BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

52 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

How come MTA supervisors aren’t able to give out tickets to people obstructing bus lanes and bus stops? 

MTAPD don’t really have much of a presence in nyc outside of stations and the nypd really couldn’t care less. 

Similar to how DSNY supervisors are able to ticket and generate revenue for their agency 

I think they technically can do that? I think I've read that somewhere. They certainly wear badges and their MTA cars have red flashing lights, so they should have some ability to give tickets

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I think they technically can do that? I think I've read that somewhere. They certainly wear badges and their MTA cars have red flashing lights, so they should have some ability to give tickets

Read that where? 

doesn’t seem to be a directive on that & those lights don’t mean sh*t

8 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

How come MTA supervisors aren’t able to give out tickets to people obstructing bus lanes and bus stops? 

MTAPD don’t really have much of a presence in nyc outside of stations and the nypd really couldn’t care less. 

Similar to how DSNY supervisors are able to ticket and generate revenue for their agency 

7 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I don't know about tickets, but there are a few stops that I get a lot of complaints about and I was told that they were being worked on.  Sometimes that may mean sending over a supervisor to run out the offenders, but in other cases, it's having the NYPD traffic cops come out and ramp up writing tickets. I've seen that at some stops like 86th & 3rd.  That stop is much much better now compared to some months ago where school buses and the like would just park right in the stops and sit there. The real plan over time though is to have more tickets issued via cameras.

https://abc7ny.com/bus-lane-violations-crackdown-mta-manhattan/12138112/

7 hours ago, KDGallagher said:

Read that where? 

doesn’t seem to be a directive on that & those lights don’t mean sh*t

On here, I think a BO posted on here that some supervisors can write tickets. If i can find it, I'll link to it. That's why I wrote in a tentative manner. I'm not at all sure about it

What I'm saying is, if they are gonna have a badge that looks like a police badge, and flashing lighrs like a police car, at least let them write tickets lol. 

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

On here, I think a BO posted on here that some supervisors can write tickets. If i can find it, I'll link to it. That's why I wrote in a tentative manner. I'm not at all sure about it

What I'm saying is, if they are gonna have a badge that looks like a police badge, and flashing lighrs like a police car, at least let them write tickets lol. 

Even if they can though, most of the supervisors are being pulled so many ways these days that they certainly can't spend all of their time writing tickets.  Just not enough staff as it is.  Furthermore they are responsible for a number of things, which includes going to the scenes of accidents and sometimes they need to write up reports and such in the office, so they wear many many hats.

Last Wed i decided to visit a few ppl in Manhatten and the Bronx....Got off Metro north From Stamford at 125-Harlem and Decided to use the bus rather than the 6 train to Hunts point ave...Caught the M101 to the Bx6...On the 101 and a i kid u not i saw at least 8-9 ppl simply get on the back and have a seat like its free.......i only rode the bus from just 125st-5av-155st-amsterdam...What i also notice is that the B/O Opens the back door even when there no one getting off....Me personally B/O Shouldnt open the back doors unless someone is getting off...Cause like 7 out of the 9 i saw got on the back without anybody getting off cause the B/O Opens both the front and back...

1 hour ago, biGC323232 said:

Last Wed i decided to visit a few ppl in Manhatten and the Bronx....Got off Metro north From Stamford at 125-Harlem and Decided to use the bus rather than the 6 train to Hunts point ave...Caught the M101 to the Bx6...On the 101 and a i kid u not i saw at least 8-9 ppl simply get on the back and have a seat like its free.......i only rode the bus from just 125st-5av-155st-amsterdam...What i also notice is that the B/O Opens the back door even when there no one getting off....Me personally B/O Shouldnt open the back doors unless someone is getting off...Cause like 7 out of the 9 i saw got on the back without anybody getting off cause the B/O Opens both the front and back...

If someone wants to walk on they'll walk on

People who walk on and take a seat >> people who walk on, dip a knowingly empty metro card and then walk on. 

2 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

They must part of the "Transit should be free crowd", which means higher fares for the people that do pay like yourself. Gotta love it...

18 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Even if they can though, most of the supervisors are being pulled so many ways these days that they certainly can't spend all of their time writing tickets.  Just not enough staff as it is.  Furthermore they are responsible for a number of things, which includes going to the scenes of accidents and sometimes they need to write up reports and such in the office, so they wear many many hats.

Hire more. Not that they really need to, they already have a good amount of dispatchers with no work to do

But I don't think it would hurt to hire more that can not only generate revenue for NYCT but also make bus service more efficient and improve the customer commute. 

The MTA should certainly be able to police their bus stops

2 minutes ago, KDGallagher said:

Hire more. Not that they really need to, they already have a good amount of dispatchers with no work to do

But I don't think it would hurt to hire more that can not only generate revenue for NYCT but also make bus service more efficient and improve the customer commute. 

The MTA should certainly be able to police their bus stops

Supervisors and Dispatchers aren't the same thing. The Supervisors oversee the Dispatchers.  The real issue in any event is so many cars are parked in bus stops. There would never be enough (MTA) personnel to get them out.  That's why going the automated route is best where cameras take shots of the license plates and a ticket is sent to the offender in the mail.  Only problem is some people aren't aware of this. Sometimes having a NYPD presence sends the message as well.

