BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, Melbx15 said:

We have to start using our brains people the M125 is not part of the Manhattan Division just like the M100 it’s part of the BRONX division hints why it’s part of the BRONX redesign therefore it will not be based out off Manhattanville (it can’t even handle Artic operations yet) , MCH, 100st or MJQ. It will be based out of a BRONX DIVISION DEPOT that can handle ARTICULATED OPERATIONS most likely West Farms because it’s closer to 149st than KB or GH. The bx17, 21, 32 & 33 all deadhead back to WF from pt Morris/Mott Heaven with ease i don’t see why the M125 can’t do the same from 149 let’s not forget that the bx15 does have some trips that begin at 3ave - 149st to 125st in the early mornings 

At least use proper grammar and punctuation in your post if you are going to insult people...

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Spring Creek was placed in the Queens Division in 2015...

I still wonder what people were smoking in order to think that was a good idea, considering that the depot has just about no work in Queens beyond a single route and is physically in Brooklyn.

32 minutes ago, Lex said:

I still wonder what people were smoking in order to think that was a good idea, considering that the depot has just about no work in Queens beyond a single route and is physically in Brooklyn.

Me too.  It's the folks at 2 Broadway that makes the stupid decisions IMO, and this decision to have SC in the Queens Division makes no sense.

No single route that SC covers enter the vicinity of Queens. Even with the BM5 which starts in Starrett City/Canarsie goes thru Woodhaven Blvd to enter Midtown.

6 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Me too.  It's the folks at 2 Broadway that makes the stupid decisions IMO, and this decision to have SC in the Queens Division makes no sense.

No single route that SC covers enter the vicinity of Queens. Even with the BM5 which starts in Starrett City/Canarsie goes thru Woodhaven Blvd to enter Midtown.

I forget the reason for it, but it's not just because.

2 hours ago, Transit Enthusiast said:

EXACTLY! Routes like the Q24, Q54, Q55, Q56, Q58 and Q59 are Queens Routes, but based out of Brooklyn Division Depots (East New York, Fresh Pond and Grand Avenue). The B100 and B103 are technically Queens Division routes, because Spring Creek is part of MTA Bus Company, which is based from.......... Queens.

The M1 and M7 (and M18 before it was discontinued in the same year the Depot closed) operated out of Amsterdam Depot, which even though it's located in Manhattan, was a Bronx Division Depot. Same goes for Kingsbridge. Located in Northwestern Manhattan (northern Inwood, at the foot of the Broadway Bridge), but a Bronx Division Depot.

If I recall, the only reason that became the case is because Spring Creek is now a TWU Depot. I think that's what also prompted them to become a Queens Division Depot.

Man, the B/O Covid shortages hit CP hard today. So many missing runs. It’s good that traffic was light and lots of people were still home, so the buses were not overloaded 

I also had a BO on the M103, which I rarely take because it sucks so much, who dragged the line so badly I nearly screamed. He sat at every single green light for 2 cycles, would randomly pull over for 30 second periods, Ugg. I wish they had a sign saying “this bus will be dragging a** on this run”. I don’t see how it’s even safe to sit at green lights like that. 

32 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

to my understanding, Spring Creek is still under ATU 1181. I could be wrong, but I'd love to get verification one way or the other. 

I think you're right.

I really thought the vote and the paperwork they filed went through. I wonder what happened...

5 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Man, the B/O Covid shortages hit CP hard today. So many missing runs. It’s good that traffic was light and lots of people were still home, so the buses were not overloaded 

I also had a BO on the M103, which I rarely take because it sucks so much, who dragged the line so badly I nearly screamed. He sat at every single green light for 2 cycles, would randomly pull over for 30 second periods, Ugg. I wish they had a sign saying “this bus will be dragging a** on this run”. I don’t see how it’s even safe to sit at green lights like that. 

Check your DM...

48 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I would've reported that driver. That draggin shit is not funny and its disrespectful to every car on the road. To sit at GREEN light cycles because you're early or tryna blow a trip, and screw over other buses, is just wrong. And then you have drivers that would pull out a stop quickly when they see you coming, only to accelerate slowly up to 15mph. I used to see it on the B1 and B64 ALL THE TIME. 

Then those drivers are also screwing over traffic by dragging along the road. It's very selfish and I hate it. If you're early, pull over to a damnn stop, put ya hazards on, and make an announcement to the passengers letting them know that we'll be sitting here for 5mins to stay on schedule. So easy and simple.

