BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

By the way, the Hispanic population in all of those areas (along the western end of the X30) is larger than the Black population. Do you see many Hispanics on the X30 or no?

Yeah, there are some but I'm not sure if they're numbers are as high as the percentage of blacks that ride (along the western end of the X30), though it wouldn't be terribly lower, since there are also some Asians that ride as well. I would say many (Hispanics) get on and off there in Mariner's Harbor and a few in Port Richmond. Same for the Asians for the most part; mainly there in Mariner's Harbor/Graniteville. The whites that remain that don't get off in Mariner's Harbor, Graniteville or Port Richmond usually get off in West Brighton or further up in Randall Manor.

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well there may be more folks moving here, but that doesn't mean that you have more and more folks living side by side that are of different backgrounds, esp. not on the South Shore. The South Shore is still heavily white, even if they are immigrants, they're still white immigrants.

As for the cab drivers here, yeah, most of the drivers that I get are white.

Ah, but they're still immigrants. ;) I mean, people complain about Mexican immigrants, but there are people who also complain about Russians and Albanians and other White immigrants.

Yeah, there are some but I'm not sure if they're numbers are as high as the percentage of blacks that ride, though it wouldn't be terribly lower, since there are also some Asians that ride as well. I would say many (Hispanics) get on and off there in Mariner's Harbor and a few in Port Richmond. Same for the Asians for the most part. The whites that remain that don't get off in Mariner's Harbor, Graniteville or Port Richmond usually get off in West Brighton or further up in Randall Manor.

You know, I'll tell you another racist experience with a driver. I was waiting for the S46 and it didn't show up so I decided to run down to the S48. The light was against me, but it turned green (for me) before the bus crossed the intersection. So I see the bus pulling out of the stop by Western Beef and pull up to the traffic light, so I tap on the door thinking she'll just let me in. She refuses because "I wasn't at the stop", so I chase her all the way down to Richmond Avene (I got hit by a car too :eek: but it was only going 2 mph, so I was fine and got up and kept on running). I get on and then later on in Westerleigh, a White woman is running for the bus and the B/O holds it for her. She was the same distance from the bus that I was and yet she holds the bus for her and not me. :) )

Ah, but they're still immigrants. ;) I mean, people complain about Mexican immigrants, but there are people who also complain about Russians and Albanians and other White immigrants.

And the funny thing is that's exactly who I hear complaints about... The Albanians esp. because many of them are Muslim, followed by the Russians, esp. since they tend not to speak English. I do have to admit that they drive me crazy on the express bus. Non stop yacking in Russian the whole time at levels that are just way too loud. Loud is loud in my opinion, regardless of the language. :mad: The other day while I was in the cab, this regular that I get (Italian-American (Sicilian lady)) was talking about how the Albanians are moving here and how they're Muslim and such, as if they're not trustworthy or something. Gotta chuckle as I'm writing because the more I write, the more I realize how often these conversations come up, started by the cab drivers. LOL

You know, I'll tell you another racist experience with a driver. I was waiting for the S46 and it didn't show up so I decided to run down to the S48. The light was against me, but it turned green (for me) before the bus crossed the intersection. So I see the bus pulling out of the stop by Western Beef and pull up to the traffic light, so I tap on the door thinking she'll just let me in. She refuses because "I wasn't at the stop", so I chase her all the way down to Richmond Avene (I got hit by a car too :eek: but it was only going 2 mph, so I was fine and got up and kept on running). I get on and then later on in Westerleigh, a White woman is running for the bus and the B/O holds it for her. She was the same distance from the bus that I was and yet she holds the bus for her and not me. :) )

LOL... Maybe she didn't see you or at least I'm sure she would use that excuse... LOL You also have to realize that males usually get the short-end of the stick in those situations unless they're elderly. Otherwise, it's screw you, but you'll have people yell out on the bus to hold the bus for a woman though. :(

LOL... Maybe she didn't see you or at least I'm sure she would use that excuse... LOL You also have to realize that males usually get the short-end of the stick in those situations unless they're elderly. Otherwise, it's screw you, but you'll have people yell out on the bus to hold the bus for a woman though. :)