4 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

Here on the B35 (an articulated route, like the M101), couple blocks from the crib, it's nothing to see 20, 30+ people pile on to the back of the bus (Utica/Church, WB direction)... I'm numb to it.... All it takes is for one person to get off at the back of the bus... Then the floodgates open.... Age range, don't matter - from schoolkids to great grandma with the small shopping cart (my personal favorite is when they give a certain smile when they get a seat... can't really explain it, but you just know it when you see it).... You'll even get people that try to pry the backdoors open, if no one's getting off at the back.... It aint like in your home state where the b/o's will verbally confront a farebeater - b/o's here don't gaf & I honestly do not blame them at this point.... Some these fools are quick to pull out a knife or a burner if a b/o parts their lips to even mention paying some fare....

14 hours ago, biGC323232 said:

It’s a very big issue that apparently has become NYC culture.

12 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Here on the B35 (an articulated route, like the M101), couple blocks from the crib, it's nothing to see 20, 30+ people pile on to the back of the bus (Utica/Church, WB direction)... I'm numb to it.... All it takes is for one person to get off at the back of the bus... Then the floodgates open.... Age range, don't matter - from schoolkids to great grandma with the small shopping cart (my personal favorite is when they give a certain smile when they get a seat... can't really explain it, but you just know it when you see it).... You'll even get people that try to pry the backdoors open, if no one's getting off at the back.... It aint like in your home state where the b/o's will verbally confront a farebeater - b/o's here don't gaf & I honestly do not blame them at this point.... Some these fools are quick to pull out a knife or a burner if a b/o parts their lips to even mention paying some fare....

Oh trust me i know all about it on the B35.....I grew up just like 15 mins away from you sheffield av ENY...lol....I moved to Jersey City about 6-7 years ago but still be in Brklyn...I agree that the way crime is that its very risky to put ya life on the line with farebeating..B/O has familys to go home to no doubt i would be the same way....Some NJT B/O like u said confronts passengers that try...Some wont...It happens sometime on the 87 and the 1...

2 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

They are really gonna do this crap?! 

EDIT: It gonna be flip up seats, no permanent loss of seating, that's not too bad IMO. Just saw the story on the news..

Maybe I'm misremembering but some of the 4700s on the B1 had permanent loss of seating during the trial period, I'm assuming they are gonna refit the 1,000 buses with flip up seats.

Edited by trainfan22

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Maybe I'm misremembering but some of the 4700s on the B1 had permanent loss of seating during the trial period, I'm assuming they are gonna refit the 1,000 buses with flip up seats.

Those 4700s that's used on the B1 did lose a number of seats, but not a majority. The middle side where the 2nd door is located is where that pilot occurred. 

Edited by Calvin

The major issue with the flip up seats is even though they’ve been around for a while people still don’t know about them.

Also on a side note does anyone know if the MTA is finally removing the seat covers on the new Nova buses. I’m starting to see more CS Novas without the seat cover behind the driver. But I have yet to see cover removed on a QV or JA bus. 

15 hours ago, IAlam said:

Also on a side note does anyone know if the MTA is finally removing the seat covers on the new Nova buses. I’m starting to see more CS Novas without the seat cover behind the driver. But I have yet to see cover removed on a QV or JA bus. 

There are local buses with seat covers? News to me. I know I don't ride the local buses much, but I can't recall seeing anything but hard seats on the ones I've been on.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

There are local buses with seat covers? News to me. I know I don't ride the local buses much, but I can't recall seeing anything but hard seats on the ones I've been on.

He means the one loner seat behind the driver in the front of the bus not the seats them selves

14 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah I've seen that seat and it looks like the others, sans any seat cover, hence my confusion.

I think he is referring to the buses where there is a large metal plate over the seat itself, so no one can sit there. I know on the M31 electric buses those seats are blocked off, but I don’t know if that is just because they are the electric buses or not.

3 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

I think he is referring to the buses where there is a large metal plate over the seat itself, so no one can sit there. I know on the M31 electric buses those seats are blocked off, but I don’t know if that is just because they are the electric buses or not.

Ahhh. Yeah, that's something totally different. That's definitely not consistent though. Likely due to the amount of space between that seat and where the driver sits.

1 hour ago, jaf0519 said:

The Nova hybrids were delivered with the cover already on as well as the new diesel Novas in Queens, though that has changed with the seat being available on the recently delivered diesel units. The ones delivered beforehand still have the seat cover.

Edited by Kingsbridgeviewer382

4 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

This is what I was referring to only the new buses have it but it doesn't make sense because the loner seat has long since reopened on all the older buses. 

2 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

The Nova hybrids were delivered with the cover already on as well as the new diesel Novas in Queens, though that has changed with the seat being available on the recently delivered diesel units. The ones delivered beforehand still have the seat cover.

That's probably why I have slowly been seeing more and more of them without it. I genuinely thought for the longest time that the MTA just eliminated the seat there, so I was surprised to see it available on a couple buses recently. 

So far, Baisley Park's Express fleet is small but all new Prevosts minus that one MCI that they still have. The new units that were in-service do not have the wifi  support (established two weeks ago that it's removed on all buses). That's also on some of the older XD-40s like 7306 in Brooklyn (before, it used to have wifi but no longer connected and sticker removed). 

Edited by Calvin