• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• B35 via Church

Top Posters In This Topic

Was walking through Downtown near Fulton Center earlier. Is there any reason why it seems that none of the express bus stops have maps or timetables in the Guide A Ride boxes? All of the stops I saw had the boxes but they were empty.

Likely due to new bus stops being put in. The DOT installs them, but I believe the (MTA) puts in the actual schedules so whenever they get around to them... They recently did that with the stop at Broadway and 230th after people complained about not knowing where to stand. The actual schedules are located where the bus stop is for the Bx7 and Bx20.

The thing is that the X1 serves Downtown in addition to West Midtown.....and it's the only one to do so since the X3 & X4 stop running earlier than the other lines (I guess the X8 helps a little, but still). Around that timeframe, the X5 & X7 still run, and I guess the MTA figured they were helpful in skimming the Midtown riders off the X1 from points south of Midland, so they decided to try the same thing on the northern part of Hylan with the X2. 

I don't see any evidence that the MTA is doing anything more than dividing up the riders more efficiently. I worked at the Hylan Blvd overpass last year, and I don't recall seeing instances of X1s flagging people while X2s were empty during that timeframe. If I saw that happening, then I'd agree that they're trying to force the X2 down riders throats.

Oh please.  You know damn well what happens when you slash frequencies enough and make commuters' commutes more inconvenient... You reduce usage eventually.  If we're looking at the figures without considering such tactics, then sure there's no evidence of any underhanded tactics going on, but I don't buy it for a second that the (MTA) was simply dividing up the riders more efficiently.  If they were increasing the number of super express routes then I could buy that, but they've only had the X21 start up with rather anemic service initially.  Meanwhile they have routes like the X17C meandering throughout Staten Island down to Tottenville.  Given such circumstances, the logic makes no sense.

Why can't it be dynamic? There are no stops between the airport and 74th Street/Roosevelt Ave, why can't the B/O use the GCP when there is no traffic, and avoid it when there is traffic?

They almost always do that, even the M60 would. It depends on the day and how bad traffic is

it usually depends on the driver rookie drivers tend to stay on route most often then those with years of experience. The last time I rode the QM20 SPEXP it used the GCP over Astoria Blvd.

Oh please.  You know damn well what happens when you slash frequencies enough and make commuters' commutes more inconvenient... You reduce usage eventually.  If we're looking at the figures without considering such tactics, then sure there's no evidence of any underhanded tactics going on, but I don't buy it for a second that the (MTA) was simply dividing up the riders more efficiently.  If they were increasing the number of super express routes then I could buy that, but they've only had the X21 start up with rather anemic service initially.  Meanwhile they have routes like the X17C meandering throughout Staten Island down to Tottenville.  Given such circumstances, the logic makes no sense.

With super-express routes, the question is how much time could you realistically save if you're not on a highway. Like I don't see how you could realistically make a super-express on the Staten Island portion of the X1 (obviously, we discussed ways of making super-expresses on the Manhattan end). For example, on the X21, it's quicker than going up Richmond Avenue on the X17J (assuming the West Shore Expressway isn't completely jammed), and obviously significantly quicker than the X5/X7. But how much could you save by having buses go nonstop north of say, New Dorp? North of Midland, the X4/5/7/8 don't make too many stops anyway.

On the North Shore, it's already divided up during rush hour with the X17 getting on the SIE at Richmond, the X10/11/12/42 getting on at Slosson, and the X14/15 covering the areas near the bridge.

In any case, my point still stands: The MTA adding a single bus (years ago....we're talking around the time of the 2010 service cuts) on the X2 instead of the X1 doesn't do anything to prove that they're trying to keep "the masses" off the express bus.

Rode 7631 on the B103 today :D:D what crazy is I didn't have to wait a long time, it was the first 103 to show up since I was standing at the bus stop :lol:

Had me at the bus stop like

aetwye.jpg

Complete opposite happened to me after an orthodontist appointment. Rode 7657 on the B100 but waited on a ridiculously long line after a packed C40LF left Kings Highway. Still got to sit for my trip tho ????

What surprised me was that there were 2 more O7 CNGs on layover behind 7657 (one of which was 7624)

Edited by Neko Boy With Glasse

With super-express routes, the question is how much time could you realistically save if you're not on a highway. Like I don't see how you could realistically make a super-express on the Staten Island portion of the X1 (obviously, we discussed ways of making super-expresses on the Manhattan end). For example, on the X21, it's quicker than going up Richmond Avenue on the X17J (assuming the West Shore Expressway isn't completely jammed), and obviously significantly quicker than the X5/X7. But how much could you save by having buses go nonstop north of say, New Dorp? North of Midland, the X4/5/7/8 don't make too many stops anyway.

On the North Shore, it's already divided up during rush hour with the X17 getting on the SIE at Richmond, the X10/11/12/42 getting on at Slosson, and the X14/15 covering the areas near the bridge.

