BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's even more hilarious, because the ones on 34th Street for the M34 SBS also list the BMs that stop on 34th street. What a bunch of idiots.

Now in their defense, there could be a number of reasons for them not working. Sometimes they place these countdown clocks and bus shelters in areas where they can't get a source of electricity, and so they stay off/broken for months or years.  They will try to investigate alternative power methods, but if they can't figure out something, then unfortunately they remain as is.  They are also backlogged on a number of requests. Since they aren't pressing, I haven't bothered, but there are few more urgent issues that I spoke with someone the other day about the other day who was apologizing.

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/30/2021 at 8:54 PM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I drove along Richmond Terr today and guess what? S90 plaques are at every bus stop between South Ave and Park Ave (there  is a stop or two in a single direction missing the signs. 

As of January 3rd 2022, the S90 has officially been downgraded with an additional 11 stops in each direction. 

Literally when you try to solve an MTA issue, the MTA turns around and screws you over even more. 

On 11/22/2021 at 1:50 PM, SevenEleven said:

No no, it’s an error in the stop listing. The 90 stops at the ferry, Jersey, Lafayette, North Burgher, Park Avenue, Nicholas, Van Name/Simonson, Harbor, South and then all stops to Amazon. That’s how it’s always been. 

If someone wants to go to Morningstar, they’re going to be disappointed when the 90 goes right past the stop. It’s a setup for conflicts. 

Happy to announce that they fixed the S90 issues. BusTime is now updated with the correct stops. Lafayette Av in the ferry direction is missing but they'll probably fix that for the summer. They changed the Amazon stop from that random Franklin W. Gay/10th Av name to 5th St/Amazon Fulfillment Center. Also, when approaching the ferry (last stop), they announce which ramp the bus arrives at, "Next Stop....St George Ferry and Ramp D". They also show which ramp the first stop is located for each of the routes.

I drove the route just now, the S90 plaques are still across the local stops (and it was such a choppy rushed incomplete job from Jan 2022). Hopefully those are changed quickly...I wonder if drivers have been notified about the stops?? Are they still running only limited between Park Av and the ferry or are they now running limited between South Av and the ferry?

I wonder how long it would take to get all routes accurately up to date....a lot of issues throughout multiple routes haven't been updated in nearly a decade.

48 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Do the XDE40s at MTV get inspected/maintained at MTV? I have the same question for the Nova HEV at MJQ.. Or when they are due for inspection or road called they go to the depot these buses was originally assigned to?

I have to think at this point those buses are semi-permanently placed there, stickers and regular runs and all. Sort of like the BT&E buses before they got organized by depot.

2 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Do the XDE40s at MTV get inspected/maintained at MTV? I have the same question for the Nova HEV at MJQ.. Or when they are due for inspection or road called they go to the depot these buses was originally assigned to?

To my knowledge they're being maintained at their respective depots so that all staff (drivers, mechanics, etc, etc) have experience on both types for snow loans in the future.

That being said, I'm a little surprised that Hale and Tuskegee aren't also a part of it.

fyi:

Planned work: Apr 2 - 3, Sat 6:00 AM to Sun 8:00 PM
BxM1 and BxM2 buses will be detoured in both directions between Henry Hudson Pkwy West at W 232nd St to Riverdale Ave at W 230th St

Buses will make stops in both directions along Riverdale Ave from W 238th St to W 230th St.

Northbound missed stops:

Riverdale Ave at Johnson Ave
Kappock St at Johnson Ave and Knolls Crescent
Along Henry Hudson Pkwy West from W 227th St to W 235th St

Southbound missed stops:

Along Henry Hudson Pkwy West from W 232nd St to Independence Ave
Kappock St at Knolls Crescent and Johnson Ave
Irwin Ave at Johnson Ave

2 hours ago, paulrivera said:

fyi:

Planned work: Apr 2 - 3, Sat 6:00 AM to Sun 8:00 PM
BxM1 and BxM2 buses will be detoured in both directions between Henry Hudson Pkwy West at W 232nd St to Riverdale Ave at W 230th St

Buses will make stops in both directions along Riverdale Ave from W 238th St to W 230th St.

