BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

No. And I hope you mean like 15 years down the line (for the bold line). It probably won’t be LFS diesels, probably hybrids or electrics, same with the xcelsior series.

The 2011s will be replaced as part of this upcoming capital program, so more like within 3-5 years

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

Shuttle buses are currently running between Atlantic Avenue and Bay Ridge, on the entire (R) line in Brooklyn. Express and local buses are being used.

If any busfans are planning to fan this, just don't, and please, don't ride the buses. Save the seats for those that are trying to get to/from their destinations after a day of chaos and tragedy. It is simply not worth the OMG4KHDRAREEXCLUSIVE videos and pictures you all want to get.....

15 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Shuttle buses are currently running between Atlantic Avenue and Bay Ridge, on the entire (R) line in Brooklyn. Express and local buses are being used.

If any busfans are planning to fan this, just don't, and please, don't ride the buses. Save the seats for those that are trying to get to/from their destinations after a day of chaos and tragedy. It is simply not worth the OMG4KHDRAREEXCLUSIVE videos and pictures you all want to get.....

Too late for that, there was a flock of kids there filming the buses not too long ago.

18 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

News to me that they were still running shuttle buses. I checked their twitter page not too long ago and I saw the post up with all the buses on screen. Thought they stopped that after they started restoring service in the area.

Also given that it's an all hands on deck situation, I get why they're using express buses out there, even with potential dwell times.

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

News to me that they were still running shuttle buses. I checked their twitter page not too long ago and I saw the post up with all the buses on screen. Thought they stopped that after they started restoring service in the area.

Also given that it's an all hands on deck situation, I get why they're using express buses out there, even with potential dwell times.

The electeds asked for the shuttle buses. Even with the subway service restored, a lot of people have said that they are not returning to the subway immediately, so ridership will have to be monitored, both on the local buses and the express buses there. I got almost 100 people today that joined my group, either as current express bus riders or subway riders that are switching to the express bus.

5 hours ago, DaPr03 said:

Too late for that, there was a flock of kids there filming the buses not too long ago.

This would have happened regardless of era, buffs fanned the 9/11 subway service changes and that event was 1000 times worse.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the harm in filming this shuttle bus event? I could understand not riding the buses and taking up space from hard working commuters but what's the harm in taking photos and videos? Of course there's photos of the various subway car wrecks over the years taken by buffs.

BTW I did not fan this 4th Ave shuttle bus.

58 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

This would have happened regardless of era, buffs fanned the 9/11 subway service changes and that event was 1000 times worse.

Am I the only one who doesn't see the harm in filming this shuttle bus event? I could understand not riding the buses and taking up space from hard working commuters but what's the harm in taking photos and videos? Of course there's photos of the various subway car wrecks over the years taken by buffs.

Back then had fans that were actually cordial compared to the current day lol.

It's not necessarily bad, but its better not to get in the way of shit if you know what I mean. Some fans do go to some extremes to get what they want.

But from what I've seen, they did okay I suppose.

Edited by Cait Sith

5 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

That 2 station span is now a crime seen. Anyone observed taking photos in the area run the risk of drawing unwanted attention.....

15 hours ago, NBTA said:

No. And I hope you mean like 15 years down the line (for the bold line). It probably won’t be LFS diesels, probably hybrids or electrics, same with the xcelsior series.

No, I was speaking within the next 2-3 years, not from anything coming now. The BTE buses will be toast by 2024-25 if it even takes that long.

10 minutes ago, Mpn4179 said:

It’s nice seeing Nova LFS Hybrids and New Flyer XDE40’s on the M66 and M72. Since when did they run those hybrids on those lines?

IIRC the OG and NG hybrods couldn't run on those routes due to the clearance on the 65th Street Transverse right?

36 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

IIRC the OG and NG hybrods couldn't run on those routes due to the clearance on the 65th Street Transverse right?

If memory serve me right, the Orions can go through the transverse but they had to do it through the middle of the road. With the New Flyer hybrids, their height is about the same as the diesel units hence why those buses are now used on the M66/72.

44 minutes ago, Mpn4179 said:

It’s nice seeing Nova LFS Hybrids and New Flyer XDE40’s on the M66 and M72. Since when did they run those hybrids on those lines?

The Nova BUS LFS HEVs have been there since mid-March, so that's basically when they started running them on those routes.

The New Flyer XDE40s though, although they were at Quill by September of last year, it wasn't until February of this year when they became a normal sight. They would run on occasion, but it was still pretty rare to see them on either route until February. 

35 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

The side clearances on the sides yeah, although they can still fit in there as long as they're as close to the center of the roadway. 

There's been some NGs on the M66 and M72 (very rarely though), and they've started rerouting M31 and M57 buses via 65th Street on New Year's Eve back in 2019, instead of via 34th Street like they used to do. So it seems they're not as restrictive as they used to be (and with the NG Hybrids in Manhattan expected to be retired soon, it's not going to be much of a problem anymore). 

I've also seen Greyhound and Peter Pan MCIs take the 65th Street Transverse.

7 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The Nova BUS LFS HEVs have been there since mid-March, so that's basically when they started running them on those routes.

The New Flyer XDE40s though, although they were at Quill by September of last year, it wasn't until February of this year when they became a normal sight. They would run on occasion, but it was still pretty rare to see them on either route until February. 

The side clearances on the sides yeah, although they can still fit in there as long as they're as close to the center of the roadway. 

There's been some NGs on the M66 and M72 (very rarely though), and they've started rerouting M31 and M57 buses via 65th Street on New Year's Eve back in 2019, instead of via 34th Street like they used to do. So it seems they're not as restrictive as they used to be (and with the NG Hybrids in Manhattan expected to be retired soon, it's not going to be much of a problem anymore). 

I've also seen Greyhound and Peter Pan MCIs take the 65th Street Transverse.

Anyone actually recall the roof height of an Orion 7.501 hybrid (regardless of which version)?

5 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

The Orion VII Hybrids are 132" or 11'. 

The XDE40s are 130" or 10'10".

The LFS HEV are 131" or 10'11".

The XD40s are 126" or 10'6". 

Hmm, that's cutting it kinda close for the Orion hybrids. Surprised no accidents had occurred since the day the started running in mass back in early 2004 or so.

3 hours ago, Joel Powers said:

Hmm, that's cutting it kinda close for the Orion hybrids. Surprised no accidents had occurred since the day the started running in mass back in early 2004 or so.

The overpass signs with the height are not an absolute measurement, so there is some extra clearance going through. (Hence why the buses straddle the middle)

When I was training, my supt made us go through the traverse with the hybrid just to demonstrate that. 

On 4/14/2022 at 9:56 AM, SevenEleven said:

The overpass signs with the height are not an absolute measurement, so there is some extra clearance going through. (Hence why the buses straddle the middle)

When I was training, my supt made us go through the traverse with the hybrid just to demonstrate that. 

Here's something that's been bugging me, why don't MBSTOA buses actually say "MBSTOA" Instead of "MTA NYC Bus"?

On 4/12/2022 at 2:19 PM, Calvin said:

You mean Next Gen Hybrids? CS is getting their Nova batch to replace the Hybrid buses moving to MTA Bus. Jamaica, on the other hand, their XD-40s may be out of Brooklyn. 

Who thinks that the acloa hubcaps should make a come back on MTA buses? I think this new cuomo scheme was a missed opportunity to do so although they did teased it on a couple of demo buses.