BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Shorehaven is the name of that little sectioned off/gated area across the street from where the bx27/39 terminate/layover at in that area....

In other words, Shorehaven isn't clason point, it's in clason point.....

I used to live over there. Good times, except i'm much closer to the subway now. :)

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

So anyways, iv'e noticed over the past month or two that the run #'s for the 100 are #4, #1001, #1002, so iv'e been trying to see if #1 was a run on the 100, because in one direction the runs start with 100, but going the other way they don't, but #4 is the night run, and #1001/1002 aren't, but I never seem to get the 100 going clockwise in the morning, so iv'e never known, but I was fanning over by the Amtrak tracks, and since the trains were so infrequent, I busfanned there too. (The buses were only 100 feet away) and I saw #100 with the run number being #1! I finally know!

I'm using acronyms or shorthand in my textual posts, regardless of who knows what which one means or not.....

Not my problem as the author of a forum post if someone doesn't know what a particular acronym means... If you ask me, I'll tell you what a particular acronym means, np (no problem).... If you don't ask me & have the attitude of "why are you even using acronyms anyway" or "you should type like you speak" [I've gotten the latter on other forums regarding acronyms & slang], well, it's nothin else I can do for you at that point.... You just goin have to keep it pushin & read the next man's post (S).....

I'm of the ilk that, if you get it, great... if you don't & resort to having an attitude about it w/o failing to ask, then I'm like too bad... Not here to appease anyone with entitlement issues.....

Aside from that, these days, a quick Google/Yahoo! search can usually clear it up in a matter of seconds.

---------

Anyway, I think I saw that retarded, racist lady on the S59 again (The one who couldn't pronounce Guatemala). She was mumbling something to her friend (probably more crap about how bad Port Richmond is).

And with the Nova LFS buses, is there a code you can type in to get the route number up, but have a blank reading where the destination sign is (that the B/O accidentally typed in instead of the normal code)? Or is it just a problem with the screen (which is stupid because these buses are basically brand-new) Because I've seen cases where it said "S46", but it didn't say where the bus was headed (and this was often in the westbound direction where there's two terminals).

I don't think its a code, because I've seen the same thing with the S46. It might be some kind of glitch....

If you're talking about NOVAs some of them already have glitches with the screens. Similar situation when the new NGs came to the island. I'm not sure if I should call it a glitch or just crappy maintenance on Staten Island because I've seen the weirdest things with SI buses. I remember for a while just about any MCI I would take had a broken bell. It was ridiculous. I was thinking okay, are we just getting all of the MCIs with broken bells or are they purposely being broken or what?? I really do wonder sometimes with those SI buses. Hence the term the "stepchild" comes to mind when talking about Staten Island. Either get the hand-me-downs, the defected buses or some moron just breaking down the buses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

I used to live over there. Good times, except i'm much closer to the subway now. :)

icon14.png

I actually like that part of the bronx (one of the few places I wouldn't mind residing in, in the borough).... very quiet (well, except for the occasional low flying plane), but visiting relatives out in Rosedale as a kid for a couple summers, you kinda sorta get used to it..... But as you sorta alluded to, the ride to the subway (on the 27 or the 39) from down there lags... Guess travel time is the price you have to pay.... Anyway, I know you're happy living much more proximate to the subway....

Aside from that, these days, a quick Google/Yahoo! search can usually clear it up in a matter of seconds.

---------

Anyway, I think I saw that retarded, racist lady on the S59 again (The one who couldn't pronounce Guatemala). She was mumbling something to her friend (probably more crap about how bad Port Richmond is).

And with the Nova LFS buses, is there a code you can type in to get the route number up, but have a blank reading where the destination sign is (that the B/O accidentally typed in instead of the normal code)? Or is it just a problem with the screen (which is stupid because these buses are basically brand-new) Because I've seen cases where it said "S46", but it didn't say where the bus was headed (and this was often in the westbound direction where there's two terminals).

Yeah, That's what I'm sayin... It's not my problem if someone doesn't wanna take time out (or feels as if they shouldn't have to take time out) to find out what a particular acronym might mean....

As for the S46 thing, that makes three of us... Because I've also seen an S46 (at the time it was heading, ferry bound) w/ nothing shown as the destination..... There is no code (that I know of anyway) where the destination can be omitted in the signage.....

If you're talking about NOVAs some of them already have glitches with the screens.

...Which would explain that also happening on a Q43 I saw walking along Hillside last week.....

Edited by B35 via Church

I rode Orion VII NG 3956 on the M3 the other day and it had schedules for most of the Tuskegee Airmen Routes (M86, M96, M101, M102 and M103) It had a Manhattanville sticker, TTMG lists it as from that depot and Tuskegee Airmen doesn't seem to have NGs, was this a mix-up or a loan or something?

I rode Orion VII NG 3956 on the M3 the other day and it had schedules for most of the Tuskegee Airmen Routes (M86, M96, M101, M102 and M103) It had a Manhattanville sticker, TTMG lists it as from that depot and Tuskegee Airmen doesn't seem to have NGs, was this a mix-up or a loan or something?

