• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

On one of the new Novas seen on the Q46, 8842: The rear of the bus has the route left aligned instead of centered. Not a big issue. IMO, it's amazing to see that Queens Village has all 4 series of the NovaBus LFS. 

* Pretty soon, my guess to if Jamaica Depot gets the total units to what they have from the XD-40s. They maybe bound to Brooklyn except Gleason for Next Gen deployment. 

Credit: Kingsbridgeviewer382

Edited by Calvin

11 hours ago, Calvin said:

On one of the new Novas seen on the Q46, 8842: The rear of the bus has the route left aligned instead of centered. Not a big issue. IMO, it's amazing to see that Queens Village has all 4 series of the NovaBus LFS. 

* Pretty soon, my guess to if Jamaica Depot gets the total units to what they have from the XD-40s. They maybe bound to Brooklyn except Gleason for Next Gen deployment. 

Credit: Kingsbridgeviewer382

I have high hopes for these new LFSes, they sound nice, they’re top heavy but ride smooth too.

Just my own curiosity; back in the '80s and '90s, did the MTA ever consider ordering GMC/MCI Classics?

I'm guessing no, on account that the feds were initially pushing the RTS and the Grumman-Flxible to most transit agencies as a condition of federal funding.

Still, would have been nice to see the Classics in NYCT and MaBSTOA service.  Personally, I always thought the RTSes looked too future-dystopian; preferred the Orion V by a long shot. 

15 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

Just my own curiosity; back in the '80s and '90s, did the MTA ever consider ordering GMC/MCI Classics?

I'm guessing no, on account that the feds were initially pushing the RTS and the Grumman-Flxible to most transit agencies as a condition of federal funding.

Still, would have been nice to see the Classics in NYCT and MaBSTOA service.  Personally, I always thought the RTSes looked too future-dystopian; preferred the Orion V by a long shot. 

The Classics were always my favorite to ride on the PBL EXP lines. I think the ride was better than the current MCIs and Prevosts

2 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

The Classics were always my favorite to ride on the PBL EXP lines. I think the ride was better than the current MCIs and Prevosts

You don't like current MCIs? I actually don't mind them at all. The MCIs before the current ones were a mess. Seat reclining was all over the place. On Staten Island, you could recline on some express buses so far back that it was like you were in bed. lol

7 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

Saw an FP 77xx XD40 working across West Houston late last night, like 11 or so. Quill-bound? Some shuttle? Too late for training, confused me.

It may have been headed uptown to 96th Street. The (2) is out every night this week between 96th Street and Grand Concourse - 149th Street (and the (3) is suspended). I saw two C40LFs from JG the other day at Columbus Circle headed together uptown for that reason. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

19 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You don't like current MCIs? I actually don't mind them at all. The MCIs before the current ones were a mess. Seat reclining was all over the place. On Staten Island, you could recline on some express buses so far back that it was like you were in bed. lol

HA! Don;t get me wrong, I really like the current MCIs, I just liked the classics because, if I remember correctly, it wasn't quite a high to step onto the bus since it didn't have the luggage compartments (which are such a waste of space). I can't actually remember if they had personal reading lamps like the new MCIs. I also liked the seats they had on the QUeens Surface Classics

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

HA! Don;t get me wrong, I really like the current MCIs, I just liked the classics because, if I remember correctly, it wasn't quite a high to step onto the bus since it didn't have the luggage compartments (which are such a waste of space). I can't actually remember if they had personal reading lamps like the new MCIs. I also liked the seats they had on the QUeens Surface Classics

Speaking of buses, the other day, I get on the express bus, take a seat in one of the wheelchair aisles and for some reason, this elderly lady saw me and asked me if I had inquired about the seats on the new express buses. She said they were horrible (meaning the lack of leg room)  and I told her that yes, I had spoken with them about it and that they were re-configuring the express buses. She goes "Thank goodness because I was thinking a guy with your height must have issues with those new ones". lol

7 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Speaking of buses, the other day, I get on the express bus, take a seat in one of the wheelchair aisles and for some reason, this elderly lady saw me and asked me if I had inquired about the seats on the new express buses. She said they were horrible (meaning the lack of leg room)  and I told her that yes, I had spoken with them about it and that they were re-configuring the express buses. She goes "Thank goodness because I was thinking a guy with your height must have issues with those new ones". lol

That's so funny!