In any case, my point still stands: The MTA adding a single bus (years ago....we're talking around the time of the 2010 service cuts) on the X2 instead of the X1 doesn't do anything to prove that they're trying to keep "the masses" off the express bus.

That X2 was just an example.  The X9 is a much better one.  You give people working in West Midtown the X9 with less frequent service and then have all of these X1 buses starting at 23rd.  I don't see any benefit in that.  What would be good is a super express bus to West Midtown.  PM you could have some X9s run from Central Park South to 23rd and then take the FDR Drive non stop to Fingerboard.

That X2 was just an example.  The X9 is a much better one.  You give people working in West Midtown the X9 with less frequent service and then have all of these X1 buses starting at 23rd.  I don't see any benefit in that.  What would be good is a super express bus to West Midtown.  PM you could have some X9s run from Central Park South to 23rd and then take the FDR Drive non stop to Fingerboard.

The X9 is faster than the X1 since it doesn't make as many stops in Lower Manhattan, so whatever time you lose on the wait, you save on the bus itself. Aside from that, the X9 isn't that infrequent. It runs at a similar frequency to the X10B, X14, X30, etc (and yes, I know those are all North Shore buses).

But in any case, some type of West Midtown Super Express was what I was mentioning before. Alright, so you think 5th-23rd would be better than going across 42nd Street. Fair enough. 

The X9 is faster than the X1 since it doesn't make as many stops in Lower Manhattan, so whatever time you lose on the wait, you save on the bus itself. Aside from that, the X9 isn't that infrequent. It runs at a similar frequency to the X10B, X14, X30, etc (and yes, I know those are all North Shore buses).

But in any case, some type of West Midtown Super Express was what I was mentioning before. Alright, so you think 5th-23rd would be better than going across 42nd Street. Fair enough. 

I only thought about making it 23rd because of where those X1s start at.  

Yep. On a pilot run. On one right now in fact and just got checked by the Eagle Team at 6:14am on a saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

IDK if this is true or not bus I only think they check between the hours of 6AM-9PM I've never seen them earlier than 6AM and the last time I saw them after 9PM it was them packing up. In Fact they check a bus at 8:56PM but they didn't check the bus came at at 9:03PM

I mean, I know the MTA is slow when it comes to updating information, but this takes the cake:

http://web.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/bronx/bx033cur.pdf

Look at the routing in Port Morris and timepoint in Port Morris. Does it look off to you?

Well, it should. The Bx33 has not operated down Locust Avenue in over 10 years, yet the timetables still show the old routing (back when the Bx33 ran down to Locust Avenue & E 132 Street, and when the Bx17 ran to Port Morris). IDK when buses were rerouted onto Walnut Avenue, but the Novemver 2006 map shows the bus going up Walnut Avenue. I actually relied on the schedule about 2 months ago when riding the Bx33 for the first time, and I almost thought I was losing it with the Bx33 not having any stops. I had to go on Google Maps to find the location of the stops, which were all one block west.

Another thing: The Q54, Q58, and Q59 timetables STILL have the "Q45" as a transfer choice at 80 Street (on the map). The last time the Q45 ran was almost 6 years ago. How much longer will the MTA keep this up for, IDK.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl

I mean, I know the MTA is slow when it comes to updating information, but this takes the cake:

Look at the routing in Port Morris and timepoint in Port Morris. Does it look off to you?

Well, it should. The Bx33 has not operated down Locust Avenue in over 10 years, yet the timetables still show the old routing (back when the Bx33 ran down to Locust Avenue & E 132 Street, and when the Bx17 ran to Port Morris). IDK when buses were rerouted onto Walnut Avenue, but the Novemver 2006 map shows the bus going up Walnut Avenue. I actually relied on the schedule about 2 months ago when riding the Bx33 for the first time, and I almost thought I was losing it with the Bx33 not having any stops. I had to go on Google Maps to find the location of the stops, which were all one block west.

I'd laugh, but it shows you what they think about the Bx33; one of those routes they don't want to even provide service for....

Another thing: The Q54, Q58, and Q59 timetables STILL have the "Q45" as a transfer choice at 80 Street (on the map). The last time the Q45 ran was almost 6 years ago. How much longer will the MTA keep this up for, IDK.

Back then, both the Bx17/33 used to terminate in front of the Walnut Depot for 15 years until the depot closed. Then they move the Bx17 to serve 132 & St Ann's (the old Bx32's terminal until 1984). The Bx17 serves a portion of the old Bx32 south of 149th St. the Bx33 was moved away from the old stop and terminates at 133 & Walnut.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

If you want more, the S53 and S93 timetables have the B20 listed as a transfer in Brooklyn instead of the B70.

Want another one? The X68 Stop at Queens Blvd,and Main it's there but isn't noted anywhere on BusTime