BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

53 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yonkers Depot has been dealing with driver shortages off and on, but today is definitely weather related. It can be hard to reach the depot given where some guys live. Some drivers live out on Staten Island. In any event, people shouldn't be out in this mess unless necessary.

With all the hills in Yonkers and how slippery the roads are I don't blame them.

15 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Didn't expect Quill to get SI LFSes for a weekend snowstorm. Surprising.

(MTA) banned artics from running in winter storms some time ago, and the M23, M34, etc. need to make some kind of service somehow...

Edited by paulrivera

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

With all the hills in Yonkers and how slippery the roads are I don't blame them.

I believe most drive to work, but quite a few don't, so with the depot being where it is, they can't always get there. I know some even live in Connecticut. There was an older lady that used to stay in NYC during the week just for the job, then go back to the Poconos on weekends. I saw one guy at my stop one morning. I said what are you doing up here? LOL He was coming from the dentist and took the bus from his area of the Bronx. Norwood or something I forget which, but yeah, it was funny because he wasn't driving.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

35 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

(MTA) banned artics from running in winter storms some time ago, and the M23, M34, etc. need to make some kind of service somehow...

True, but that's historically been an issue on weekdays only. They can usually make service within the boroughs with Manhattan division alone, sometimes BK division for Tuskegee.

57 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Didn't expect Quill to get SI LFSes for a weekend snowstorm. Surprising.

I think Staten Island moved some LFS units over to Manhattan post PM rush hour to be prepared in case the snowfall is heavy (started around midnight). The loans may be up to Tuesday with school being out for the lunar new year. 

Edited by Calvin

44 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I believe most drive to work, but quite a few don't, so with the depot being where it is, they can't always get there. I know some even live in Connecticut. There was an older lady that used to stay in NYC during the week just for the job, then go back to the Poconos on weekends. I saw one guy at my stop one morning. I said what are you doing up here? LOL He was coming from the dentist and took the bus from his area of the Bronx. Norwood or something I forget which, but yeah, it was funny because he wasn't driving.

Oh yeah true, good point. Anyone who uses the transit system to get to Yonkers didn't even have a system to use because there were no Bee-Line buses running.

1 hour ago, mine248 said:

Not too sure if this is just a deadhead or a move to Brooklyn, but I saw a XDE40 on FDR Drive. Came in at around 23rd St and was headed towards exit 1

The M9s deadhead from end to end using the FDR. The north terminal is at 23rd and 1st while the south end is at Battery Park City.

7 hours ago, NBTA said:

So 4898 was on the X38……

Its currently on Crospey Avenue.

I think that was just a short sign display for giggles. At that time, bus ops make a switch if it's near the depot itself. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, 1998NewFlyer said:

I herd talks of another CNG order for 368 buses is this true?

Right now, no.

100 Electric Artics, 375 40ft Electrics, 713 Standards(likely diesel) and 115 express buses are planned on the NYCT side.

Edited by Cait Sith

I believe SC and CP already have block heater cords for their buses so they start easier in cold weather, so refitting these depots to electric operation should be easy considering how those depots are setup. 

TA should never buy CNG buses ever again, send all electric buses to CNG depots. I like CNG buses as a buff but you can only swap them between four depots not to mention the time limit on the tanks, etc. Electrics will make things easier in that regard.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

I believe SC and CP already have block heater cords for their buses so they start easier in cold weather, so refitting these depots to electric operation should be easy considering how those depots are setup. 

TA should never buy CNG buses ever again, send all electric buses to CNG depots. I like CNG buses as a buff but you can only swap them between four depots not to mention the time limit on the tanks, etc. Electrics will make things easier in that regard.

Electric buses still haven't proven themselves for cold temperature operation, though. The technology is getting there by the year but the CNG fleet was a pretty substantial investment for the MTA and at least those buses have the range for the interim. Maybe one more order of CNGs before it's wrapped up.