BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 minute ago, B35 via Church said:

Not exactly sure what you're asking with this....

QCM & Bay Plaza are the reasons I wouldn't say RFM is better than every city mall put together....

...is a joke.

I meant, what is the amount of riders bus operators will allow before flagging people?

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Kris Brain said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of social distancing doesn't it? 

Well, with the front half being sealed off and more people riding the bus now compared to April-May its pretty much impossible to maintain distance. That's why its heavily mandated to wear a mask (even though some riders and some bus ops don't seem to follow that tidbit.)

38 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Well, with the front half being sealed off and more people riding the bus now compared to April-May its pretty much impossible to maintain distance. That's why its heavily mandated to wear a mask (even though some riders and some bus ops don't seem to follow that tidbit.)

Like the one guy on the B11 who decided to (poorly) hold what looked like a cloth to his face.

Naturally, said cloth ended up off of his face...

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

Like the one guy on the B11 who decided to (poorly) hold what looked like a cloth to his face.

Naturally, said cloth ended up off of his face...

The signs instructing on appropriate mask usage on the buses are precisely for people like him.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Not only is there no set number, there's no real policy in place for anything like that....

22-25 has been the number tossed around internally (and at the very beginning, 24 on express was published in one single public document) but it's basically everyone doing their own thing. Some flag after like 15, and for others the sky is the limit.

54 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

22-25 has been the number tossed around internally (and at the very beginning, 24 on express was published in one single public document) but it's basically everyone doing their own thing. Some flag after like 15, and for others the sky is the limit.

Much of none of the drivers in Brooklyn seem to bother (B46, B68, and B35 the drivers could care less)

2 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

Kinda defeats the purpose of social distancing doesn't it? 

Who's going to enforce it, the b/o's? They didn't even enforce fare payment!

1 hour ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Don't know what's going on with the expresses, but as far as the locals go, I've never seen a b/o start flagging pax. with/around that amt. (15-25) of people on the bus (artic or 40-footer).... Only flagging I've seen thus far, is when buses are overcrowded.....

13 minutes ago, Jdog14 said:

Much of none of the drivers in Brooklyn seem to bother (B46, B68, and B35 the drivers could care less)

Yeah, exactly - and the carefree practice isn't just occurring here in Brooklyn either....

Edited by B35 via Church

2 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Who's going to enforce it, the b/o's? They didn't even enforce fare payment!

Don't know what's going on with the expresses, but as far as the locals go, I've never seen a b/o start flagging pax. with/around that amt. (15-25) of people on the bus (artic or 40-footer).... Only flagging I've seen thus far, is when buses are overcrowded.....

Yeah, exactly - and the carefree practice isn't just occurring here in Brooklyn either....

I haven't had an EXP run where anyone had to share a seat...yet. But they are getting more and more crowded every week. I'm sure it will pick up a lot in September (unless we get a massive second wave).

This is why i don't like that a lot of the exp buses have way more than 3 rows roped off. Just 3 rows gives more than 6 feet between BO and passengers, plus they are installing the plastic curtains. So they shouldn't need to rope off more seats than the first 3 rows. 

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

17 hours ago, Jdog14 said:

The B68 has generally had a tendency to be overcrowded in certain areas, before and throughout the pandemic. I still see the buses stuffed full, all the time. The B68 doesn't really run that frequently, so flagging would simply force people to wait for the next overcrowded bus. Not to mention, I wouldn't really call the route reliable, meaning headways can be up to twice what they should be.

15 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I haven't had an EXP run where anyone had to share a seat...yet. But they are getting more and more crowded every week. I'm sure it will pick up a lot in September (unless we get a massive second wave).

This is why i don't like that a lot of the exp buses have way more than 3 rows roped off. Just 3 rows gives more than 6 feet between BO and passengers, plus they are installing the plastic curtains. So they shouldn't need to rope off more seats than the first 3 rows. 

Way more than 3? Wtf....

How many rows they got roped off?

54 minutes ago, P3F said:

The B68 has generally had a tendency to be overcrowded in certain areas, before and throughout the pandemic. I still see the buses stuffed full, all the time. The B68 doesn't really run that frequently, so flagging would simply force people to wait for the next overcrowded bus. Not to mention, I wouldn't really call the route reliable, meaning headways can be up to twice what they should be.

Of course.

If there was an actual (enforced) rule that had buses only allowing for 15-25 people on a B35, there'd be a f*** ton of people between 5th av & E. 98th st. (which is about 85-90% of the route) assed out.... It's unrealistic.

47 minutes ago, 67thAve said:

Decided to create a bus map of the future MTA bus network with the way the current financial situation of the agency is.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1KmiMAixf5hf1ijCGPh17-5ecOStJi2p3&usp=sharing

There will not be a situation where there's absolutely no bus service in this city in the next year & a half... Stop it.

38 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

TWO BX6 locals showed up before one BX6 SBS came, the local variant of an SBS route showing up back to back before an SBS bus shows up? That has to be an first.

I'm not sure if it's due to the crisis or whatever, but I've lucked up like crazy catching B46 locals lately (doesn't matter which direction) & the bunching of them has been apparent.... It's almost as if they're more frequent than SBS'....

I'm not complaining though.

Edited by B35 via Church

3 hours ago, Kingjunior34 said:

What’s up with bus drivers driving so slow, waiting at lights and empty bus stops.

like I Know y’all trying to stay on schedule but people have places to be . 