Out of all the buses I've been on, only ONE driver did that. It was the S93, the driver said "excuse me everyone, this bus is ahead of schedule, I will be sitting at this stop for about 3-4mins, sorry for any inconvenience". Everyone was cool and patient, then when we left, we were moving! 

There's always a few that do their job thinking about the next person, others are just self entitled. 

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

I think you're right.

I really thought the vote and the paperwork they filed went through. I wonder what happened...

i read in the Chief newspaper that the decertification vote was close, like barely half of the membership was in favor of leaving 1181, however recently I've received info that the part timers in SC are usually offered full-time positions at ATU 1179 (JFK/FR) and in some cases SC, after a period of 3-12 months... NO MENTION of full time offers to TWU yards (LG, BP, etc.) so that alone led me to believe that SOMETHING happened to prevent TWU from representing those employees (I'm of the personal belief that management doesn't want TWU at SC, but it's a lengthy theory i have)

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

I would've reported that driver. That draggin shit is not funny and its disrespectful to every car on the road. To sit at GREEN light cycles because you're early or tryna blow a trip, and screw over other buses, is just wrong. And then you have drivers that would pull out a stop quickly when they see you coming, only to accelerate slowly up to 15mph. I used to see it on the B1 and B64 ALL THE TIME. 

Then those drivers are also screwing over traffic by dragging along the road. It's very selfish and I hate it. If you're early, pull over to a damnn stop, put ya hazards on, and make an announcement to the passengers letting them know that we'll be sitting here for 5mins to stay on schedule. So easy and simple.

Out of all the buses I've been on, only ONE driver did that. It was the S93, the driver said "excuse me everyone, this bus is ahead of schedule, I will be sitting at this stop for about 3-4mins, sorry for any inconvenience". Everyone was cool and patient, then when we left, we were moving! 

There's always a few that do their job thinking about the next person, others are just self entitled. 

Now hold on, don't be blaming the driver. The 103 has a lot of runtime built in and because traffic isn't back yet it's easy to be running 15 minutes early. And if you do that, that's a writeup.

51 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Most Ulmer Park drivers do that all the time.. I've seen it in the past on the B6 particularly late night when leaving New Lots station. Some drivers get ahead of schedule and sit at Rockaway Parkway for a while and don't say anything to the passengers..

38 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Now hold on, don't be blaming the driver. The 103 has a lot of runtime built in and because traffic isn't back yet it's easy to be running 15 minutes early. And if you do that, that's a writeup.

@XcelsiorBoii4888's point is not that the the B/O should run hot, rather that it is more courteous to announce to the pax that you are early and will be parked for X minutes, and give folks a chance to get off the bus. I would have gotten off and transferred to the M101 right behind him if I had known this nonsense was going to happen, and I would not have missed the connection I planned to make. 

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

21 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

@XcelsiorBoii4888's point is not that the the B/O should run hot, rather that it is more courteous to announce to the pax that you are early and will be parked for X minutes, and give folks a chance to get off the bus. I would have gotten off and transferred to the M101 right behind him if I had known this nonsense was going to happen, and I would not have missed the connection I planned to make. 

My point was highlighting that their should be only ONE solution to running hot, and that's standing at stops. Draggin down a street at 10-15mph when there's no traffic or sitting a green light is wrong, and should not be allowed. Those are traffic violations. 

Yeah it would be nice B/Os would communicate with their passengers, although it's not required. Communication goes a long way and can reduce unnecessary confrontations and I look at it as an extra level of professionalism. MTA does hire anyone at the end of the day so expectations are low. 

15 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

MTA telling employees that if you test positive for COVID and have no symptoms, you have to come to work anyway, wow!

That's the direction most essential businesses are going right now...it's spreading so quickly, and testing is so difficult to get now, that things are moving towards a symptom-based model, namely "if you are asymptomatic, wear a mask and come to work anyway"

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Definitely. I saw this on Apple Maps this morning saying at 8:12 AM, both the Q25 and Q65 were suspended due to operator shortages. Don’t know how long that lasted though since buses were running in the afternoon at least on the Q65 that I saw.

And that’s also typical with Q65 drivers heading from Union Tpke towards Jewel Ave. Stopping at green lights with 10 seconds left and going so slow that what is typically a four minute ride takes a little more than 10 minutes. Then to sit at Jewel for 5-8 minutes with no announcement or anything.