BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

That Lefferts shuttle operated every 20 mins... How often would you have these hypothetical Q112's running?

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with that shuttle's ridership, but I can't imagine that it would be particularly high east of Rockaway Boulevard, nor that the ridership west of there would do much to change that (I mean, it stubs at Euclid Avenue in order to have a relatively convenient place to turn trains). Having said that, I'm not quite convinced that the route would actually need to run every 20 minutes, but I don't think every 60 or worse would cut it (not that I'd have any overnight routes running less frequently than every 60 minutes). I'd consider every 30-40 minutes for it, even while acknowledging that it's a notable reduction in service and capacity.

As for the simple idea of running an overnight bus between Rockaway Boulevard and Jamaica, I agree that the Q41 would actually be a better candidate, and if that was all to consider, I'd definitely push for that.

I wish I could speak with a bit more confidence than conjecture, but such is my lack of knowledge...

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Lex said:

Admittedly, I'm not familiar with that shuttle's ridership, but I can't imagine that it would be particularly high east of Rockaway Boulevard, nor that the ridership west of there would do much to change that (I mean, it stubs at Euclid Avenue in order to have a relatively convenient place to turn trains). Having said that, I'm not quite convinced that the route would actually need to run every 20 minutes, but I don't think every 60 or worse would cut it (not that I'd have any overnight routes running less frequently than every 60 minutes). I'd consider every 30-40 minutes for it, even while acknowledging that it's a notable reduction in service and capacity.

As for the simple idea of running an overnight bus between Rockaway Boulevard and Jamaica, I agree that the Q41 would actually be a better candidate, and if that was all to consider, I'd definitely push for that.

I wish I could speak with a bit more confidence than conjecture, but such is my lack of knowledge...

No worries.

As I see it, service every 20 mins. on an overnight Q112 is unquestionably unwarranted... At the same time though, service every 30-60 mins. wouldn't be all that warranted along the Q112's route either - Which is what prompted that question & which is also why I brought up the Q41 as a better candidate for a replacement at & east of Rockaway blvd. or whatever...

The dilemma with effectively replacing the Lefferts shuttle with a fixed bus route, is that it would need to effectively cover the Euclid - Rockaway blvd. portion of the Lefferts shuttle, effectively serve S. Ozone Park & S. Richmond Hill in general, and connect anyone patronizing this hypothetical bus route from either/both the aforementioned segments, to Jamaica....

6 minutes ago, lil hershey said:

Are they going to have a Final Run for the Orion VII OG

I can’t imagine that they would tbh these buses aren’t as iconic as the RTS was. I can see the MTA just rushing to scrap them all of them as soon as new buses come in. I felt like if they were going to preserve a hybrid it would have been one of the 63/6400 Orion VII’s. 

21 hours ago, Snorunts said:

East New York has a total of 20 2006/07 Orion VII Hybrids left: 6790-6792, 6794, 6804, 6806-6807, 6816-6818, 6820, 6823, 6826, 6830, 6832-6833, 6838, 6841-6843. The ones not listed are said to be at Eastchester/Zerega and Fresh Pond Depot.

17 actually.

6790-6792, 6794, 6804, 6806-6807, 6816-6818 6820, 6826, 6830, 6832, 6838, 6841 & 6842.

On 11/12/2020 at 1:25 PM, paulrivera said:

I noticed today that some of the Bx99 stops now have route maps installed on the Guide-a-Ride boxes. Looks like the 99's are gonna be around for the long haul...

Andy Byford's former system before the MTA, the TTC, had a "Blue Night" network. I think that there could be a larger extension of the system. It may be a idea whose time has come.

20 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Andy Byford's former system before the MTA, the TTC, had a "Blue Night" network. I think that there could be a larger extension of the system. It may be a idea whose time has come.

While it is a good idea for the time being, there's a lot of transit deserts that aren't connected by overnight service to the city, one being Riverdale for example. They should have left the BxM2 running every 2 hours instead of having both the BxM1/2 operate every hour.

8 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

While it is a good idea for the time being, there's a lot of transit deserts that aren't connected by overnight service to the city, one being Riverdale for example. They should have left the BxM2 running every 2 hours instead of having both the BxM1/2 operate every hour.

I don't think you're getting it. They didn't have the drivers to provide the service, period. There's no point in making a schedule for service that can't be provided. That's essentially why a lot of overnight service was canned. I'd rather they not run it, then make promises they can't keep. I know they cited low ridership as the reason, but many of the buses did not run and when service is unreliable, people won't use it. No one is going to wait two hours for a bus. Pointless.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

50 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

I hope so too. Happened near the Blink fitness that I go to on Fulton. SMH.  Last update on victim is that she’s stable but critical. 

She got shot in the face but her injuries are non life threatening according to channel 4 news.

What crazy is the bullet went though the back of the bus rather than a window.

I also am a member of Blink fitness, but I go a different Blink gym though. Excellent gym for only 15 bucks a month. Haven't been back since the pandemic started, last time I went was in March, and boy I feel it, get gassed walking walking up subway stairs at certain stations when it was rather easy when I was regularly attending the gym.

Edited by trainfan22

On 11/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, danielhg121 said:

If OMNY was active on it already, does the bus take OMNY? Or when they reprogram the farebox to CP, does the reader turn to "Coming Soon"?

I didn't really look inside but our local and express bus that have Omny in it shows coming soon

On 11/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, danielhg121 said:

If OMNY was active on it already, does the bus take OMNY? Or when they reprogram the farebox to CP, does the reader turn to "Coming Soon"?

I believe they have to turn off the readers on an individual basis in that case. There are some transfers at ENY from the Bronx whose readers are still active.