• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Mass confusion on Friday. This is just the 2nd day of the bus stop relocations. Bus drivers have no mercy skipping stops for sure and you can't blame them with supervisors everywhere. They bypass them with the longest lines and when they pull up to the relocated stops they take the ppl there, like 1 or 2 ppl. Then haul ass off cause they never experienced such luck before.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Besides the moved stops, it looks like they made the 39 Av bus terminal area into a two way street. I remember one way, not 2.

B35 Select Bus Service, Thoughts?

Definitely an interesting idea. A busy route connecting many lines. However, I see a few issues with it. The line currently uses 40 foot buses. looking at the route, I don't believe people would enjoy 60 foot buses on the comparatively tight roads. Kind of like what happened with the Q10 when they began running 60 foot buses. Of course, all of this could be avoided by using 40 foot buses like the B46 SBS. Another thing: When you get to the north flatbush area on the current route, the Limited Stops are very close together (I'm assuming you are saying the current limited stops would be kept). I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work too well that close, and there'd be quite an arguement over where to keep the stops. Also, the SBS routes tend to have a main place or attraction at one end or a long the route, or travel through pretty dense areas. While important, I'm not sure the B35 really fits that. Of course, all of these are minor things, and this could possibly work.

I have a question: Why is the Q10 so busy? They added 60 foot buses just to keep up with overcrowding. But looking at the route and where it goes, I don't understand why it is this way. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

Definitely an interesting idea. A busy route connecting many lines. However, I see a few issues with it. The line currently uses 40 foot buses. looking at the route, I don't believe people would enjoy 60 foot buses on the comparatively tight roads. Kind of like what happened with the Q10 when they began running 60 foot buses. Of course, all of this could be avoided by using 40 foot buses like the B46 SBS. Another thing: When you get to the north flatbush area on the current route, the Limited Stops are very close together (I'm assuming you are saying the current limited stops would be kept). I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work too well that close, and there'd be quite an arguement over where to keep the stops. Also, the SBS routes tend to have a main place or attraction at one end or a long the route, or travel through pretty dense areas. While important, I'm not sure the B35 really fits that. Of course, all of these are minor things, and this could possibly work.

I have a question: Why is the Q10 so busy? They added 60 foot buses just to keep up with overcrowding. But looking at the route and where it goes, I don't understand why it is this way. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

The q10 bus is so busy because a lot of people comes from/to the airport and it's like a connection to manhattan where you can take the bus all the way to the last stop kew gardens union typke and transfer to the subway E/F train.

The q10 bus is so busy because a lot of people comes from/to the airport and it's like a connection to manhattan where you can take the bus all the way to the last stop kew gardens union typke and transfer to the subway E/F train.

Agree! Me being a regular commuter on that route, the buses are always completely PACKED. Lots of bunching during the peak hours. Especially at around 3:30, the previous bus would leave Kew Gardens at 3:15 or so and then 4-5 buses would all come bunched together at around 3:35. I don't think more buses need to be added or the frequency changed, it just needs some "bus-management" and more short trippers to Rockaway Blvd.

A few things going on...

They've got checkers on the Yonkers express buses. Had one on both BxM2 buses I took today. Interestingly enough both drivers were courteous. I was asked to complete a surveyor on one which I did.

On the BxM6 I took coming back from Parkchester, we had the rudest a-hole. He's on break eating and opens the door to throw his trash out. An older woman waiting was obviously cold, so she walks towards the bus and boy did she make a mistake. He says "Calm down. Calm down. There's still a few minutes left... Not unless you want to get on", and then chuckles as if it's cute. She was clearly pissed. Everyone just waited. Then he waives us on. So incredibly rude. If you're going to park at the bus stop knowing it's cold out, have the decency to let people on. Things like this is exactly why ridership is where it is.

I wouldn't have got on that bus... I have waved buses off (locals & expresses) because of that sort of thing.... Don't treat me like I'm some sort of criminal because I'm waiting for a bus at a terminal stop... AFAIC, it all ties into an earlier point you made about consistency... On layover, I've experienced b/o's:

* leaving the doors open, while inside the bus, waving people on

* leaving the doors open, while inside the bus, rejecting the boarding of passengers

[sometimes, the b/o will give an attitude about this... as if pax are supposed to know that we can/can't board the bus while you're on layover - It varies from b/o to b/o]

* leaving the doors open, standing outside the bus, waving people on

* leaving the doors open, standing outside the bus, rejecting the boarding of passengers

[what I notice about when the b/o's are standing outside the bus, is that they're more cordial about letting/not letting pax on the bus]

* doors initially closed, passenger oncoming, opens the door to let passengers on

* doors initially closed, opens the door to let passengers on, then closes the door to go to get something to eat, or use the bathroom or w/e....