Northbound missed stops:

Riverdale Ave at Johnson Ave
Kappock St at Johnson Ave and Knolls Crescent
Along Henry Hudson Pkwy West from W 227th St to W 235th St

Southbound missed stops:

Along Henry Hudson Pkwy West from W 232nd St to Independence Ave
Kappock St at Knolls Crescent and Johnson Ave
Irwin Ave at Johnson Ave

I wonder what work this is. I'll have to inquire. We just had a meeting here on Thursday and we were giving an earful to the Bronx DOT Commissioner about the lack of milling and paving. Henry Hudson Parkway West was recently paved, as was Henry Hudson Parkway East, but the eastern side was not done well. Somehow I doubt they're fixing that right now. 

Actually, that's probably what it is. I had requested paving from Kappock and HHP up to W 239th and they did such a sloppy job that they need to re-do it. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

12 hours ago, NBTA said:

6024s rear axles are very..very shot.

CS’s XD60s are definitely showing their age now. One of the units I believe 6014 makes a weird shushing noise while idling. These units get worked to death on the Q44, it was smart to have some non SBS 2017 XD60s head to CS so they can be used both on the Q12 and Q44. 

9 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

CS’s XD60s are definitely showing their age now. One of the units I believe 6014 makes a weird shushing noise while idling. These units get worked to death on the Q44, it was smart to have some non SBS 2017 XD60s head to CS so they can be used both on the Q12 and Q44. 

That's also the case with the XD-60s out of Quill, Hale and Flatbush. They each have units that's 2016-17 (no screens) and 2019 to avoid the heavy usage on miles. 

Edited by Calvin

10 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Ever since last year, they’ve been very age showey, and broken up.

5 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Ever since last year, they’ve been very age showey, and broken up.

Since CS is getting LFS, they need to swap some 55xx LFSA from MJQ with CS overworked XD60s. Them LFSAs were doing great at CS. I love the XD60s but 5894-5934 were the business when they were at CS.

2 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Since CS is getting LFS, they need to swap some 55xx LFSA from MJQ with CS overworked XD60s. Them LFSAs were doing great at CS. I love the XD60s but 5894-5934 were the business when they were at CS.

No they weren't...those LFSAs were beat to death at CS. The only good ones that they had were the handful of 5700s and 5800s they got elsewhere. All of those 5900s rode like garbage.

Edited by Cait Sith

21 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

No they weren't...those LFSAs were beat to death at CS. The only good ones that they had were the handful of 5700s and 5800s they got elsewhere. All of those 5900s rode like garbage.

I think they have a few 5200s out of there. One of them wasn't bad when going thru the Whitestone Bridge way back. 

46 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

But they sounded very good, LMAOO. :D 5266 and 5909, mann!

Anyways, listen to this XD60...Casey Stengel buses are known for some crazy sound effects. That Q44 is something different yoo!

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

6 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Anyways, listen to this XD60...Casey Stengel buses are known for some crazy sound effects. That Q44 is something different yoo!

That’s the exact bus I was talking about, it sounds even worse now.

On 4/3/2022 at 12:52 AM, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Eh, that's just the axles. That was bound to happen over time.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Eh, that's just the axles. That was bound to happen over time.

Axles? Why does it only make that sound upon acceleration? Whats causing that sound? Something grinding or something not aligned?

5 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

Did the MTA ever loan buses to the WMATA? In the description of this video it says that bus 2656 (Castleton X3-45) was seen on a subway shuttle for the dc metro back in 2017. Didn’t find any pictures or videos of it though.

That video description said "I enjoyed this bus as this was only my second time riding the X3-45 (and first time with Greyhound, I previously rode an MTA NYCTA unit back in Summer 2017 (#2656)".

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888