BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Glitch in the sign address. Easy fix.

Better question:

Now that it's been seen, how long until such an "easy fix" actually happens?  Operator could write it up, and since it's not something "crucial" like a wheel ready to fall off, it's not important enough.

Then again, would that operator actually know it's a problem to actually write it up?

Just saying because I've made complaints for such issues and operators, if confronted/asked, seem to shrug the shoulders and treat it like it's "not their job".  Or, more succinctly, in the "Oh well"-type category -- translated, "I could care less, I just drive whatever they give me".

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Better question:

Now that it's been seen, how long until such an "easy fix" actually happens? Operator could write it up, and since it's not something "crucial" like a wheel ready to fall off, it's not important enough.

Then again, would that operator actually know it's a problem to actually write it up?

Just saying because I've made complaints for such issues and operators, if confronted/asked, seem to shrug the shoulders and treat it like it's "not their job". Or, more succinctly, in the "Oh well"-type category -- translated, "I could care less, I just drive whatever they give me".

It falls on them. It'll get fixed only if you write it up. But since it isn't negatively affecting the performance of the bus (many don't read the signs anyway lol), most just shrug it off and keep on going about their shift.

Better question:

Now that it's been seen, how long until such an "easy fix" actually happens?  Operator could write it up, and since it's not something "crucial" like a wheel ready to fall off, it's not important enough.

Just saying because I've made complaints for such issues and operators, if confronted/asked, seem to shrug the shoulders and treat it like it's "not their job".  Or, more succinctly, in the "Oh well"-type category -- translated, "I could care less, I just drive whatever they give me".

I've never really seen driver care unless they put the wrong destination code 

Ttmg.org

Go to the New Flyer XD60 section, and click on the interior photos..

When I made that statement in the other thread, I was joking ... but, OK, so that must be just wonderful how standees must reach over other customers.  Can just see how that works out with the way "manspreading" is a no-no and "personal space" is so valued.  How safe could it be to be trying to hold the rail and fool around with your USB cord.  Oh, wait ... your buses crawl, so there's no real safety issue.  Must be terrifying if a bus would, say, approach 20 mph.  ROFL.

Hadn't been on TTMG in  a long time, thanks for the info, made for a nice stroll around for a good 20 minutes.  Talk about a ton of wasted space on those XDs though ... DDOT packs customers on those.  And the bus operators make sure all the seats are filled before allowing standees -- all in the name of safety.

This is gonna be fun

Once you're on the site...

1. Go to multimedia.

2. Click photos.

3. Mode of transportation: Buses

4. Select operator. Metropolitan Transit Autority State of New York

5. Select Manufacturer: New Flyer Industries

6. Click on New Flyer Low Floor buses

7. Click on New Flyer Xcelsior XD60 pic.

8. Choose interior photos.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

Someone needs to clarify this whole USB business.  The photos are very deceiving, because the ones pictured (in #4) are at the step-up rear only.  It can't be properly discerned if there are points ahead of the articulated joint in the rail, or in the main floor part between the joint and the step-up.  Plus it cannot be seen if points would be placed low along the main seating area.

So, if it looks as pictured:

a. You have to find a seat at the rear (or hover over someone) to use one (and hopefully if you actually get a seat you have a long enough cord to not annoy anyone else);

b. Even if there were points along the securement rail on main floor areas, you'd need to be at least "of taller size" to reach them;

c. If there are 2 points per outlet, and you ideally have two seated plus one standing near the same point location, someone's going to be left out;

d. How fast will it be when someone rings the bell and they're engrossed in one of their friends' social media that they have to unplug and gather their crap before making it to the door? (Already see people so engrossed in earbuds/playing on their phone/talking that they repeatedly ring the bell after someone else already has done it or are gathering up their stuff because they're not paying attention.)

I'd still like to know what's SOOOOOOO "important" that you can't keep a charge on your phone while you're on a commute, especially if you fully charge-up before heading out, and if need be -- because of something truly important -- you "baby" your phone to keep the charge until you get to a proper outlet.

Almost ALL of the things I've seen people doing on the bus are completely pointless, inane wastes of battery life.  If your phone controls THAT much of your existence, you really need to get a "in real life" life.

