BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I don't recall such a huge fit when all the NG's at Kingsbridge had the lettering on their corporate logo peeled off a few years ago. Maybe it's a bigger issue in Manhattan than in the Bronx because Manhattan's where all the bigwigs can see the buses themselves. With the (MTA) it's not so much "what's going on", it's more of "who catches it", if you will.

Around the same time, somebody kept pulling the (MTA) logos off the old cars on the (J)(Z) (R42s) to expose the old (NYCT) decals underneath.  Must've been somebody real dedicated too, cause at one point well over a majority of the old J/Z fleet in 2011-13 was rolling around with the old decals.  Some dudes still be living in 1988 LMAO... 

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Regarding the XE40's, why didn't (MTA) just buy them outright from New Flyer? Makes no sense to lease a bus for 3 years and send them back just to buy them again.

They were demonstrators to collect data on and experiment with electric buses, same with the Proterras which will return too at some point.

14 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

....I wouldn't say all of that now lol.

Seriously, the B103 immediately comes to mind.

While rattling can be influenced by the build quality, it's far from the only thing. Even buses of the highest quality will rattle on raggedy-ass streets, especially after several years running on them. (For all the praise Nova gets about how solid the buses are, how many haven't experienced rattling in 5 years because of these streets?)

December 31st, Friday will the last day the SIM23 and 24 will be out of Academy. During that day, you may experience either reroutes or long waits b/c of the ball drop that'll happen at the Times Square. January 3rd, 2022 on Monday will be the first day the SIM23 with the 24 to be out of Charleston. Additional buses were provided by MTA Bus. 

Edited by Calvin

10 minutes ago, Calvin said:

December 31st, Friday will the last day the SIM23 and 24 will be out of Academy. During that day, you may experience either reroutes or long waits b/c of the ball drop that'll happen at the Times Square. January 3rd, 2022 on Monday will be the first day the SIM23 with the 24 to be out of Charleston. Additional buses were provided by MTA Bus. 

Wait, I thought NYCT couldn't use MTA Buses, but MTA Bus can use NYCT buses?

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Wait, I thought NYCT couldn't use MTA Buses, but MTA Bus can use NYCT buses?

Reference from the moderator: 

"They were not paid for with federal funds, so they are able to swap between the two without issue." 

The D4500 CLs were not part of the funding.  

Edited by Calvin

31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Reference from the moderator: 

"They were not paid for with federal funds, so they are able to swap between the two without issue." 

The D4500 CLs were not part of the funding.  

31 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

As I've said in another thread or two, those MCIs were not federally funded, so those can go between the two with no problem.

Thanks, I didn't see your reply earlier.

But that does bring me to my next question, why is it that when an NYCT Bus breaks down, an MTA Bus mechanic/tow can't touch it, but if it's leased to MTA Bus, they can?

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Thanks, I didn't see your reply earlier.

But that does bring me to my next question, why is it that when an NYCT Bus breaks down, an MTA Bus mechanic/tow can't touch it, but if it's leased to MTA Bus, they can?

(MTA) Bus is and NYCT are two different divisions, with different contractual agreements, among other things, such as different unions. For starters, at least last I was aware, compensation for (MTA) Bus vs NYCT workers was not the same. I'm sure there are other differences, but just some examples.

I know of a few (MTA) Bus workers that went over to NYCT precisely for higher pay, etc., albeit years ago.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

20 minutes ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

I just saw a SIM25 on the FDR Drive #2789 broke down on the side of the highway I don’t know what happened tho. Passengers were evacuated on the side of the highway and the Bus Driver seemed to be searching for something

That's strange since the SIM25 travels via NJ.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Might have seen a deadhead, either that or it was at that part of the FDR where buses can park.

4 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

Might have seen a deadhead, either that or it was at that part of the FDR where buses can park.

Since the OP said passengers were evacuated, supposedly the bus was in service. What's strange to me is I didn't hear of any other SIM25s or via NJ SIMs being diverted, but yes, it's possible, though the frequency of it happening is not very high from personal experience. A few days ago, a SIM22 had to be diverted via Brooklyn because of a road closure in NJ. They actually were in NJ already and went back into Manhattan.

