BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

smh @ riders today. I'm on the Bergen Beach bus bound B41 (RTS) and at all the limited stops there was at least one person asking: 'Does this bus go to Kings Plaza?' I swear people are either blind or illiterate. Read the damn sign before you ask... Jeez.

I'm just wondering if the MTA should just make the Bergen branch its own line and go up to the Junction as the B40 and save the confusion... It can't hurt as a short turn bus would totally help the line as north of Nostrand is just a traffic nightmare.

Basically B40 Nostrand to BB and all B41s to KP. Simple and clear. One day I'd love to see a b/o give a sarcastic reply something like: "yes it is going to KP, you just have to walk several blocks down from Av N..."

IDK, that branch gets tons of usage from Downtown, and Flatbush would lose service any way you do it, maybe just renumber the route without cutting it down?

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

So why so many artics on that side street then??

Well even if the parking structure has a second floor, it's not likely that it can fit more than 50 or 60 buses on each floor. And with KB having 250+ buses (140 or so being artics), they gotta put them somewhere for the night. We do the same @ 126th. There's 1 lot across the street from the depot, one lot 2 blocks away, and a pseudo lot right in front of the depot. Yet if you ever been around the depot from midnight to about 6am (the hawk) you will see buses parked on the street from 125th and 2nd to 127th and 2nd, on 126th between 2nd and 3rd, on 127th between 2nd and 3rd, 128th between 2nd and 3rd, and all around the perimeter of the depot itself...

Well even if the parking structure has a second floor, it's not likely that it can fit more than 50 or 60 buses on each floor. And with KB having 250+ buses (140 or so being artics), they gotta put them somewhere for the night. We do the same @ 126th. There's 1 lot across the street from the depot, one lot 2 blocks away, and a pseudo lot right in front of the depot. Yet if you ever been around the depot from midnight to about 6am (the hawk) you will see buses parked on the street from 125th and 2nd to 127th and 2nd, on 126th between 2nd and 3rd, on 127th between 2nd and 3rd, 128th between 2nd and 3rd, and all around the perimeter of the depot itself...

I have noticed this when coming to or from Riverdale if we pass by there... Are they going to be having all indoor parking when they re-do 126th street? They really should.

I wonder what happened on Friday that they had to detour buses in Port Richmond & St. George.

S53 S57 S59 S66 10X bus service has resumed regular route.

S40, S90, S44, S94 and S52 bus service has resumed with residual delays.

The S57 & S61 were detoured because of a funeral along Bradley Avenue between Harold & South Gannon, so that might explain the S57, but I wonder what happened with the other Port Richmond routes.

Passed by Kingsbridge Depot tonight on the BxM1 and was wondering how big is that depot? Seems like there are quite a few buses parked on the street, but the depot doesn't iook that old...

Yeah there are two buildings the Transportation/Maintenance building on 10th Avenue and on 9th Avenue is where they park the buses there are 2 floors in there and still not enough room...back when WF (the Coliseum at the time) was closed for renovations KB had acquired two temporary lots one owned by New York Presbyterian (called The Field of Dreams...word is that is where all the good buses were kept) and the other lot by DSNY (where all the garbage was kept...how appropriate right lol). Now when one pulls out a bus they are either sent "downstairs" (lower level of the building), "upstairs" (upper level of the building), "218" (the double parked line of buses you saw) or "time warner" (another line of buses parked in front of time warner cable)...It would be nice to house all of the buses indoors but there just isn't any room.

Yeah there are two buildings the Transportation/Maintenance building on 10th Avenue and on 9th Avenue is where they park the buses there are 2 floors in there and still not enough room...back when WF (the Coliseum at the time) was closed for renovations KB had acquired two temporary lots one owned by New York Presbyterian (called The Field of Dreams...word is that is where all the good buses were kept) and the other lot by DSNY (where all the garbage was kept...how appropriate right lol). Now when one pulls out a bus they are either sent "downstairs" (lower level of the building), "upstairs" (upper level of the building), "218" (the double parked line of buses you saw) or "time warner" (another line of buses parked in front of time warner cable)...It would be nice to house all of the buses indoors but there just isn't any room.