For the record, this is the picture of the USB outlets

NYMTA_NFI_16XD60-USB.jpg

Someone needs to clarify this whole USB business.  The photos are very deceiving, because the ones pictured (in #4) are at the step-up rear only.  It can't be properly discerned if there are points ahead of the articulated joint in the rail, or in the main floor part between the joint and the step-up.  Plus it cannot be seen if points would be placed low along the main seating area.

a. You have to find a seat at the rear (or hover over someone) to use one (and hopefully if you actually get a seat you have a long enough cord to not annoy anyone else);

b. Even if there were points along the securement rail on main floor areas, you'd need to be at least "of taller size" to reach them;

That's a good point. The low floor section has a much "higher" roof. I'd expect the outlets in that section are in the wall unless they could somehow have them mounted on the stanchions like the stop request buttons (Is that even possible?)

Someone needs to clarify this whole USB business. The photos are very deceiving, because the ones pictured (in #4) are at the step-up rear only. It can't be properly discerned if there are points ahead of the articulated joint in the rail, or in the main floor part between the joint and the step-up. Plus it cannot be seen if points would be placed low along the main seating area.

c. If there are 2 points per outlet, and you ideally have two seated plus one standing near the same point location, someone's going to be left out;

d. How fast will it be when someone rings the bell and they're engrossed in one of their friends' social media that they have to unplug and gather their crap before making it to the door? (Already see people so engrossed in earbuds/playing on their phone/talking that they repeatedly ring the bell after someone else already has done it or are gathering up their stuff because they're not paying attention.)

I'd still like to know what's SOOOOOOO "important" that you can't keep a charge on your phone while you're on a commute, especially if you fully charge-up before heading out, and if need be -- because of something truly important -- you "baby" your phone to keep the charge until you get to a proper outlet.

Almost ALL of the things I've seen people doing on the bus are completely pointless, inane wastes of battery life. If your phone controls THAT much of your existence, you really need to get a "in real life" life.

You can't see the USBs in the first few interior photos because I think those were taken when 5364 first arrived. The other ones are of the modified XD60s which came with the USBs and new livery.

I don't think they'll have them in the same location on the low floor section, because 80% of riders wouldn't be able to reach it. If its already there, welp, that's not gonna work out right.

Although I spend most of my time in the Subway forums I do try to keep up with things in the Surface threads. I'm more inclined to view threads concerning bus service rather than bus models. It's my opinion that service is more important than USB ports on a bus that runs on a route that doesn't provide good service. I draw my opinions from you posters but recently I've noticed some childish, personal responses that serve no purpose in advancing anyone's knowledge, especially mine. BrooklynBus, B35, Cait Sith, BM5, and my friend from Motown, detSmart paint a picture for me and I work from there. One problem though. I also value VG8s opinion even if I don't agree with aspects of it. I'd hate to lose the input of any one of you guys so let's stop the kid stuff and address the (MTA) and it's somewhat shoddy service. BTW I'm from Brooklyn. The City of New York refers to Manhattan where I come from. If a mod wants to move this post it's OK by me. Carry on.

Still have it, here's the only part where people weren't talking:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YnQIxX9qWC

This bus seems to sound slightly different than the rest of the XD40 fleet, I can't put my finger on why but I can just tell.

That sounds just like our DDOT Xcelsiors, too bad the operator's foot wasn't down long enough to hear how that baby can purr.  Our XDs, when properly throttled, go like stink.  XD60 yesterday, doing a "Michigan Left", zipped across 3 lanes of traffic from a standing start, with cars approaching at around 35-40mph in no time -- operator was a younger guy, but he knew what he was doing.  Even had the ass out of traffic lanes in the turn-around lane.  Then got it running close to 45 in a section with nobody wanting on or off, accelerating smooth as silk.

Our New Flyers, D40LFs and XDs alike, have some terrific tuning, and the only difference is the XDs are a bit quieter.  Plus it helps in a big way that operators pretty much do full throttle from every stop and only lift when you have to slow down or maintain speed -- none of that on-off business.  Anyone who knows how to harness the true power of a motor vehicle (especially racing drivers) will drive in that manner.

That sounds just like our DDOT Xcelsiors, too bad the operator's foot wasn't down long enough to hear how that baby can purr. Our XDs, when properly throttled, go like stink. XD60 yesterday, doing a "Michigan Left", zipped across 3 lanes of traffic from a standing start, with cars approaching at around 35-40mph in no time -- operator was a younger guy, but he knew what he was doing. Even had the ass out of traffic lanes in the turn-around lane. Then got it running close to 45 in a section with nobody wanting on or off, accelerating smooth as silk.

