BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

4 hours ago, Calvin said:

I believe a bus stop was added or moved on the Q70-SBS. It doesn't follow the Q53-SBS that ends at the 61st St Station by Kennedy Chicken. 

As CheckmateChamp alluded to, being that the Q70 is articulated, the route no longer takes the Q53 course to 61st. (Roosevelt > 39th > 61st).... They take Broadway → Roosevelt → 75th → Woodside av., to stand at 61st.... First pickup stop is still along Roosevelt at 61st though.

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

Today on the Bx3:

B/O: "Sir, I'm gonna need for you to enter thru the back"

*man flashes (MTA) bus operator badge*

B/O: "Oh that's my bad, brother"

Lol.... Sounds so fake.... Reeks of *I'm embarrassed, so let me say supportive to save face*

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, 1train2255railfan said:

6700 seems like an interesting unit. Has cloth seats and also a different number font. 

Also the difference in seating between 6690-6728 vs 6729 on (the first pair of seats on the left side of the bus) is cool as well 

That was the first bus to get repainted in the 6690+ cycle. Probably some weird abnormalities with that. 

They started listing route information on the OMNY site.

Some of the bus info leaves much to be desired. For example, Flatbush Avenue and Aurelia Court (literally across the street from where I live) is at the very bottom of the B41's stop list, despite being considerably northwest of the diverging point (Flatbush Avenue and Avenue N). They also listed Jewel Avenue and Kissena Boulevard on the Q64's list three times.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Some of the bus info leaves much to be desired. For example, Flatbush Avenue and Aurelia Court (literally across the street from where I live) is at the very bottom of the B41's stop list, despite being considerably northwest of the diverging point (Flatbush Avenue and Avenue N). They also listed Jewel Avenue and Kissena Boulevard on the Q64's list three times.

Even if you look at the B39 (a route that only has 3 stops in each direction), the stop listing on the OMNY site is still jumbled.....

Nothing's in (the 6-digit) bus stop ID # order either, and obviously nothing's in numerical or alphabetical order.

There's no rhyme or reason to how the stops are listed.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

What on earth is this and who approved it? The B9 stop list has multiple stops that straight up don't exist in addition to being way out of order.

On top of that of the disorganized stops, the timetables they link to are outdated. They link to the respective timetables saved under the old link format. For example, the QM17 timetable redirects to the Winter 2016 timetable, when the current timetable is the May 2020 timetable. Not only has there been some runtime changes on the rush hour trips that are not noted, but the overnight service isn't listed either. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

35 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

On top of that of the disorganized stops, the timetables they link to are outdated. They link to the respective timetables saved under the old link format. For example, the QM17 timetable redirects to the Winter 2016 timetable, when the current timetable is the May 2020 timetable. Not only has there been some runtime changes on the rush hour trips that are not noted, but the overnight service isn't listed either. 

Do you know the current date for the B57 timetable? I’ve been trying to find one on a bus for years now, but I’ve only seen B13, B24, and B32 timetables on Grand Avenue buses. I also never found one on a Fresh Pond bus last year, I kept seeing B7, B26, B52, and Q58 ones.

Just a random thought, the (MTA) should increase service on bus routes like Q5 and Q85 due to the fact that they serve a Long Island Mall. Malls are not allowed to open in phase 4 for NYC and I can see those buses being packed as people flock to outside the city to do their shopping. Which would make it harder to social distance. The (MTA) could cut service on bus routes that serve city malls since no one is going to them due to them being closed and use them on routes that serve malls outside the city limits until malls are allowed to open in NYC.

Man they need to do what away with this open the windows on the bus when it's hot out nonsense, 7129 is f***ing hotter inside the damn bus than it is outside.

The A/C is on, but it can't do its job cause most of the windows are open!

Edited by trainfan22

25 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Just a random thought, the (MTA) should increase service on bus routes like Q5 and Q85 due to the fact that they serve a Long Island Mall. Malls are not allowed to open in phase 4 for NYC and I can see those buses being packed as people flock to outside the city to do their shopping. Which would make it harder to social distance. The (MTA) could cut service on bus routes that serve city malls since no one is going to them due to them being closed and use them on routes that serve malls outside the city limits until malls are allowed to open in NYC.