Or maybe she knew my real name was Speedy Gonzales and I'd catch up to her anyway. ;) I told this story to my friends and they were practically begging me to join the track team (I mean, I ran 1/2 mile from the S46 to the S48, and then ran another 1/2 mile chasing after the bus, and I wasn't even that out of breath when I got on). My friends are always eager to hear mu "bus stories" (one of my friends' father drives a bus out of Yukon. I joked around with him and asked if the reason he drives express buses is because he hears my "bus stories" and doesn't want to deal with the local buses)

Looking back, I was lucky the car hit me the way it did. I made it across all the lanes of Richmond Avenue except the right lane, and the car didn't see me and started moving. Luckily when it hit me I fell forward on the windshield so he saw me and stopped (instead of falling backwards and not being in his line of sight), or else I might not be sitting here today typing this. :eek:

Or maybe she knew my real name was Speedy Gonzales and I'd catch up to her anyway. ;) I told this story to my friends and they were practically begging me to join the track team (I mean, I ran 1/2 mile from the S46 to the S48, and then ran another 1/2 mile chasing after the bus, and I wasn't even that out of breath when I got on). My friends are always eager to hear mu "bus stories" (one of my friends' father drives a bus out of Yukon. I joked around with him and asked if the reason he drives express buses is because he hears my "bus stories" and doesn't want to deal with the local buses)

Looking back, I was lucky the car hit me the way it did. I made it across all the lanes of Richmond Avenue except the right lane, and the car didn't see me and started moving. Luckily when it hit me I fell forward on the windshield so he saw me and stopped (instead of falling backwards and not being in his line of sight), or else I might not be sitting here today typing this. :eek:

Speaking of lady B/Os and express bus drivers, have you ever had this one white lady on the local lines? I had her years ago when I used to take the S98 and God was a she a pain!! :mad::mad::mad: Drove slow as malasses, announced every single stop, spoke to every single passenger. Basically one of those follow every rule to the "T".... Well I used to avoid taking her bus so that I could make the ferry on time. LOL

Anywho, one night I take the X1 home and who do I get but her. :eek::eek: :) I knew I would it would be a long ride and man some folks were getting a good chuckle out of her. She actually drove pretty quick this time, but she still did the whole "Ladies and gentleman, my next stop will be blah blah blah". "You may transfer to blah blah blah". lol The thing that makes her seem weird is she sounds like a robot or something. Kinda freaky. :eek:

Speaking of lady B/Os and express bus drivers, have you ever had this one white lady on the local lines? I had her years ago when I used to take the S98 and God was a she a pain!! :mad::mad::mad: Drove slow as malasses, announced every single stop, spoke to every single passenger. Basically one of those follow every rule to the "T".... Well I used to avoid taking her bus so that I could make the ferry on time. LOL

Anywho, one night I take the X1 home and who do I get but her. :eek::eek: ;) I knew I would it would be a long ride and man some folks were getting a good chuckle out of her. She actually drove pretty quick this time, but she still did the whole "Ladies and gentleman, my next stop will be blah blah blah". "You may transfer to blah blah blah". lol The thing that makes her seem weird is she sounds like a robot or something. Kinda freaky. :eek:

This driver only announced the major stops (Jewett Avenue, Broadway, etc), and didn't announce the transfers, so it wasn't the one you're thinking of. I doubt I've had her because most of the drivers I see on the S48/S98 are male, but anyway that sounds pretty funny.

And yeah, during the summer there was a specific S92 that could make the ferry only if there was a good driver (it was scheduled to miss it by 5 minutes), so it was always either a Russian guy or a heavyset Black woman. The Russian guy would take his sweet time, and the Black woman would always floor it, so I would check to see who was driving before I got on (if it was the Russian guy, I would just take the S93 and go through Brooklyn, which is why I would run to CSI instead of the stop closer to home, to give myself more options)

This driver only announced the major stops (Jewett Avenue, Broadway, etc), and didn't announce the transfers, so it wasn't the one you're thinking of. I doubt I've had her