Wow... So there was never a time when all of the buses were parked in doors? I was thinking it is because of all of the artics... What was interesting was all of the artics parked looked like the older ones... The newer ones they must keep in doors... Another interesting thing I saw this evening coming down on the BxM1... All Bx10s were old... I was thinking what in the world is this?? Sending Riverdale all of the crappola buses. I hate those O5s with a passion seeing how we used them on Staten Island and what horrible conditions they were in. Are some of the NGs in for work or something?

Wow... So there was never a time when all of the buses were parked in doors? I was thinking it is because of all of the artics... What was interesting was all of the artics parked looked like the older ones... The newer ones they must keep in doors... Another interesting thing I saw this evening coming down on the BxM1... All Bx10s were old... I was thinking what in the world is this?? Sending Riverdale all of the crappola buses. I hate those O5s with a passion seeing how we used them on Staten Island and what horrible conditions they were in. Are some of the NGs in for work or something?

Well they are pulling a lot of buses off the road because they are installing the GPS system on them so that may have something to do with it. As far as the buses parked on 218th they don't discriminate lmao I've seen Nova's out there as well unless it's too hot and for this winter if it's too cold they'll be parked inside...they are rather sensitive to the weather smh.

Well they are pulling a lot of buses off the road because they are installing the GPS system on them so that may have something to do with it. As far as the buses parked on 218th they don't discriminate lmao I've seen Nova's out there as well unless it's too hot and for this winter if it's too cold they'll be parked inside...they are rather sensitive to the weather smh.

LOL... Prima donna buses at a hefty price... Gotta love it. :lol: And yes, I can't wait for the GPS to come.... I'm counting down the days. Express bus service is great, but it still would be nice to know where the bus is.

I have noticed this when coming to or from Riverdale if we pass by there... Are they going to be having all indoor parking when they re-do 126th street? They really should.

That seems to be the trend with the newer depots that are built now a days. MTA is trying to cut down on complaints by neighboring residential buildings (and cut our "fire watch" overtime as well) so all of the new depots are being built with parking for all of its buses as well as a good chunk of the depot employees.

I picked the wrong stop to get on the S44. I waited at Port Richmond & Clinton, and the emptier bus passed by while the full one stopped. Had I got on at Post & Port Richmond, I would've caught the emptier one because they both would've been waiting at the light. (The emptier one got pretty far ahead too).

As we passed Walker & Morningstar, I saw an eastbound S46 signed up as an S40 to St. George (and it had passengers on it, so it wasn't a deadheading bus or anything).

That seems to be the trend with the newer depots that are built now a days. MTA is trying to cut down on complaints by neighboring residential buildings (and cut our "fire watch" overtime as well) so all of the new depots are being built with parking for all of its buses as well as a good chunk of the depot employees.

Well I agree with the residents. All depots should have enough indoor parking to accommodate the buses... Not only do those buses take up parking spaces but they also can lead to more congestion in the area and more pollution. I'm sure most of the employees don't mind having indoor parking either, or at least parking close by.

Call me slow and whatnot, but I just found out today that there's an X10B. I was walking with my girlfriend earlier today up West St, and I seen a CT signed up as one, then seen a DL3 (or 4500, can't really tell them apart just by numbers alone) a few minutes after that saying it.

Where have I been lol

Well I agree with the residents. All depots should have enough indoor parking to accommodate the buses... Not only do those buses take up parking spaces but they also can lead to more congestion in the area and more pollution. I'm sure most of the employees don't mind having indoor parking either, or at least parking close by.

Well you gotta remember, a good chunk of the depots were originally trolley barns that were converted for bus use, then got more buses than the building could handle.

And those artics aren't really space savers themselves lol

Call me slow and whatnot, but I just found out today that there's an X10B. I was walking with my girlfriend earlier today up West St, and I seen a CT signed up as one, then seen a DL3 (or 4500, can't really tell them apart just by numbers alone) a few minutes after that saying it.

Where have I been lol

You're not blind. That X10B signage wasn't always there. That is relatively new. Before you would have to look at the schedule to figure out whether it was a "B" or a "C" X10. Now they've made that clearer as they've started to re-program some of the buses.

Well you gotta remember, a good chunk of the depots were originally trolley barns that were converted for bus use, then got more buses than the building could handle.

And those artics aren't really space savers themselves lol

Yes I know that. That's why I said that the ones being re-done must have indoor parking for all buses.