[i'll never forget the bus (albeit out in suffolk county) where this last one here took place, and he gave us the riot act about boarding the bus when [the operator] is not on the bus - As if one of us pried the doors open to go sit down.... All of us yelled that YOU LET US ON THE BUS BEFORE YOU LEFT]

Universally, there should be no boarding of passengers while a bus is not in service.... And I'm saying that, on the passenger end of things - sun, rain, sleet, or snow.....

B35 Select Bus Service, Thoughts?

In short, won't make too much of a difference around here, just like the LTD's aren't - compared to the locals.....

Enjoying 60' buses isn't the issue (unless you tie that in with possible service cuts)... Church av being narrow as it is from Coney Island av eastward, for the major commercial strip that it is, would loom problematic... Same issue w/ running SBS on the B41.... Same reason they don't have SBS 46's running along Broadway.... I mean, I don't wave the pom-pom's for SBS at all, but I'm not putting stock into the whole 40' vs 60' thing....

As far as stops go, I'd fathom the # of LTD stops would be nerfed so badly, it wouldn't even be worth it for a lot of current residents along/around the B35 to even take the thing.... From Mcdonald (inclusive), they'd probably have the "stations" at Ocean Pkwy, E 18th, Flatbush, Nostrand, E 42nd, Utica, Remsen, then have the route run on Linden to stop at Rockaway Pkwy/Linden, turn off to stop at Rockaway av/Hegeman, then regular route to the current terminal (M. Gaston/Hegeman).... They will change the routings of these buses to try to "force" it to work (in their eyes).... After what they did w/ the B44, I was done.....

* masses seeking the QB subway lines

* first dibs at a seat on the (A)

* the Q37 being significantly inferior to it, service-wise... so those coming off other bus routes xfer to it (over the Q37)

* JFK airport & the fact that it's a] better situated/centrally located to the rest of the city & b] offers more subway connections than the Q3....

I wouldn't have got on that bus... I have waved buses off (locals & expresses) because of that sort of thing.... Don't treat me like I'm some sort of criminal because I'm waiting for a bus at a terminal stop... AFAIC, it all ties into an earlier point you made about consistency... On layover, I've experienced b/o's:

* leaving the doors open, while inside the bus, waving people on

* leaving the doors open, while inside the bus, rejecting the boarding of passengers

[sometimes, the b/o will give an attitude about this... as if pax are supposed to know that we can/can't board the bus while you're on layover - It varies from b/o to b/o]

* leaving the doors open, standing outside the bus, waving people on

* leaving the doors open, standing outside the bus, rejecting the boarding of passengers

[what I notice about when the b/o's are standing outside the bus, is that they're more cordial about letting/not letting pax on the bus]

* doors initially closed, passenger oncoming, opens the door to let passengers on

* doors initially closed, opens the door to let passengers on, then closes the door to go to get something to eat, or use the bathroom or w/e....

[i'll never forget the bus (albeit out in suffolk county) where this last one here took place, and he gave us the riot act about boarding the bus when [the operator] is not on the bus - As if one of us pried the doors open to go sit down.... All of us yelled that YOU LET US ON THE BUS BEFORE YOU LEFT]

Universally, there should be no boarding of passengers while a bus is not in service.... And I'm saying that, on the passenger end of things - sun, rain, sleet, or snow.....

Oh I wasn't even near the bus. I was standing by the bus shelter on my phone when this went down. You see I'm used to B/O's pulling that BS. I had missed the previous one and saw the guy get on with his lunch so I already knew the deal. That lady seemed like a prima donna though (you know the ones I'm talking about lol) because she was determined to get on the bus first (even though I had arrived a good 30-40 minutes before when no one was at the stop), so in a way it served her @ss right. lol I didn't get on until it was clear that he was waiving people on. I don't think he realized how rude he came off when he said what he said and then laughed, but his message was received loud and clear, hence why no one got on, even when he left the doors open for us to do so. I don't care how hot or cold it is. I simply wait if I'm early. I don't need the drama. Now if I know the B/O and he offers to let me on early that's a different story, but I never ask or expect it, just like I never ask to be let off at non-stops unless it is offered.

