• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a Queens man, nor have I found anything on Google regarding this Q33, so I ask: why the blazes are all those folks entering the bus through the back door?

Welcome to the evening rush. Where's people overcrowds a route enough to allow others to enter the rare doors.

35401305.jpg

But when the rear doors don't open, oh well....

Edited by Metro CSW

Welcome to the evening rush. Where's people overcrowds a route enough to allow others to enter the rare doors.

35401305.jpg

But when the rear doors don't open, oh well....

Oh, that's what I thought, but didn't want to assume the worst.

Can't MTA just have the bus driver say "hell with this, this bus is out of service until the mofos who didn't pay get over here and pay."

Probably not, but they should be able to. I don't mean to punish the rest, but at some point there has to be a way to show fare-beaters that if they don't pay they don't go anywhere.

Can't MTA just have the bus driver say "hell with this, this bus is out of service until the mofos who didn't pay get over here and pay."

Probably not, but they should be able to. I don't mean to punish the rest, but at some point there has to be a way to show fare-beaters that if they don't pay they don't go anywhere.

This sometimes happens...and leads to this...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/216-buses-youve-tried/?p=648116

"Smh...it all started with...guess...

FAREBEATING...

so the driver said sir you must pay your fare or esle im not leaving...he refused to pay and sat down...so the driver said im not moving this bus until you pay...so the guy didnt want to pay, so other passengers started getting angry...and said some getto terms like "hello stupidd pay ya mutha f***ing fare im tryna go somewhere" then he started cursing back...and other people joined them...a guy pushed the farebeater for saying something rude to the girl...then the farebeater hit him back...then the other passengers got up to defend him...then the bus driver started screaming, and i was in the back of this NG...i was all trapped. Then it was 1 vs 10. Then innocent people started hitting innocent people..etc...then eventually the bus driver turned the bus off...all the lights went off...it was like 5 or 6 pm so it was fairly dark with some shadows...then someone hit someone in a sneak attack...so then someone called police...and the farebeater found out that someone called the police...and he left...guess how he left?? through the emergency exit window...so then police came...asked if everyone was alright...no one was hurt etc...so then the B/O turned his bus back on...44xx i forgot smh...and we pulled off...with everyone talking all loud about what happen...etc etc...mann...im not riding that line no more!"

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

This sometimes happens...and leads to this...

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/216-buses-youve-tried/?p=648116

"Smh...it all started with...guess...

FAREBEATING...

so the driver said sir you must pay your fare or esle im not leaving...he refused to pay and sat down...so the driver said im not moving this bus until you pay...so the guy didnt want to pay, so other passengers started getting angry...and said some getto terms like "hello stupidd pay ya mutha f***ing fare im tryna go somewhere" then he started cursing back...and other people joined them...a guy pushed the farebeater for saying something rude to the girl...then the farebeater hit him back...then the other passengers got up to defend him...then the bus driver started screaming, and i was in the back of this NG...i was all trapped. Then it was 1 vs 10. Then innocent people started hitting innocent people..etc...then eventually the bus driver turned the bus off...all the lights went off...it was like 5 or 6 pm so it was fairly dark with some shadows...then someone hit someone in a sneak attack...so then someone called police...and the farebeater found out that someone called the police...and he left...guess how he left?? through the emergency exit window...so then police came...asked if everyone was alright...no one was hurt etc...so then the B/O turned his bus back on...44xx i forgot smh...and we pulled off...with everyone talking all loud about what happen...etc etc...mann...im not riding that line no more!"

Well so much for that.

Sigh.

There are times where at the terminal stop (first stop)  where the drivers allow the rear doors open before pulling off. C'mon, I think we all seen that one happening from time to time. Not gonna object upon the way B/Os chooses to make it easier for passengers to come into the bus. I just thought there was a bigger excuse than farebeating than 'the bus is sooo crowded', but most still uses it though. Whatever....

1. Bustime was developed by some open source software developers under the name OneBusAway. OpenPlans (the "hippies"), a open-source software consulting firm of some sort, used that platform for MTA Bustime and hired Verifone to install equipment on the buses. It was not developed in-house, it was developed by someone completely unaffiliated with the MTA and chosen by an MTA consultant to be the platform for "MTA Bustime". Anyone can use the OneBusAway system, but you notice that most major transit systems opt for systems made by Clever Devices, Orbital, etc. instead as they are the proven higher-quality, more reliable systems and integrate the real-time tracking with other "smart bus" features into one on-board system.

2. Maybe not on your oh-so-wonderful express bus they aren't cared for, but on local buses around the nation auto announcement systems are used and the customers actually benefit from them, rather than having mumbled stop announcements from the B/O (or in most cases no announcement at all), they hear clear GPS-based announcements from the computer. I didn't hear any complaints about them on the M34/A, in fact people were upset when they took the Clever Devices out and replaced them with MTA Bustime. I'll agree that we don't need them on the express buses, they can have the LED signs but the auto announcements would be (and are) considered annoying by most express riders.

Oh please.... The Clever Devices are the M34 were useless and inaccurate... You fail to realize that what works with other systems automatically works with our system.  Bus Time has been far more accurate than the Clever Devices.  The only thing it can't is tell how long it will take the bus to get from one stop to the next and quite frankly that's understandable in NYC with their being so many variables involved.

44 only... I don't think the 41 would get them. Then again you never know...

