BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Random Thought #1: Wonder if the Bronx will have still have O5s to send to MCH by the time it opens...buses should be around 14-15 years old, and it wouldn't be the first time a new depot got an old fleet (West Side got ancient RTSes).

Random Thought #2: Do the 2002-2003 D60HFs weigh significantly more than the 1996-1997 and even 1998-1999 D60HFs? It's always the feeling that I get while riding on those buses.

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Random Thought #1: Wonder if the Bronx will have still have O5s to send to MCH by the time it opens...buses should be around 14-15 years old, and it wouldn't be the first time a new depot got an old fleet (West Side got ancient RTSes).

Random Thought #2: Do the 2002-2003 D60HFs weigh significantly more than the 1996-1997 and even 1998-1999 D60HFs? It's always the feeling that I get while riding on those buses.

Not really...they all weight about 65,000lbs

Not really...they all weight about 65,000lbs

Makes sense, they just ride and accelerate so much differently.

^:

1: Who knows? They'll get what's available...

2. Why would they be heavier?

Oh, I was thinking potentially due to the EGR engines, the insulation, etc. But I guess not.

--

Saw 5056 earlier today, they overhauled that bus but didn't renumber the roof. Seems strange, has no numbers on top (like 6700).

Edited by MHV9218

Now that's a surprise, over at TU it's a sad story. No power and no acceleration, awful ride, nothing. The 5520-5560s are some of the slowest buses I've ridden, always have been. Even Quill's buses run pretty slowly, and the WF buses are no better. I could be biased cause I'm used to dealing with TU where even the older D60s are disasters, but the 1000s always treated me better. Even 1107 at the very end, bus flew, same with 5355 and the oldest 1999s. Maybe it just has to do with the environment, I'd think KB buses get beaten to death though.

I think there is someone in staten island specifially breaking the pull cords on the xd40s..

tell me why the hell...

pull cords are broken...doesnt make no sense

Folks who ride those buses absolutely have no respect for buses.... Plus people keep pulling those cords too hard...

You got animals on the bus...duh!!

LOL. True, True....

Now that's a surprise, over at TU it's a sad story. No power and no acceleration, awful ride, nothing. The 5520-5560s are some of the slowest buses I've ridden, always have been. Even Quill's buses run pretty slowly, and the WF buses are no better. I could be biased cause I'm used to dealing with TU where even the older D60s are disasters, but the 1000s always treated me better. Even 1107 at the very end, bus flew, same with 5355 and the oldest 1999s. Maybe it just has to do with the environment, I'd think KB buses get beaten to death though.

Haven't ridden a TU bus in a long while.... I'll take your word for it though... Yeah, KB buses do get beaten to death... Trust me... The 40 footers are in a bit better shape than the artics...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

All the 1000s, even those that got shipped back up to The Bronx hauled some serious ass till the very end. Some of the fast buses within that batch at TU I've been on were 5561, 5546, 5527, 5538 and 5551.

I miss the 1000s, some of the best Series 50 sounding buses I've ever been on.

All the 1000s, even those that got shipped back up to The Bronx hauled some serious ass till the very end. Some of the fast buses within that batch at TU I've been on were 5561, 5546, 5527, 5538 and 5551.

I miss the 1000s, some of the best Series 50 sounding buses I've ever been on.

Wow, I feel even more special for actually being able to operate 1078 while it was at it's last days at west farms...power on the flat but once it was on an incline it would roll back.

Yeah, I believe it has more to do with the heavy vehicular and pedestrian traffic Manhattan has to deal with because each of those 55xx's from Quill haul some serious ass. Although I do have to admit that there are some oldies that outperform the 02-03's like 5295.

Edited by youngblaze

Wow, I feel even more special for actually being able to operate 1078 while it was at it's last days at west farms...power on the flat but once it was on an incline it would roll back.

At least from the 1000s I rode in The Bronx, they had that deal where they would roll back. Some of the ones at 126 had that thing as well when it was going uphill from 49th to 57th and it would stand at the light, its not a significant rollback but you can notice it. As good as those buses were, they were also tired. I know 126 ran their buses hard.

3948 and 5206 are the latest casualties to hit the M23 on morning rush hour.

I don't understand to why that bus line is prone to delays, and equipment changes.

I wonder what's going to happen with the M23 within the coming months.

What's up with that? Are they short on artics or what? I see nothing but new buses on the M79 when I'm on the BxM2 but yet they have no buses for the M23?

What's up with that? Are they short on artics or what? I see nothing but new buses on the M79 when I'm on the BxM2 but yet they have no buses for the M23?

Meanwhile Quill is supposed to get a 2nd batch of buses right after 126th or Gun Hill. I forget the bus order..

Right now, I don't know Quill's situation.

Seen most of the 58xx buses on the M14A/D, M79 (as you indicated), and some on M23.

It's been like that for the last 4-6 weeks. I've seen 5017, 5022, 5200, 5204 all on the M23 during the AM rush on occasions.

Sheesh, send some to the M14A/D. M23 = EXTERME SLOW.

Few days ago I saw 414 on the B9. 4248 and 4278 still around at FB....

Looks like 4608 returned back from the island. 4257, 4261 back at Yukon.

Hope 4581 and 4630 both return back from the island soon.

Other random things: 5052 and 5053 on the B46 <--- Got a feeling those 2 are on their way out. The extinction of the 5000's are slowly drifting away from FB, and no buses in return in that matter.

Artics to Brooklyn = A long way to go.

Looks like 4608 returned back from the island. 4257, 4261 back at Yukon.

Hope 4581 and 4630 both return back from the island soon.

Other random things: 5052 and 5053 on the B46 <--- Got a feeling those 2 are on their way out. The extinction of the 5000's are slowly drifting away from FB, and no buses in return in that matter.

Artics to Brooklyn = A long way to go.

Why were any buses swapped with Staten Island anyway? I mean they've only had those buses for a few years.

@ future fla b/o: I've seen 5047 and 5049 a few times. I'm just waiting to see if ENY will take them like 5046 and below. I think FB has gotten quite a bunch of 9600s from QV and other places. I think most of the lower 9600s especially the 9610s are practically accounted for. But if the SBS ever comes, I hope they are the XD60s. I would not even mind seeing even the 5100s go if it is the new NF artics that comes.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I was on the 2:45 PM S40 at St. George yesterday, and someone who didn't pay was actually arrested by the police. He looked to be in his teens, but let farebeating be a lesson to him.

They need to patrol that S40 hard....trips going to St. George is almost nothing but farebeaters smh.

Today's the second day I outwalked the S44 from Broadway to Trantor Place, a distance of 1.7 miles (not counting the distance I walked down to get to Cary Avenue in the first place). And I'm still seeing those stickers on the bus stop poles with some guy trolling for gay sex (they're all over the place on the S44 & S46 routes, and probably on a few other routes in the Port Richmond area) WTH & SMH at the same time. :o

I was on the 2:45 PM S40 at St. George yesterday, and someone who didn't pay was actually arrested by the police. He looked to be in his teens, but let farebeating be a lesson to him.

My question is have you seen other folks besides cops dealing with the farebeaters on the SI local buses? The (MTA) said yesterday that they are stepping up patrols with those Eagle Teams, but those guys aren't armed or anything, so some folks don't think it will be effective. My understanding is that the Eagle Team will be working in coordination with the NYPD and if that's the case then perhaps it could work.