Our New Flyers, D40LFs and XDs alike, have some terrific tuning, and the only difference is the XDs are a bit quieter. Plus it helps in a big way that operators pretty much do full throttle from every stop and only lift when you have to slow down or maintain speed -- none of that on-off business. Anyone who knows how to harness the true power of a motor vehicle (especially racing drivers) will drive in that manner.

By the sounds of that, I might actually enjoy some rides. Especially since I love Xcelsiors with Allison B400Rs.

Still have it, here's the only part where people weren't talking:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1YnQIxX9qWC

This bus seems to sound slightly different than the rest of the XD40 fleet, I can't put my finger on why but I can just tell.

Oh I see. Has more of a louder howl. I really hope they modify the transmission like they did with the 4800s. What was the point of making the 7000s shift like they do if they ended up modifying the 4800s?

The ride's looking slow for anyone using the Queens Express or the BM5 today, since there's only one tube open. Unlike previous times, it's the Queens Tube that's being used both ways. IDK for how many weekends the construction will occur.

EDIT: There's an accident several hundred feet before the toll Plaza for the QMT, which narrows inbound lanes to 2 lanes. Never mind the already congested roadway on the inbound direction because of the Manhattan tube closure. You just can't make this stuff up.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Although I spend most of my time in the Subway forums I do try to keep up with things in the Surface threads. I'm more inclined to view threads concerning bus service rather than bus models. It's my opinion that service is more important than USB ports on a bus that runs on a route that doesn't provide good service. I draw my opinions from you posters but recently I've noticed some childish, personal responses that serve no purpose in advancing anyone's knowledge, especially mine. BrooklynBus, B35, Cait Sith, BM5, and my friend from Motown, detSmart paint a picture for me and I work from there. One problem though. I also value VG8s opinion even if I don't agree with aspects of it. I'd hate to lose the input of any one of you guys so let's stop the kid stuff and address the (MTA) and it's somewhat shoddy service. BTW I'm from Brooklyn. The City of New York refers to Manhattan where I come from. If a mod wants to move this post it's OK by me. Carry on.

I hear you.... But with me personally, it's not so much the talks about bus models (because that was always a part of our hobby/our transit community for one, and two, there are actually concerns from others I've seen on here [which is somewhat concerning to yours truly], about the future of the bus & subway fleet in our system being monotonous), it's the overfocusing of the technological advances that have been implemented throughout our public transit system... It's taken precedence over (concerns of/musings of) the quality (and in quite a bit of cases, the quantity as well) of service that's being provided, itself....

Telling you now man, the MTA will only use this to their advantage... You won't get near as potent of a fight from these out of town transients, nor the xth generation New Yorkers (with that, I'm referring to our younger generation) - Meaning, the MTA will even have more free will to do whatever it is they want.... Certain neighborhoods will always have more pull over others, but the amount (or strength, however you want to look at it) of it won't be as influential.....

I made a point/prediction about a year or so ago on here, and I'm going to amend it a bit.... Being that this is infact the technological age/era, I can't blame the younger generation for wanting to have an increased interest in it (hell, it's going to be necessary for their SURVIVAL - which of course, far outweighs any of this stuff regarding public transportation).... Actually, I don't blame them at all - that would be like your generation blaming my generation for doing away with bell bottoms & afros and rocking fitted caps & baggy pants.... Anyway, what I will say in my amending is, it's not so much that the younger generation doesn't care about the MTA's tactics - it's that wool is being pulled over their eyes, making things that much more infeasible for them to realize their tactics...

If there'll even be a NYC based transit forum in the next 30 years, I can guarantee that you aren't going to get folks coming online ranting & raving (in the individual ways that each of us currently do) over the next asinine, idiotic, stupid, foolish, ludicrous (hey, those last 3 rhyme... totally unintentional) service change that will affect some community of which isn't the one they reside in....

...or worse, the one they do reside in....

...Which is sad.

Most of the regulars who post on here are quite young so I can certainly see lots of activity in the future when ludicrous changes are made. In other news Community Board presentations were given for the Bx6 SBS. The plans for a separate local and SBS service with the SBS making 17 stops in each direction as opposed to the current 30 stops. Offset bus lanes are going to be added along 161st and 163rd as well with plans for the service to start in the Fall or next Spring.