I've become fed up with the whole situation, so when I do use the express bus, my goal is to get on safely, pay and take my seat. I don't interact with any driver unless I know them or they speak. Otherwise I get on pay and get off. No greeting or any of that. I may say thank you if the driver was really courteous, otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Oh I wasn't even near the bus. I was standing by the bus shelter on my phone when this went down. You see I'm used to B/O's pulling that BS. I had missed the previous one and saw the guy get on with his lunch so I already knew the deal. That lady seemed like a prima donna though (you know the ones I'm talking about lol) because she was determined to get on the bus first (even though I had arrived a good 30-40 minutes before when no one was at the stop), so in a way it served her @ss right. lol I didn't get on until it was clear that he was waiving people on. I don't think he realized how rude he came off when he said what he said and then laughed, but his message was received loud and clear, hence why no one got on, even when he left the doors open for us to do so. I don't care how hot or cold it is. I simply wait if I'm early. I don't need the drama. Now if I know the B/O and he offers to let me on early that's a different story, but I never ask or expect it, just like I never ask to be let off at non-stops unless it is offered.

I've become fed up with the whole situation, so when I do use the express bus, my goal is to get on safely, pay and take my seat. I don't interact with any driver unless I know them or they speak. Otherwise I get on pay and get off. No greeting or any of that. I may say thank you if the driver was really courteous, otherwise I keep my mouth shut.

With those types (the lady I'm talking about), I'm surprised she didn't mouth off to that b/o (or did she?)..... I'm not even tryna be funny, you will get women that will sit & bitch about a situation for the duration throughout their whole time on the bus (although this is way more common on the local buses, it happens on the expresses at times also) - to the point where you want to throw her off the bus.... Like STFU already..... People are nutty no matter where you go these days - passengers & bus ops alike.....

About interacting w/ the b/o's, this has been my M.O. from jump - especially understanding their defensiveness, with all these assaults on b/o's these nutty passengers have been initiating.... I don't want to give them any reason to believe I'm going to try to pull some shit - even if it's by giving a salutation....

When I'm waiting for a bus at a terminal, I usually walk pace around back & forth about the immediate area until the b/o powers the bus on or w/e.... Then I proceed towards the bus stop.... I'm not on that wanting to be the first person on the bus tip anymore; I don't want to be part of the pushing/shoving/nudging.....

With those types (the lady I'm talking about), I'm surprised she didn't mouth off to that b/o (or did she?)..... I'm not even tryna be funny, you will get women that will sit & bitch about a situation for the duration throughout their whole time on the bus (although this is way more common on the local buses, it happens on the expresses at times also) - to the point where you want to throw her off the bus.... Like STFU already..... People are nutty no matter where you go these days - passengers & bus ops alike.....

About interacting w/ the b/o's, this has been my M.O. from jump - especially understanding their defensiveness, with all these assaults on b/o's these nutty passengers have been initiating.... I don't want to give them any reason to believe I'm going to try to pull some shit - even if it's by giving a salutation....

When I'm waiting for a bus at a terminal, I usually walk pace around back & forth about the immediate area until the b/o powers the bus on or w/e.... Then I proceed towards the bus stop.... I'm not on that wanting to be the first person on the bus tip anymore; I don't want to be part of the pushing/shoving/nudging.....

What she did was roll her eyes, as if to say oh boy, here we go, with some head movement. lol Some of those Parkchester folks can be incredibly snobby so that made it even funnier. I agree though. Some women are really over dramatic, but some will look for any reason to file a complaint when they're really pissed. This B/O I know told me a funny story about how another express bus driver was playing favoritism. He let one woman on the bus with coffee but refused to let another one get on with it. She in turn filed a complaint against him. He was pissed, and had a few choice words for her. lol About pushing and shoving I normally don't care who gets on first, so long as I get my usual seat. That first BxM6 stop is supposed to have a line, but it varies depending on how many people are getting on. You have a few that will try to be slick and get on before everyone else. I just position myself accordingly as if to say no you don't MF. That's only when I want to show them that I know what you're trying to pull and let them know that your rude behavior is not OK... You're not getting on before me. I could care less about you being a regular because I am too. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Do you think the MTA would do a type of BRT where the Buses get their own row in the middle of the road. But in order to save space, the buses drive on the left so they can share a median for the bus stops?

