• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

The news article said the bus had no passengers, did that mean after they evacuated or before otherwise that M101 was running hot.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

That's crazy.. But I believe they might fix it since these buses still look good and still have a few more years to go.

That's crazy.. But I believe they might fix it since these buses still look good and still have a few more years to go.

Highly doubt it. These buses have I'd say 2 more yrs max., one bad accident or fire and they are gone for good. If it took 1 hr to put out, certainly wasn't a small fire then and apparently there are charred remains.

I doubt that it'll be rebuilt seeing how a few years ago 5615, also at Tuskegee at the time, was burned in a similar fashion to 5719 and it was scrapped shortly after it burned. Also, the new 6000's are being delivered to Tuskegee over the next few months so don't expect to see 5719 back.

I doubt that it'll be rebuilt seeing how a few years ago 5615, also at Tuskegee at the time, was burned in a similar fashion to 5719 and it was scrapped shortly after it burned. Also, the new 6000's are being delivered to Tuskegee over the next few months so don't expect to see 5719 back.

So Depots don't fix buses when they go on fire but fix buses if like they crash into a car or building. I say this because I remember Manhattanville crashed in pizza shop and the whole front of the bus was destroyed but they fixed and that bus is still running so that's why I'm asking. Also what route are those 6000 going to run on when they arrive to TU?

So Depots don't fix buses when they go on fire but fix buses if like they crash into a car or building. I say this because I remember Manhattanville crashed in pizza shop and the whole front of the bus was destroyed but they fixed and that bus is still running so that's why I'm asking. Also what route are those 6000 going to run on when they arrive to TU?

Depends on how serious the fire is, and how old the bus is. If its gonna be retired soon, doesn't make sense spend money to fix it, for it to get scrapped in under 1000 days. 8017 was a fairly new Nova LFS from 2011, got into a serious fire, bus hasn't been fixed since. Some of the 2015 New Flyer XD40s are OOS for serious head on accidents, and they're expected to get fixed. Its easier to fix a frame than to fix charred parts and replace it with new parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's a difference with what you're talking about.

That hybrid got rebuilt because there was another hybrid pending scrap, in which they used various parts from that to repair and rebuild the bus in question.

This D60HF is one of many pending retirement, with XD60s coming very, very soon.

As for your question with the 6000s running on, they only run artics on 4 routes, so that should answer your question.

It's not worth the cost to repair this artic.

Edited by Cait Sith

There's a difference with what you're talking about.

That hybrid got rebuilt because there was another hybrid pending scrap, in which they used various parts from that to repair and rebuild the bus in question.

This D60HF is one of many pending retirement, with XD60s coming very, very soon.

As for your question with the 6000s running on, they only run artics on 4 routes, so that should answer your question.

It's not worth the cost to repair this artic.

Oh Ok I understand.

This applies to subways as well. The R142 and R142A are similar in design but made by two different companies. The decision to scrap a bus vs. rebuild one is made on a case by case basis.

How exactly does that work though?  I mean they're obviously not identical but pretty damn close.  What I'm surprised about is that none of these companies have been hauled into court for patent infringement.  I mean I would think the design and function of these buses would be protected for obvious reasons.  Just curious since part of my job involves working with patents from time to time.

How exactly does that work though?  I mean they're obviously not identical but pretty damn close.  What I'm surprised about is that none of these companies have been hauled into court for patent infringement.  I mean I would think the design and function of these buses would be protected for obvious reasons.  Just curious since part of my job involves working with patents from time to time.

The D60HF and C40LF are both manufactured by New Flyer, unless you are comparing the D60HF with the Orion 5, which other than having the same engine-transmission combo (usually spec'd by the customer) are pretty different in design.

As for the R142 and R142A comparison brought up earlier, the design was contracted out to Antenna Design which owns all the NTT designs (thats how the new WMATA trains look like R160s; WMATA contracted Antenna to make that design fit their specifications).

Antenna also owns the design of the MetroCard Vending Machines and the turnstiles.

The D60HF and C40LF are both manufactured by New Flyer, unless you are comparing the D60HF with the Orion 5, which other than having the same engine-transmission combo (usually spec'd by the customer) are pretty different in design.

As for the R142 and R142A comparison brought up earlier, the design was contracted out to Antenna Design which owns all the NTT designs (thats how the new WMATA trains look like R160s; WMATA contracted Antenna to make that design fit their specifications).

Antenna also owns the design of the MetroCard Vending Machines and the turnstiles.

Yeah I'm talking about the D60HF and Orion 5.  They don't look that different to me.  If I took the D60HF and made it into a 40 footer, I don't see much of a difference, save the design of the back and the muffler. The front looks almost identical.

Yeah I'm talking about the D60HF and Orion 5.  They don't look that different to me.  If I took the D60HF and made it into a 40 footer, I don't see much of a difference, save the design of the back and the muffler. The front looks almost identical.

Just to show you the differences here is an Orion V and a D40HF (the 40 foot version of the D60HF). Specifically note the number of windows between the front and rear doors and the arrangements of the doors themselves and the arrangement of the front lights and locations of various other turning signals and reflective strips...

That indented drivers window is also essentially an Orion trademark.

nyc-mta_6082.jpg

090611-6676regina206.jpg

Sure buses looked *somewhat* similar but under more scrutiny they aren't close really...

Just to show you the differences here is an Orion V and a D40HF (the 40 foot version of the D60HF). Specifically note the number of windows between the front and rear doors and the arrangements of the doors themselves and the arrangement of the front lights and locations of various other turning signals and reflective strips...

That indented drivers window is also essentially an Orion trademark.

nyc-mta_6082.jpg

090611-6676regina206.jpg

Sure buses looked *somewhat* similar but under more scrutiny they aren't close really...

You didn't even use two (MTA) buses... Shakes finger and head... This is a much better comparison:

MTA_New_York_City_Bus_New_Flyer_D60HF_53

Hell even the indented window is similar though the one on the 40 footer goes back in a bit more... lol It's hard to believe that these buses were created by two different companies.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8