Meanwhile, I've noticed that all of those freestanding bus clocks on First Ave in the city for the M15 and M15 SBS have all been stuck on the same screen since the clock change. It's so ridiculous because it tricks you into thinking it is accurate until you realize it never changes. Last time I tried to report a broken one, DOT said it was MTA's responsibility and MTA said it was DOT.

1 hour ago, MTAbus677 said:

What are your guys recommendations for bus exploring as of now?

Get your final rides/pics/vids on the OG hybrids while they are still easy to find. 

All the new buses coming in will be here for the next 15 years or so, plenty of time to ride them.

13 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

That's so funny!

Meanwhile, I've noticed that all of those freestanding bus clocks on First Ave in the city for the M15 and M15 SBS have all been stuck on the same screen since the clock change. It's so ridiculous because it tricks you into thinking it is accurate until you realize it never changes. Last time I tried to report a broken one, DOT said it was MTA's responsibility and MTA said it was DOT.

You mean the SBS countdown clocks?  Bus stop countdown clocks (both the lollipop and the SBS style ones) are under the purview of the DOT. The (MTA) doesn't handle them. Same story with any bus stop signage, with the exception of the actual timetables which used to hold the bus schedules. Any information in those is changed out by (MTA) employees.  Bus shelter is also under the purview of the DOT.  If you want them fixed, I can look into them, but I need photos so I can follow out w/my contact at the DOT.  They are behind in just about everything, though they did do a bus stop for me recently.  Priority-wise, countdown clocks they get to whenever they can. Many of them are broken. I asked about them and that was the response from reps at a meeting.

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

You mean the SBS countdown clocks?  Bus stop countdown clocks (both the lollipop and the SBS style ones) are under the purview of the DOT. The (MTA) doesn't handle them. Same story with any bus stop signage, with the exception of the actual timetables which used to hold the bus schedules. Any information in those is changed out by (MTA) employees.  Bus shelter is also under the purview of the DOT.  If you want them fixed, I can look into them, but I need photos so I can follow out w/my contact at the DOT.  They are behind in just about everything, though they did do a bus stop for me recently.  Priority-wise, countdown clocks they get to whenever they can. Many of them are broken. I asked about them and that was the response from reps at a meeting.

Yup, that's exactly what I mean., the SBS countdown clock. That's funny, last time DOT told me it's not their purview LOL. I'll get you some photos, but yeah, I figured those countdown clocks are low on the totem pole.

1 hour ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Yup, that's exactly what I mean., the SBS countdown clock. That's funny, last time DOT told me it's not their purview LOL. I'll get you some photos, but yeah, I figured those countdown clocks are low on the totem pole.

Unless something has changed, it is definitely under their purview. We had a discussion about them because I asked two of the reps. if we could have something like those for express buses, and they said "Oh those are only for the SBS brand", and they definitely oversee them being maintained, even if the actual work is contracted out.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The MTA website has provided the new schedules effective Sunday, March 27th:

B6

B15

B16

B44-SBS

B49

Bx11

Bx19

Bx36

Q3

Q5

Q10

Q22

Q85

Q111

S40/S90

There is a discussion board for the B15/Q3/Q10 service and route changes that has been up for a while.

21 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Unless something has changed, it is definitely under their purview. We had a discussion about them because I asked two of the reps. if we could have something like those for express buses, and they said "Oh those are only for the SBS brand", and they definitely oversee them being maintained, even if the actual work is contracted out.

That's even more hilarious, because the ones on 34th Street for the M34 SBS also list the BMs that stop on 34th street. What a bunch of idiots.

Edited by QM1to6Ave