And I don't think the B41 should. Once it hits the Junction, north of the line is just obstruction hell. If it was short turns only, maybe. But I think only the B44 is fine, that and maybe the B46.

Edited by Grand Concourse

Oh please.... The Clever Devices are the M34 were useless and inaccurate... You fail to realize that what works with other systems automatically works with our system.  Bus Time has been far more accurate than the Clever Devices.  The only thing it can't is tell how long it will take the bus to get from one stop to the next and quite frankly that's understandable in NYC with their being so many variables involved.

If you use Sched NYC, that app tells you how long it would take/how far the bus is from a certain stop.

And I don't think the B41 should. Once it hits the Junction, north of the line is just obstruction hell. If it was short turns only, maybe. But I think only the B44 is fine, that and maybe the B46.

The 41 can accommodate the LFSAs better than the 46. Remember, north of Crown St on Utica Avenue begins to bottleneck into one lane each direction up til Broadway where you have the short-turns at DeKalb Avenue, and the ones continuing northwest to the bridge along Broadway, still one lane. Not saying it cannot fit, but the 41 can accommodate better with two lanes (smaller than Utica's two lanes). And contrary to belief, the 41 bus stops are actually long enough too.

The 41 can accommodate the LFSAs better than the 46. Remember, north of Crown St on Utica Avenue begins to bottleneck into one lane each direction up til Broadway where you have the short-turns at DeKalb Avenue, and the ones continuing northwest to the bridge along Broadway, still one lane. Not saying it cannot fit, but the 41 can accommodate better with two lanes (smaller than Utica's two lanes). And contrary to belief, the 41 bus stops are actually long enough too.

I stand corrected then.

How do the Artics handle super steep inclines like going up Utica to Mt. Everest Eastern Parkway? I wonder as I've managed to never have been on an articulated bus outside of the M15 SBS downtown and the M23.

Oh please.... The Clever Devices are the M34 were useless and inaccurate... You fail to realize that what works with other systems automatically works with our system. Bus Time has been far more accurate than the Clever Devices. The only thing it can't is tell how long it will take the bus to get from one stop to the next and quite frankly that's understandable in NYC with their being so many variables involved.

I've never heard of the Clever Devices being inaccurate except for maybe the countdown clocks, which you can't be surprised about. If you think their system isn't designed to work in big cities and buses will randomly disappear from the system with tall buildings around, check out http://ctabustracker.com/bustime select a route downtown and let me know if buses disappear.

Done here.

BTW if LGA has about 20 O5 CNGs then they have most of what's left of them at CP. The remaining units there are probably mostly the ones exclusively for the (A) shuttle with the fareboxes removed.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

I've never heard of the Clever Devices being inaccurate except for maybe the countdown clocks, which you can't be surprised about. If you think their system isn't designed to work in big cities and buses will randomly disappear from the system with tall buildings around, check out http://ctabustracker.com/bustime select a route downtown and let me know if buses disappear.

Done here.

Sorry but CDTA is no (MTA)... You can't really compare New York to any other place.  Furthermore I don't see why you complain that Bus Time can't tell you when the bus is coming, but yet say that you can't be surprised at how terrible the Clever Devices were at giving accurate arrival times...

Sorry but CDTA is no (MTA)... You can't really compare New York to any other place.  Furthermore I don't see why you complain that Bus Time can't tell you when the bus is coming, but yet say that you can't be surprised at how terrible the Clever Devices were at giving accurate arrival times...

Ummm this is not CDTA, this is CTA as in CHICAGO. And you can't accurately predict the time it will take for the bus to show up in NYC, no matter who makes the system. Countdown clocks will NOT be accurate here, powered by Clever Devices, MTA Bustime or whatever! There's simply too many factors that can change that predicted time, I can say I'll get across town on 42nd Street in 10 minutes and it will take me a half hour or more. 

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Ummm this is not CDTA, this is CTA as in CHICAGO. And you can't accurately predict the time it will take for the bus to show up in NYC, no matter who makes the system. Countdown clocks will NOT be accurate here, powered by Clever Devices, MTA Bustime or whatever! There's simply too many factors that can change that predicted time, I can say I'll get across town on 42nd Street in 10 minutes and it will take me a half hour or more. 

I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Though he's right, you can't compare the CTA or any other agency with the MTA especially since our fleet factor is pretty much the largest in the U.S and our environment is much more brutal than theirs.

CTA, CDTA... Still no New York... I just don't understand you constantly complaining about Bus Time and acting as if Clever Devices is the be all end all.  I don't care what format it runs on and the average passenger doesn't either.  I just care that I know where the bus is so that I'm not sitting around waiting for a bus that has come already, which is a HUGE relief as far as I'm concerned. The (MTA) tried Clever Devices, and wasted millions on other tracking devices in vain and it didn't work out so what are they supposed to do, keep hammering out a system and wasting more and more money just because it uses Clever Devices when they can have another system that is MUCH CHEAPER and more accurate for them?  Sure Bus Time isn't perfect, but it beats nothing at all and having Clever Device tell me my bus is 5 minutes away when it's really 20 minutes away just gives passengers false information and false hopes since many will wait around for 5 minutes as opposed to just giving up and walking or using the subway or a taxi.

Now I would rather the (MTA) do things this way where it costs them less and let the program become popular first and then add Bus Time to bus shelters which is what some politicians have allocated monies for so that people without cell phones can take advantage of the program as well.  The money they're saving for this can be allocated to improve bus service.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8