BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Only the M60 and M125 are moving for the next pick. The latter because 100 St keeps borrowing buses from other depots and they wanna put a stop to that.

I don't think that's the reason because they'll be short regardless of whether that line is or isn't there.

• Replies 39.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• B35 via Church

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

I don't think that's the reason because they'll be short regardless of whether that line is or isn't there.

9 hours ago, Ex696 said:

Oh, well, I guess it allows for easier deadheads since Mother Clara Hale is closer to both of the M125 terminals than Tuskegee Airmen is.

It's more to help ease scheduling issues at TU, even without the loans they are terrible at managing their bus routes at this particular moment 

6 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

It's more to help ease scheduling issues at TU, even without the loans they are terrible at managing their bus routes at this particular moment

Alright, I'll take note of that. But would they send all of their XD60s to Mother Clara Hale?

4 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

Alright, I'll take note of that. But would they send all of their XD60s to Mother Clara Hale?

That was just a speculation from my part. I said it would not surprise me if they did as Hale would need buses for the 125 and they’re most likely sending the Novas back to Quill.

12 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Tuskegee is always going to be in a shortage regardless (and quite frankly an investigation needs to be done as to why this is a repeat issue).

A lot of people want the Bx15 to go back to the way it was, so having Bx15 trips to Manhattan to become full M125 trippers would be a solid move.

If that's the case, should the M100 go back to serving East Harlem?

12 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

I'm honestly not sure. Originally, I said yes, and that truncation honestly killed a pretty good portion of its ridership. It's basically an afterthought along most of Amsterdam Avenue now and the M101 is as packed as ever, since most people usually wait for it instead of taking the M100 down to 125th Street instead of transferring. But now, I'm just not sure. Someone I talked to made a notion that it was good because it meant less buses on 125th Street because he believed they contributed significantly to the traffic congestion 125th Street is known for just as much as the cars do. Not sure how that point plays to other people, though.

4 hours ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

I also don't think that's the reason either.

Between them being short on buses, the amount of buses held for maintenance(especially now with the overtime fiasco), and the amount of runs dropped because of the lack of buses and operators sent home because there were no buses available for service, it's been a hot mess in Manhattan altogether.

The deadhead for the M125 to the West Side is also a bit shorter by 6-7 minutes depending on which way the operators are instructed to take for their deadheads.

It's likely a multitude of reasons as to why the M125 is going to Hale.

Edited by Cait Sith

41 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

which way the operators are instructed to take for their deadheads.

Speaking of, are operators required to take a specific route to deadhead or can they just take any way that makes sense? (i.e, no narrow streets or routes that require difficult turns)

10 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

...are operators required to take a specific route to deadhead

yes. there are definitely official deadhead paths operators must use. they're always posted in the depot. also, there are official run ons/run offs from both terminals to a line's assigned depot for every line in the system, TA/OA/Bus Company 

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

A lot of people want the Bx15 to go back to the way it was, so having Bx15 trips to Manhattan to become full M125 trippers would be a solid move.

M125 should've never became a thing to begin with.... The Bx41/SBS actually benefits more from the Bx15/M125 split than the Bx15 does 🙃

3 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

3 hours ago, Ex696 said:

I'm honestly not sure. Originally, I said yes, and that truncation honestly killed a pretty good portion of its ridership. It's basically an afterthought along most of Amsterdam Avenue now and the M101 is as packed as ever, since most people usually wait for it instead of taking the M100 down to 125th Street instead of transferring. But now, I'm just not sure. Someone I talked to made a notion that it was good because it meant less buses on 125th Street because he believed they contributed significantly to the traffic congestion 125th Street is known for just as much as the cars do. Not sure how that point plays to other people, though.

I loathe this truncated M100, so my answer is a resounding Yes....

The one thing nobody really talks about with the M101 is that there's a stark imbalance b/w [through-riding through 125th due SB from points north] vs. that of [through-riding through 125th due NB from points south].... The latter is clearly more potent than the former.... Generally speaking, IMO anyway, there is far less of a need to connect Amsterdam av. to 3rd/Lex, than there is to fill the void the M15 leaves off, with it terminating at 2nd/126th... A lot of that through riding through 125th due NB on the M101 are of people boarding in East Harlem (south of 125th)....

Be there as it may, I've always thought the M100 should pick up the slack the NB M15 leaves off in East Harlem... Always hated that walk from the last stop of the NB M15 (along 126th st, adjacent the old 126th st depot) to where the M100's first NB stop used to be (along 125th at 2nd, just west of that gas station on that corner).... Pretty sure there's a decent amt of ppl. seeking points along 125th & points north, that are more proximate to those projects along 1st av (East River, Jefferson, Wilson, and I think the other one is Wagner) that are hoofing it over to 3rd to get to the NB M101.... Either that, or are coming off M116's....

So not only should the M100 be reverted, I'd have it operate via 1st/2nd av's, to terminate at/around the Washington houses (NYCHA), or even 96th st (Q)....

The M101 should be eroded.

3 hours ago, Ex696 said:
3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

....depending on which way the operators are instructed to take for their deadheads.

Speaking of, are operators required to take a specific route to deadhead or can they just take any way that makes sense? (i.e, no narrow streets or routes that require difficult turns)

Lol.... The post you quoted, answered the question.... Instructed, required, all mean the same thing in this sense....

Although there are definitely b/o's that practically do wtf they want whilst DH-ing, they really shouldn't be doing that shit.... 

6 minutes ago, Ex696 said:

What would you have replace it?

To sum it up,:

• Extended & expanded M98 (I still can't get over that truncation of the thing to Hunter College), and...
  • The aforementioned M100 idea, with which service on the northern end would be branched to:
    • running to Ft. George [a la, the current M101 north of 125th]
    • running to Inwood-220th [a la, the current M100 north of 125th]

19 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

The M125 move likely is for easier deadheads, and I’m not sure whom but someone in this thread was also talking about having the M125 interline with the M35, in terms of the M60 moving back to WSIDE Roof repairs are nearly finished. Some of the Operators who came to Hale for the M60  complained about cleanliness and lack of work due to there only being 4 other routes.

10 hours ago, Ex696 said:

Hale would likely get 100 Streets’ XD60s as Hale would have to give back 5444-5467 to MJQ For the M60-SBS, and since that is happening they would need additional buses to take over the M125 which would be the XD60s from Tuskegee Airmen.

5 minutes ago, Jalil Prime said:

The M125 move likely is for easier deadheads, and I’m not sure whom but someone in this thread was also talking about having the M125 interline with the M35, in terms of the M60 moving back to WSIDE Roof repairs are nearly finished. Some of the Operators who came to Hale for the M60  complained about cleanliness and lack of work due to there only being 4 other routes.

The M35 as a whole doesn't have much interlined runs to begin with. I don't see that changing.

6 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

The M35 as a whole doesn't have much interlined runs to begin with

Is there an easy way to check routes out for the interlined runs? There is TransSee, but you have to go through every individual run, and it doesn't indicate beforehand if they're interlined, so looking for them can be tedious there.

1 minute ago, Ex696 said:

Is there an easy way to check routes out for the interlined runs? There is TransSee, but you have to go through every individual run, and it doesn't indicate beforehand if they're interlined, so looking for them can be tedious there.

No.