BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, RandomUserHere said:

I take the X10.

Make that the SIM3, 3C, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 33C, the express bus system in SI was redesigned under Byford's watch. As far as the wait goes, its normally about half an hour for the express bus - so they operate on a timetable that they are supposed to follow.

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

If you're travelling off peak, the X10 was replaced by the SIM3C, it runs every 30 minutes off peak on weekdays. 

Link to schedule: https://new.mta.info/document/14036

21 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

Make that the SIM3, 3C, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 33C, the express bus system in SI was redesigned under Byford's watch. As far as the wait goes, its normally about half an hour for the express bus - so they operate on a timetable that they are supposed to follow.

Quick correction to my post, weekdays it's usually every 30 min, weekend every hour.

I haven't rode the SIMs like that since the early summer and was so used to the pandemic schedule back then I forgot about the more frequent service.

3 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Quick correction to my post, weekdays it's usually every 30 min, weekend every hour.

I haven't rode the SIMs like that since the early summer and was so used to the pandemic schedule back then I forgot about the more frequent service.

Yeah, it may be the SIMs now, but the schedules actually have not changed much going back to when I lived on Staten Island. The times and frequencies for the SIM33C are almost identical to the X10 on weekends, which at the most is about every 20 minutes at times or every thirty minutes to an hour at other times. They basically just copied and pasted parts of the old X10 schedule. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

7 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Yeah, it may be the SIMs now, but the schedules actually have not changed much going back to when I lived on Staten Island. The times and frequencies for the SIM33C are almost identical to the X10 on weekends, which at the most is about every 20 minutes at times or every thirty minutes to an hour at other times. They basically just copied and pasted parts of the old X10 schedule. 

Yeah looking back again overall off-peak operates approximately every 20/30 min to an hour no matter the day. Again the pandemic schedule is implanted in my head for some reason. Plus I just began riding express routes regularly so I can't exactly say I know everything by heart just yet.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

7 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Yeah looking back again overall off-peak operates approximately every 20/30 min to an hour no matter the day. Again the pandemic schedule is implanted in my head for some reason. Plus I just began riding express routes regularly so I can't exactly say I know everything by heart just yet.

Oh I see. That makes sense. Been riding for over 15 years, and the X10, X12, X17 and X1 were my lines when I didn't use my home lines (X13, X14, X16 and X30). I actually remember when the X1 was either every 20-30 minutes on weekends. Aside from the 24/7 service on the X1, they have added a TON of weekend service on that line. The only thing they haven't done yet which is shocking is add more off-peak weekday service from Eltingville to Midtown. Hourly service from I believe 5pm on was bad when I lived on the island, and with the population growth, I am sure some buses are standing room only (for sure pre-pandemic). Even the 10:00, 10:30 and 11:00 X1 buses I have used get pretty crowded going to the City.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, RandomUserHere said:

Hey, how long does it take to wait for a bus in Staten Island?

You're on the wrong forum; we don't discuss short bus arrivals, departures, or frequencies on here....

I take the X10.

No you don't.

I see, what replaced the X10?

Oy vey....

Imagine someone coming onto an internet forum telling people that they take a bus route that they didn't even know was replaced.

For those curious, there aren't any out of borough snow loans out today. Both Quill and Tuskegee are borrowing buses from Manhattanville, but that's about it. The rest of the articulated routes are using standard units from their base bus depots. Sunday service did free up many buses, hence the lack of loans like last week.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Seems like 4952 has been missing since December, I wonder if it got sent back to New Flyer. IIRC wasn't 4952 one of the XE60's that kept running out of charge on the M60-SBS?

I think 4950 was the one that had luggage racks and ran on the M60-SBS.

Also, while we're on the topic, does anyone know when the last time 9504 ran?

6 hours ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

For those curious, there aren't any out of borough snow loans out today. Both Quill and Tuskegee are borrowing buses from Manhattanville, but that's about it. The rest of the articulated routes are using standard units from their base bus depots. Sunday service did free up many buses, hence the lack of loans like last week.

Quill using in house NG's for SBS service (PM). It appears that Quill sent back their loaned buses.

MCH sent buses to TU. Those are in service on M15SBS.

MHV sent buses to TU. Those buses are on the M101, M102, M103.

GA & FB using XD40's/NG's in house on artic routes today.

Edited by Future ENY OP

1 hour ago, Future ENY OP said:

Quill using in house NG's for SBS service (PM). It appears that Quill sent back their loaned buses.

MCH sent buses to TU. Those are in service on M15SBS.

MHV sent buses to TU. Those buses are on the M101, M102, M103.

GA & FB using XD40's/NG's in house on artic routes today.

The M15-SBS is at Hale. The local version is out of TU where the 101, 102 and 103 operates. 

31 minutes ago, NBTA said:

Is the speed limit on snow-chained buses 20MPH?

I believe some drivers have said 20 MPH. However, anything over 20/25MPH poses hazards. Gotta remember once roads hit blacktop it’s extremely important to maintain safe speed so that chains don’t snap.  @SevenEleven, @EastFlatbushLarry @Flatbush Operator @SoSpectacular @Cait Sith please correct me if I’m wrong with this information. 

3 minutes ago, Calvin said:

The M15-SBS is at Hale. The local version is out of TU where the 101, 102 and 103 operates. 

I knew I had something mixed up. Realized it after the fact. Thanks @Calvin

Does TU still have the local M15? If so, that’s what I meant to say. 

Edited by Future ENY OP

Just thought about the ages on some of these buses, and man..

The oldest NGs are 13.

The oldest artic we have is 12.

The 2011 orders are all 8-10 now.

The oldest SBS fleet (on the Q44), are around 5.

The oldest blue buses are 6.

The youngest MCIs we have are 8.

Our oldest local buses are 15, and...

Our oldest buses (2204/2209) are 20.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

Just thought about the ages on some of these buses, and man..

The oldest NGs are 13.

The oldest artic we have is 12.

The 2011 orders are all 8-10 now.

The oldest SBS fleet (on the Q44), are around 5.

The oldest blue buses are 6.

The youngest MCIs we have are 8.

Our oldest local buses are 15, and...

Our oldest buses (2204/2209) are 20.

and it’s sad that we let politics get in the way of having good better toys like more D4500CT’s at least from 2013. I get the 2008 ones didn’t fair out too well at first, but they are well maintained. Enough with the bad stuff. This good round of bus orders are good and very optimistic for the future.