I usually don't communicate with Staten Island dispatch (I have a contact, but I only ask for things on occasion since the person I work with on Staten Island is already in contact with them daily), but I did the other day since a passenger asked me directly because of a driver going the wrong way on the SIM3. Lots of new drivers lately and lots of complaints about skipped stops and wrong stops being made. Lots of broken down buses lately too. Those Prevosts on the island are in rough shape.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

Express Bus Service seems to be decreasing slowly but steady. I wonder why they have a very little amount of 2015 Prevost X3-45. There's a bunch of 2004-2007 MCI D4500CL that just stay in Castleton, Eastchester, and Yonkers depots. 

Not sure what you're talking about. Express bus service has been the same for the last few years.

4 hours ago, Michael J Q Last Bus said:

Express Bus Service seems to be decreasing slowly but steady. I wonder why they have a very little amount of 2015 Prevost X3-45. There's a bunch of 2004-2007 MCI D4500CL that just stay in Castleton, Eastchester, and Yonkers depots. 

In response to your second point, the 04-07 MCIs weren't scheduled to be retired when the 2015 prevosts came in. 

14 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Since the OP said passengers were evacuated, supposedly the bus was in service. What's strange to me is I didn't hear of any other SIM25s or via NJ SIMs being diverted, but yes, it's possible, though the frequency of it happening is not very high from personal experience. A few days ago, a SIM22 had to be diverted via Brooklyn because of a road closure in NJ. They actually were in NJ already and went back into Manhattan.

I usually don't communicate with Staten Island dispatch (I have a contact, but I only ask for things on occasion since the person I work with on Staten Island is already in contact with them daily), but I did the other day since a passenger asked me directly because of a driver going the wrong way on the SIM3. Lots of new drivers lately and lots of complaints about skipped stops and wrong stops being made. Lots of broken down buses lately too. Those Prevosts on the island are in rough shape.

Just about every other bus I get on now has a new b/o in training (local and express) so I guess those training classes are finally picking up. I had a lovely new B/O tonight who missed my stop by a block and was so apologetic. I just laughed and said “Don’t worry about it, not a big deal”. Another guy in training missed the lane shift to get onto queens boulevard from union tpke  and instead had to take the van wyck, which actually saved time lol. His trainer was sooo pissed at him. 

1 minute ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Just about every other bus I get on now has a new b/o in training (local and express) so I guess those training classes are finally picking up. I had a lovely new B/O tonight who missed my stop by a block and was so apologetic. I just laughed and said “Don’t worry about it, not a big deal”. Another guy in training missed the lane shift to get onto queens boulevard from union tpke  and instead had to take the van wyck, which actually saved time lol. His trainer was sooo pissed at him. 

Yes, there are a lot. lol I was tempted to ask my contact today about it when he called me, but the call was not planned, so we talked very briefly and I got off. I did however inquire about those damn seats on the new express buses. I'm still fielding a ton of complaints. I'm dealing with the (MTA) heads on this and I'm trying to get more info about the legroom (as in what can we expect if and when modifications are made and when) and what can be done about these horrendous seats. Everyone is complaining about their backs killing them when they get off the bus. 

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yes, there are a lot. lol I was tempted to ask my contact today about it when he called me, but the call was not planned, so we talked very briefly and I got off. I did however inquire about those damn seats on the new express buses. I'm still fielding a ton of complaints. I'm dealing with the (MTA) heads on this and I'm trying to get more info about the legroom (as in what can we expect if and when modifications are made and when) and what can be done about these horrendous seats. Everyone is complaining about their backs killing them when they get off the bus. 

What did they do, install modified gaming chairs? *shot*

If they do modify those seats, well, I hope there won't be too many issues with the rest of the fleet while swapping the seats. That's the last thing anyone needs.

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

What did they do, install modified gaming chairs? *shot*

If they do modify those seats, well, I hope there won't be too many issues with the rest of the fleet while swapping the seats. That's the last thing anyone needs.

They're just lower to the floor and the backs are lower, in addition to very little recline. That's what I get. For some people, the seatbelts dig into their backs. I'm on the express bus now on one of the old buses... On the new ones, I can barely squeeze in the row. It's crazy. Even the wheelchair rows have far less room. I asked them when I wrote today if the new Prevosts are shorter in length or what. It just doesn't make any sense to me to lose so much room.

266349880_10223779113078245_118172896418