We had a male driver that was worse than her in terms of driving. Holy cow!! I got him once on the S98 that was SRO and I stood towards the front of the bus just to see how slow he drove and I couldn't believe how bad he was. He drove so slow that the next S98 would catch up to us while he was driving there by say Forest near Silver Lake park and would pass him! :mad: To make matters worse, we would of course miss the ferry! :mad: Old white dude.... Must've retired... Thank God for that! :cool::cool: :tup:

We had a male driver that was worse than her in terms of driving. Holy cow!! I got him once on the S98 that was SRO and I stood towards the front of the bus just to see how slow he drove and I couldn't believe how bad he was. He drove so slow that the next S98 would catch up to us while he was driving there by say Forest near Silver Lake park and would pass him! :mad: To make matters worse, we would of course miss the ferry! :mad: Old white dude.... Must've retired... Thank God for that! :cool::cool: :tup:

So how far behind was that second bus supposed to be (e.g. Was the slow one the 06:59 out of Arlington, and you were passed by the 07:04 which was supposed to be 5 minutes behind)

By the way, how crowded does the S98 get (on average) coming into St. George? How many standees? Have you ever had to flag people?

And one of the S89 drivers is like that. He's a nice guy, but there are plenty of times he's managed to come late even though the schedule has plenty of time alloted (of course, that's helped me before when I was running late, so I'm not complaining). I could picture there being a lot of times when the passengers missed their HBLR (of course, it's not as bad as missing the ferry because the HBLR is more frequent)

So how far behind was that second bus supposed to be (e.g. Was the slow one the 06:59 out of Arlington, and you were passed by the 07:04 which was supposed to be 5 minutes behind)

By the way, how crowded does the S98 get (on average) coming into St. George? How many standees? Have you ever had to flag people?

And one of the S89 drivers is like that. He's a nice guy, but there are plenty of times he's managed to come late even though the schedule has plenty of time alloted (of course, that's helped me before when I was running late, so I'm not complaining). I could picture there being a lot of times when the passengers missed their HBLR (of course, it's not as bad as missing the ferry because the HBLR is more frequent)

Perhaps, but what was more annoying was seeing no cars in sight there by Forest and Brighton Avenue, which as you know is wider over there and he's driving along slowly and the other bus just goes right in front of him and passes him by. :)

As for your other question, those two S98s in the morning can get very crowded, and often times (at least back in the old days with the Orions), that first one would be packed, so packed that you may not be able to get on, but if you could, you would be right at the door. In other words standing in the doorway. I would usually try to avoid that but there was no guarantee that the next bus due 5 minutes later would come quick enough to catch the ferry (which believe it or not was not always an overflow bus since sometimes the two S98s would sometimes run together, thus making for two decently crowded buses), so it was always a gamble. :( Yet another reason I switched to the X16. Overcrowded and unreliable and you can't afford to keep having to stress out about getting to work on time. Missing that one boat really screws up the commute because usually the next boat doesn't leave on time and then of course you dock later, so now you've lost a good 30 minutes just from missing that one boat which runs about every 15 mins or so at that time, not including the ride on the subway.

I was wrong about JG not having V CNGs anymore, there was one on the B8 yesterday morning...

Also, yesterday, I was running some errads at the Junction and my favorite bus showed up.... 232! :)

Since the B11 goes near where I live I rode on it, I'm glad my first ride on a new C40LF was on the B11... as my first ride on the old ones was on the B11 as well. It kept up a personal traditition of mine!

Yesterday, I might have had my last ever ride on a 96 Nova on a UP route (9231).... they was the backbone of the UP fleet for many years. Crazy to believe in a matter of weeks they will be completely gone from UP!

I don't really care as I had more than enough rides on these buses over the years and FLA will still have them, unless the 98s that get pushed out of UP go to FLA, I'd rather see them go to ENY though. AFAIK they don't have any buses in the 9350 - 9699 batch and it would cool to see them there.

Many depots are receiving new fleets of buses every month, but I think this coming summer/fall will make things sweeter to top it all: when Brooklyn (Flatbush Depot) sees articulated bus service, finally, on the upcoming B44SBS (and occasional appearances on the B41 & 46 routes).