Sounds like a loaner to me. I've ridden that bus before and it is out of Manhattanville.

everytime i ride an XD40...i write down the # i had...so i rode every XD40 in the brooklyn and staten island fleet except 4865 and 4890.

Now....from the First time i rode an XD40 was DEC 6...on 4843...and my last XD40 was today of 4897.

Guess how many XD40s i rode that entire time from DEC 6, 2011-Nov 21, 2012?

1,146 XD40s

Don't they tow the artics from the back so everything just follows with the truck?

Artic are never EVER towed from the rear. And depending on how far away from the depot the bus is, it is towed 1 of 2 ways. If it's fairly close to the depot, they pick it up by the D-rings in the front just enough so the wheels are about a foot off the floor. Then they are suppose to remove the axles, chain it up and then tow the bus in. If the bus is further away, they pick it up by the front axle, chain it, then again suppose to remove the axles and bring it in. If the bus is really really close, they will just push it in with the road truck.

everytime i ride an XD40...i write down the # i had...so i rode every XD40 in the brooklyn and staten island fleet except 4865 and 4890.

Now....from the First time i rode an XD40 was DEC 6...on 4843...and my last XD40 was today of 4897.

1,146 XD40s

You actually counted -__-.

1,146 XD40s

Ok.... this is a good reason for me to ship-out soon. Just saying......

ok i guess somebody else can take that 3500.

Edited by NovaCSW8030

Boy, the buses were FUBAR today.

The S46 crawled because of road construction along Castleton Avenue. But we actually only ended up about 7 minutes or so behind schedule (and another S46 caught up to us around Cebra Avenue). My friend said the buses were being detoured up Jersey Street because of road construction on Victory Blvd, but we just took the regular route along Victory (which was better for me because I wanted to catch the S84).

So then the S84 comes roughly on time. But we hit so much traffic on the route that we fell way behind schedule. I caught the bus that left St. George at 3:30, which was scheduled to reach the ETC at 4:05. Instead, we arrived at 4:55, a full 50 minutes late.

So then at the ETC, the S59 doesn't show up, but I figure I'll catch the S89 at 5:11. Well, an S59 (that was scheduled at 4:59) came in right around 5:10, followed by another S59 about two minutes later (I assume the 5:13). I figure the S89 is shortly behind (because they often leave the terminal 5 minutes late and then catch up further down the line). Well, it doesn't come until about 5:30. So it was either 20 minutes late, or 5 minutes early. (Something told me the S89 would screw up, and I would've definitely got home quicker on the S59, but I wanted to see how badly it would screw up, and if any mall-bound S79s would show up).

Meanwhile, after over a half hour of waiting, there are literally no SI Mall-bound S79s. I saw 3 Brooklyn-bound S79s, 3 S89s to Eltingville, 3 S59s to Tottenville, an S55 & S56 to the SI Mall, a Rossville-bound S55, 2 St. George-bound S74s, 2 S59s to Port Richmond, 1 S89 (the one I got on), and a few express buses, and still no mall-bound S79s. There must've been some terrible traffic along Hylan Blvd for over a half hour to pass by with no S79s. Come to think about it, I should've seen more express buses too, so they were probably stuck in traffic as well.

Something told me the S89 would screw up, and I would've definitely got home quicker on the S59, but I wanted to see how badly it would screw up, and how badly the S79 would screw up. I also saw the S74 come about 20 minutes late (a St. George-bound bus was supposed to arrive at 4:58, and instead, it arrived around 5:20. A short-turn left on time at 5:15, when it should've been behind that bus, not ahead of it).

The S84 had like half a seated load after we pulled out of Bay & Victory, but then most of the people got off at Gordon Street (Stapleton Houses), and then a couple of more people got off at Vanderbilt, and one person got off at Narrows Road South, and then there were just two of us left. I was thinking that the S84 would probably get more riders if it had a stop by the Berry Houses, since that's a really long gap between Narrows Road South & New Dorp Lane. As I was thinking that, we passed by the stop at the Berry Houses, where 3 people were waiting. We were stuck in traffic, so one woman went up to the door and tapped on it, and the B/O opened the door, shouted out "Can't you read?", and then closed it. If he opened the door, he might as well have let her in. He wasn't moving, the bus wasn't crowded, and with all the traffic, who knows when the next S74 would come? (And what if she needed to go west of the ETC?). Personally, if I were the woman, I would've forced my way on once the doors opened up, but that's just me.

Then at New Dorp Lane, we picked up a woman, and at the ETC, the B/O picked up about 15-20 people or so. When the Brooklyn-bound S79 came, she was packed (of course, still space in the back, but whatever), and the dispatcher started arguing with her about why she's late and why she's so crowded and all that (I don't think she was that late, because the gaps between the Brooklyn-bound S79s were fairly consistant, but I didn't check the schedule).

1,146 XD40s

Dude...seriously? SERIOUSLY?

EDIT...thought I had 3500 but CC13 beat me to it lol

Edited by Fresh Pond

1,146 XD40s

Dude, seriously? I take his hobby seriously, but you have to draw a line somewhere...