Seldom anyone ever really looks at it like this, but you'd be surprised at how many times you've ever boarded a bus in this city that wasn't exactly on schedule.... As a passenger (especially some poor soul that has to rely on a route running on high headways), just think about missing a bus that left your stop early.... I personally loathe that.... OTOH, I'm appreciative as f*** of a late bus running on high headways.

As a passenger, yes it's frustrating.... Understand though, that a b/o running hot is a cardinal sin to the MTA..... it's better for them to be late than early..... That's why there's a bit of a leniency as to what constitutes being late.... To a passenger, 1 minute past the arrival time is late (which simple logic would dictate).... To the MTA however, it's more like 5....

There will not be a situation where there's absolutely no bus service in this city in the next year & a half... Stop it.

There will be bus service... but it may not be the MTA who is running it.

I expect that dollar vans will proliferate in the coming years and that the MTA may "pull out" of areas where it dumps sizable resources into bus operations, only to continuously lose ridership on a yearly basis. This, of course, is due to the dire financial straits the agency is in.

Will the map of the MTA bus network be blank like the one I posted? Probably not. But it will certainly shrink quite a bit.

Seldom anyone ever really looks at it like this, but you'd be surprised at how many times you've ever boarded a bus in this city that wasn't exactly on schedule.... As a passenger (especially some poor soul that has to rely on a route running on high headways), just think about missing a bus that left your stop early.... I personally loathe that.... OTOH, I'm appreciative as f*** of a late bus running on high headways.

As a passenger, yes it's frustrating.... Understand though, that a b/o running hot is a cardinal sin to the MTA..... it's better for them to be late than early..... That's why there's a bit of a leniency as to what constitutes being late.... To a passenger, 1 minute past the arrival time is late (which simple logic would dictate).... To the MTA however, it's more like 5....

It depends.  Years ago in Queens when I used to take Triboro Coach during morning rush hours, buses on the Q38 or Q29 would regularly leapfrog off of each other and it seemed to mitigate crowding/frequency issues.

In NYCT territory in the West Bronx, on the other hand, bus drivers were not allowed to pass, leave early, etc.  The routes there, especially the Bx10 and 20, have serious schedule and runtime problems to begin with (since at least the early 2000s).  All this made the experience on those lines like trying to navigate the seventh circle of hell during rush hour.

Edited by R10 2952

23 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

It depends.  Years ago in Queens when I used to take Triboro Coach during morning rush hours, buses on the Q38 or Q29 would regularly leapfrog off of each other and it seemed to mitigate crowding/frequency issues.

In NYCT territory in the West Bronx, on the other hand, bus drivers were not allowed to pass, leave early, etc.  The routes there, especially the Bx10 and 20, have serious schedule and runtime problems to begin with (since at least the early 2000s).  All this made the experience on those lines like trying to navigate the seventh circle of hell during rush hour.

The experience certainly tends to vary. The B44 I took on Friday arrived at Church Avenue with another, and ultimately passed it south of Newkirk Avenue (I don't remember if it was Foster Avenue or Farragut Road, but it did).

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Way more than 3? Wtf....

How many rows they got roped off?

Many of the buses have the chains on the first 3 rows, then red or black tape on all rows until the wheelchair seat (so that's another 3 or 4 rows), plus, they leave the wheelchair seats in the upright position so you can't sit in them. So all in all, it can be a solid 1/3 of all seats being roped off. It is too ridiculous at this point when we are in stage 4 starting tomorrow!

2 hours ago, R10 2952 said:

2 hours ago, Lex said:

The experience certainly tends to vary. The B44 I took on Friday arrived at Church Avenue with another, and ultimately passed it south of Newkirk Avenue (I don't remember if it was Foster Avenue or Farragut Road, but it did).

When I say it's better for them to be late than early, I'm talking about in terms of MTA admonishment/chastisement as it relates to the drivers....

37 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Many of the buses have the chains on the first 3 rows, then red or black tape on all rows until the wheelchair seat (so that's another 3 or 4 rows), plus, they leave the wheelchair seats in the upright position so you can't sit in them. So all in all, it can be a solid 1/3 of all seats being roped off. It is too ridiculous at this point when we are in stage 4 starting tomorrow!

That's simply going overboard for the sake of it IMO.... Even if the average express bus in general doesn't come too close to reaching capacity, that's still not an excuse for outright eliminating a whole third of the bus' capacity....

16 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

When I say it's better for them to be late than early, I'm talking about in terms of MTA admonishment/chastisement as it relates to the drivers....

Well yeah, TA management is the root of the problem here, and has been for at least 20 years, to be honest (if not longer).

Edited by R10 2952

35 minutes ago, R10 2952 said:

Well yeah, TA management is the root of the problem here (and has been for 50 years, to be honest).

Just for further clarity's sake, your point was separate from what I was pointing out to the guy (Kingjunior).... But to address the point you were making, although it may be something as meager as a b/o simply trying to get to an end terminal as fast as possible (to get their day done & over with or whatever), mitigative measures (such as leapfrogging) that a b/o may take to try to rectify a stark crowding imbalance between buses (and/or piss-poor scheduling in & of itself) from the passenger perspective are certainly commendable - Especially of a route that has a bit of a symbiotic relationship with another route....

Take that from someone that used to get livid at standing at ENY/Pacific st. for the B12, when bunches of 2 or 3 would approach the stop - with the jampacked bus pulling into the stop & the empty bus/es blowing past the stop.... Sometimes I'd try to hoof it/jog over to the next stop (Dean/Sackman) if traffic was slowed along Pacific (success rate of catching it was rather low, so I eventually stopped doing that).... Sometimes I'd get fed up & just walk back over to Atlantic (L) & make my way home from there...

Edited by B35 via Church