This sounds like a great way to get into a lot of T-bone accidents.

Do you think the MTA would do a type of BRT where the Buses get their own row in the middle of the road. But in order to save space, the buses drive on the left so they can share a median for the bus stops?

I did hear a strange proposal for woodhaven Blvd for buses to run in the median for SBS. Not sure if it's real or not, it was awhile back

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but #5920 on the M23 has new LED screens. Also a different "Stop requested" announcement, and a map of the bus's current location, and some "bus quizzes" and safety announcements.

The only thing missing was the list of stops like the B44SBS has, as well as the date and time.

KYxyUSR.jpg

Edited by agar io

Don't know if this has been mentioned already, but #5920 on the M23 has new LED screens. Also a different "Stop requested" announcement, and a map of the bus's current location, and some "bus quizzes" and safety announcements.

The only thing missing was the list of stops like the B44SBS has, as well as the date and time.

KYxyUSR.jpg

It had it when it was at Stengel, hence why you see the display on the bus.

Major f****ry in Jackson Heights tonight...

DOT closed Roosevelt Avenue without notice at around 8 PM to all traffic, between 72 Street and 79 Street. For a brief moment, there was no SB Q53 service from Woodside and Jackson Heights, no Q70 SBS service from Woodside, and no Q32 service east of Woodside, because so many buses got stuck at 72 Street. Q47 service was severely affected. You had a conga line of around 10 buses going down from 72 Street to 69 Street, a mix of Q53's, Q70's, a Q47, and some Q32's. 

None of the operators knew about this, nor did dispatch, nor did the community. DOT posted signs at last minute, because when I was in Jackson Heights in the afternoon, I did not see them. The signs say that drivers will not be penalized if DOT has to tow the car (i.e; no fines). Goes to show you how f**ked up things were. In addition, Q33 and Q49 buses were rerouted down almost everywhere, and multiple BO's were calling their respective depots because nobody knew what was going on. 

Service has since resumed, but with extensive delays. The conga line of buses is still there, and you can see them on bustime. 

BTW, here's the detours  for those interested:

Service Change  Posted: 04/17/2017  9:22PM 

Q32Q33Q47Q49Q53 and Q70-SBS buses are detoured in both directions due to paving on Roosevelt Av between 74 St and 79 St.

Detour is as follows:

Q32 Jackson Hts-bound: Via Roosevelt Av, right on 69 St, left on Woodside Av and into Baxter Av, left on 83 St, left on Roosevelt Av, right on 81 St and regular route.

Q32 Penn Station-bound: Via 82 St, right on Baxter Av and into Woodside Av, right on 69 St, left on Roosevelt Av and regular route.

Q33 V M Terminal-bound: Via 82 St, right on 35 Av, right on 65 St, left on Broadway and into terminal.

Q33 59 St and Ditmars Blvd-bound: Via Broadway, left on Baxter Av, left on 83 St and regular route.

Q47 Atlas Mall-bound: Via 35 Av, right on 82 St, right on Baxter Av, right on Broadway, left on 69 St and regular route.

Q47 Marine Air Terminal-bound: Via 69 St, right on Woodside Av, left on 75 St, left on Broadway, right on 64 St, right on 35 Av, left on 74 St and regular route.

Q49 V M Terminal-bound: Via 35 Av, left on 82 St, right on Baxter Av, right on Broadway and regular route.

Q49 Astoria-bound: Via Broadway, right on 64 St, right on 35 Av and regular route.

Q53 Woodside-bound: Via Broadway, left on Woodside Av, right on 69 St, left on Roosevelt Av and regular route.

Q53 Rockaway-bound: Via Broadway, right on 69 St, left on Woodside Av, right on Broadway and regular route.

Q70-SBS Woodside-bound: Via Broadway (pick up at Q53 bus stop near side 75 St), right on 75 St, right on Woodside Av, right on 69 St, left on Roosevelt Av and regular route.

Q70-SBS LaGuardia-bound: Via Roosevelt Av, right on 69 St, left on Woodside Av, left on 75 Av, left on Broadway and regular route.

Allow additional travel time.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven Bl