BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I live right near the Q25,Q34,Q64 and, Q65 so I know what I'm talking about. Theses buses are suffering from rusting and the buses are getting louder and louder. 8571 and 9932 used to be good buses I don't know what has happened to them in the last year.

I see what ur saying. Maybe it is a lack of maintenance cuz the MTA knows the 05's are practically done.

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't get me angry when an op's running hot since I tend to get on at the first stop of a lot of lines so it doesn't matter much to me, but that said, you never gotten trouble from supervisors for running that hot? I always hear the stories from ops over at Mannyville about supervisors busting balls for running even a few minutes hot. Spose that hawks don't have too many supervisors to worry about though...

That 46 late nights it's hard to run hot cause of the amount people you carry. If I get caught behind schedule then it is what it is - nothing you can do to make up time.

Another thing is, the lights on Utica Ave aren't synced with each other, which pisses me off -- you gotta study the timing so you can stick and move. Dwell times will fucck you basically.

I gotchu. Gotta say though it's pathetic that it's 2012 and we still got major roads like Utica, Flatbush, even Canal St. in the city without timed lights. Save a lot of time for everybody with synced lights, fewer accidents too with the smoother traffic. DOT's too lazy and nobody wants to/can afford to pay so it stays like that, ridiculous.

I gotchu. Gotta say though it's pathetic that it's 2012 and we still got major roads like Utica, Flatbush, even Canal St. in the city without timed lights. Save a lot of time for everybody with synced lights, fewer accidents too with the smoother traffic. DOT's too lazy and nobody wants to/can afford to pay so it stays like that, ridiculous.

Actually the DOT for the most part is aware of these issues and some of it isn't just by coincidence. Some of these lights aren't synced on purpose to control folks from trying to create a drag way. Sit and observe how some street lights function and you'll see that a lot of them aren't synced and I recall a time when that wasn't the case. It's annoying but it does force folks to not accelerate too quickly.

I thought it was just a poor job too until I heard the DOT commissioner talk about the issue and how they try to control the speed to keep the streets safe but at the same time keep traffic moving. Now I don't necessarily agree with how they have things now, but do know that a lot of it isn't laziness. More like incompetence.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Lazy could be the wrong word, but I do think a lot of what they say is trying to justify the current system as opposed to be willing to dramatically change things. All they'll really radically do is add pedestrian plazas, which are of debated legitimacy. It's complicated, since unsynced lights mean major changes in speed at the lights (stopping, accelerating) while synced lights run the risk of really high speeds going past the lightw. I say we put in roundabouts!

Edited by MHV9218

Lazy could be the wrong word, but I do think a lot of what they say is trying to justify the current system as opposed to be willing to dramatically change things. All they'll really radically do is add pedestrian plazas, which are of debated legitimacy. It's complicated, since unsynced lights mean major changes in speed at the lights (stopping, accelerating) while synced lights run the risk of really high speeds going past the lightw. I say we put in roundabouts!

Yeah, it is somewhat complicated but not that complicated. There are some areas that are just ridiculous now. This morning we waited for almost 5 lights on the BxM2 to go down ONE block (from 81st & Central Park West to 81st and Columbus Avenue) just to make the turn there on Columbus, and this is in the summertime with relatively light traffic. Really ridiculous. A lot of it IMO does indeed has to do with lights not being synched anymore so that as soon as you get a green light, the next light just up the street is now turning red which creates a back up in traffic unnecessarily. If they really want to stop speeding, just install cameras at the traffic lights and ticket the offenders. Simple solution.

I do see a D60HF in front of it in the bus lane though

Yeah but even with that the SBS doesn't use the lanes. The M34/M34A uses it more then the Bx12/M15BRT routes.

The route that uses the lane more is the Bx9 heading North. Gone thru it many times. lol May as well make it +SBS over the 12.

Lol at the Scumbag hat on it, I missed that at first. Does look like there's a bus in front, but even so.

They do use it...when cars and cyclist aren't blocking it <_<. As for that SBS in the pic s/he was probably going around the bus servicing the stop. Also, if it's the weekend there's no need really to stay confined to the lane when traffic is flowing smoothly and your next stop (Bx12 SBS) is all the way by Crotona Ave.

Or like Webster Avenue btwn 169th Street and 171st Street...SMH is all I have to say.

I agree... Also, the pair of lights where River and Jerome under the (4) meet is absolutely horrid... Such a short distance and not sync'ed at all..... I hate these lights so much.... When one turns red, the other is green.... Still like that too... Here's a link to it:

http://maps.google.c...p=12,21.36,,1,0

I know another light at E 157 ST and Sedgwick where it would be about five mins on red then when it turns green, it was only for about ten seconds.... I think the DOT fixed that now though...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

Yeah but even with that the SBS doesn't use the lanes. The M34/M34A uses it more then the Bx12/M15BRT routes.

The route that uses the lane more is the Bx9 heading North. Gone thru it many times. lol May as well make it +SBS over the 12.

The M34 SBS is able to utilize the bus lanes more because there is a lot more traffic enforcement along 34th street.

The M34 SBS is able to utilize the bus lanes more because there is a lot more traffic enforcement along 34th street.

True, but even with no traffic blocking the BRT lanes on the Bx12/M15 routes, most drivers won't use the BRT lanes.

For the M34, the only section I can think of where the lanes are not usually used is between 5th and Dyer Ave West bound, and 6th to 5th Ave Eastbound due to parked buses, trucks, police cars and cars coming out of the NJ495. But other then that, there is better enforcement along 34th St..

Anyone else notice Q35 short-turns to Riis Park lately? I think the crowds have been a lot more manageable.

MTA, you done good.

Yes, I have seen much more of them, in the morning, while i have been walking along FB Ave to Kings Plaza, i have seen a lot more Q35's signed up to RIIS Park and wondering what that was all about.