Anywho, one night I take the X1 home and who do I get but her. :eek::eek: :) I knew I would it would be a long ride and man some folks were getting a good chuckle out of her. She actually drove pretty quick this time, but she still did the whole "Ladies and gentleman, my next stop will be blah blah blah". "You may transfer to blah blah blah". lol The thing that makes her seem weird is she sounds like a robot or something. Kinda freaky. :eek:

She did her job and people like you should appreciate it,Not bitch about it

He did his job and got you to the ferry safe and sound ,Not to mention you was playing I-Spy in the front just to see what he was doing....dicckk

Many depots are receiving new fleets of buses every month, but I think this coming summer/fall will make things sweeter to top it all: when Brooklyn (Flatbush Depot) sees articulated bus service, finally, on the upcoming B44SBS (and occasional appearances on the B41 & 46 routes).

Like I said in another thread, I've been to flatbush a couple times. And unless they completely changed the floor plan inside the depot, they will have serious problems maneuvering those buses inside...best of luck to everyone having to drive those buses inside the depot.

Like I said in another thread, I've been to flatbush a couple times. And unless they completely changed the floor plan inside the depot, they will have serious problems maneuvering those buses inside...best of luck to everyone having to drive those buses inside the depot

the 44sbs is going to grand i heard

No, it's coming to Flatbush.

This morning I finally got a new C40 on my commute on the B8! :cool:

Ok, so I'm walking down the block towards the bus stop, I see a NG hybrid on the B49, but behind it was a C40LF, I couldn't see the destination sign so I assumed it was a old one. But then it pulled out and I saw the Orange destination sign, I quickly ran across the street so I wouldn't miss it..

While I'm waiting I'm looking like this....

xd9nir.jpg

Then the bus pulls into the stop, I get on, ooh man, bus had new bus smell, I walk on the bus, dip my Metrocard while doing the Diddy bop walking towards the back, grumpy ass middle age woman mean muggin (Didn't get seat until Newkirk).

It was awesome, bus really quiet and smooth, one of best commutes I had on that route to date, also, to note this was the run that ALWAYS had V CNGs, I think there gone from the depot for real this time. I seen 4 new C40s this morning alone, one of them on the B11 and the other three on the B8..

I also got a new C40 on the B70 coming home, I didn't really get to enjoy the ride though, that's counting when it uses JG other two LF fleets as well....

While I was gone, I finally rode a Nova Artic and an SBS line at the same time. M15 SBS while in Manhattan from 34th to ~Catherine st. Ride on the bus was pretty nice and it was pretty convenient to board the bus. I'm so glad it was a 3-door bus. It was pretty packed at 34th.

Later in the day I saw a couple of Prevost buses on the SI express routes. Also I saw 7426 on a SC route and 2185 [9/11 bus]-X38 within minutes of each other.

Early this month I finally saw the new C40lfs on the b9: 247 on one day and 248 the next. All this and I didn't even have to go out to look for them.

As of this morning there's at least two Orion V CNGs still at JG. 9911 and 9864? the former was on the B8 and the latter was on the B70.

The driver that always had the V CNG had a new C40 again this morning.

I think I know why this dude likes the new C40s... well on the older buses at JG this dude would always announce on the PA speaker for people move away from the back door, he doesn't like people to stand too close to the rear door.

As you all know, on the new C40s its not necessary to do that as the computer voice does it for you...

with that being said, I left late and missed his bus, so I just rode his follower, which shockingly had a old C40LF.

Why shocking?

Well, this run is a hawk, I know over in SI, before the Novas came I heard they only used the NGs on the hawk runs, JG still using old C40LF on hawk runs, I don't really care as I like both variants of the C40LFs at JG, just thought that was interesting.

I remember I rode the B8 hawk (Well one of the B8 hawks overlaps into the AM rush so... I rode it in the AM rush lol) and it was a ex CP Orion V CNG!

JG sending a V CNG on a hawk, Mind = Blown.

Interesting, few weeks ago I saw 9911 on the B9. I had no idea there were only 2 left. Not that I liked O5s, but looks like it'll be all lf for JG...

There could be more than two still there, those are just the ones I seen. Before the new C40s came and all that LIB loaner stuff started, JG only had like 15-20 Orion V CNGs, its seems like they have the same amount of new C40s now, that's why I was kinda shocked I saw two of them this morning.