/killed in front of their family home... trust me i get it. but these motherless f**ks are no better. and what's sad is i have yet to hear responsible bike riders condemn them in public or on the news.

5 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

if you pull a rolling stop in front of a cop, chances are, they'll stop you and give you a warning. hell, years ago, the 69th precinct would pull up on b/o's out of east ny & UP to warn us that our supervision was looking to issue rolling stop violations at the corner of 105 & glenwood (when there was a stop sign). meanwhile, ZERO enforcement for bikes and scooters who perform rolling stops or simply blow thru them at top speed. spare me this "righteous" outrage against motorists in this city when there's a growing sub-culture that's completely un-policed and getting out of hand. not to say that reckless drivers shouldn't be deterred. I'm from east flatbush. i know what recklessness happens on the main roads (utica, kings highway, etc) and the side streets... speeding down one-ways, kids getting hit/killed in front of their family home... trust me i get it. but these motherless f**ks are no better. and what's sad is i have yet to hear responsible bike riders condemn them in public or on the news.

And even when these e-bikes/scooters aren't being used, they seem to constantly catch on fire and burn down buildings! And I've been hearing that a lot of drug dealers like to use them because they are very hard to track/trace. What a mess.

23 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

And even when these e-bikes/scooters aren't being used, they seem to constantly catch on fire and burn down buildings! And I've been hearing that a lot of drug dealers like to use them because they are very hard to track/trace. What a mess.

I've heard that as well in regards to crime in general being associated with e-bikes & scooters. wait... didn't a repair shop for e-bikes just go up in flames recently?

btw i just read that transit recently banned e-bikes/scooters from all depots. i don't know too many employees that use them tho.

Novabus will be officially leaving the American market by 2025. Novabus aims to close its Plattsburgh, New York plant and cease operations by 2025.
https://www.truckpartsandservice.com/business/article/15541016/nova-bus-ending-us-production-will-remain-in-canada 
https://novabus.com/blog/2023/06/21/nova-bus-changes-its-business-model-and-ends-bus-production-in-the-us/

Edited by xD4nn

8 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I've heard that as well in regards to crime in general being associated with e-bikes & scooters. wait... didn't a repair shop for e-bikes just go up in flames recently?

btw i just read that transit recently banned e-bikes/scooters from all depots. i don't know too many employees that use them tho.

Yup, and FDNY said they had given violations to the e-bike repair shop recently. Sigh.

I think the City Council is planning to ban them from all buildings, and a lot of buildings already forbid it because their insurance companies told them it's a liability otherwise, based on what a friend of mine in real estate told me.

23 hours ago, xD4nn said:

Novabus will be officially leaving the American market by 2025. Novabus aims to close its Plattsburgh, New York plant and cease operations by 2025.
https://www.truckpartsandservice.com/business/article/15541016/nova-bus-ending-us-production-will-remain-in-canada 
https://novabus.com/blog/2023/06/21/nova-bus-changes-its-business-model-and-ends-bus-production-in-the-us/

This is really bad, there aren't many options for reputable bus builders in NA. This can basically turn NF into a monopoly.

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

This is really bad, there aren't many options for reputable bus builders in NA. This can basically turn NF into a monopoly.

Not necessarily.

Nova's departure(again) would allow other companies like Gillig and Eldorado to move in, and Eldorado has been making big gains in California and other parts of the US. If either wanted an east coast facility, this would be prime for the purchase.