Man ain't nobody going out of their way to go to some rinky dink green acres mall. Bus routes that go to a beach I'd agree, but GA mall? Nah. 

33 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Yo. Roosevelt field is better than all the city malls combined 

32 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

I'd say, at best, service on the Q5/85 Green Acres branches would remain as they currently are, for the very sentiment/reason you're conveying that more service be added to it.... 

Putting that another way, with whatever service cuts that could be on the way (due to this crisis or whatever), I don't see the Q5/85 being exempt from that....

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Man ain't nobody going out of their way to go to some rinky dink green acres mall.....

LMAO! :lol:

1 minute ago, Future ENY OP said:

Yo. Roosevelt field is better than all the city malls combined 

I wouldn't quite go that far with the point, but something that RFM is, is becoming more of an unsold car graveyard.... Not necessarily a slight on the quality of the mall/shopping experience, but there's just way too much parking for it (3 or 4 vast multilevel parking garages + the acreage that street level parking encompasses) - and this is with including the influx of people that ended up flocking to it, due to the death of The Source & the falling off of Sunrise, Green Acres, and Broadway malls....

Green Acres though IMO, even though it's been revamped, is in the same category as Sunrise - shells of their former selves.

I went to Micro Center by bus (B11 -> B37 -> B35 -> B44).

The B11 was perhaps slightly slower and considerably more packed than I thought it would be, but was otherwise decent. The B37? Oh boy, if only I'd taken the B70. The bus took (probably more than) 30 f***ing minutes to show up (I got there around 4, when it's supposed to run every 20 minutes). The only good thing is that it wasn't packed.

Heading back, the first bus I got was the B35, and even during a pandemic, the route shows that artics are very much justified for the route. I almost got off at Flatbush Avenue, but I decided to stick with Nostrand Avenue. After a quick stop at BK, I hopped on the second of two locals to arrive simultaneously and got a pretty empty ride back.

Basically, I'd say the B35 could use a little more help to promote social distancing, while something needs to be done to avoid those excessive gaps on the B37.

(Off-topic, but after my experience at Micro Center, I've decided to apply for a job, though I'm looking at the one in Queens due to availability.)

19 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

I'd say, at best, service on the Q5/85 Green Acres branches would remain as they currently are, for the very sentiment/reason you're conveying that more service be added to it.... 

Putting that another way, with whatever service cuts that could be on the way (due to this crisis or whatever), I don't see the Q5/85 being exempt from that....

LMAO! :lol:

I wouldn't quite go that far with the point, but something that RFM is, is becoming more of an unsold car graveyard.... Not necessarily a slight on the quality of the mall/shopping experience, but there's just way too much parking for it (3 or 4 vast multilevel parking garages + the acreage that street level parking encompasses) - and this is with including the influx of people that ended up flocking to it, due to the death of The Source & the falling off of Sunrise, Green Acres, and Broadway malls....

Green Acres though IMO, even though it's been revamped, is in the same category as Sunrise - shells of their former selves.

I was reading an article about how the MTA might scrap some capital projects and one of them pertained to a potential 650 bus order being canned. Does anyone know what order that is? It said it included 75 electric buses and 23 express coaches ( 2021 Prevost X3-45 expansion order to take of the X23 and X24?)? Could this crisis also delay the 100% electric bus fleet conversion by 2040?

15 minutes ago, Lex said:

The B11 was perhaps slightly slower and considerably more packed than I thought it would be, but was otherwise decent. The B37? Oh boy, if only I'd taken the B70. The bus took (probably more than) 30 f***ing minutes to show up (I got there around 4, when it's supposed to run every 20 minutes). The only good thing is that it wasn't packed.

Heading back, the first bus I got was the B35, and even during a pandemic, the route shows that artics are very much justified for the route. I almost got off at Flatbush Avenue, but I decided to stick with Nostrand Avenue. After a quick stop at BK, I hopped on the second of two locals to arrive simultaneously and got a pretty empty ride back.

Basically, I'd say the B35 could use a little more help to promote social distancing, while something needs to be done to avoid those excessive gaps on the B37.

(Off-topic, but after my experience at Micro Center, I've decided to apply for a job, though I'm looking at the one in Queens due to availability.)

Sounds about right for the B37; seldom ever shows up promptly when you need it..... B70's a little more reliable than the B37, but not by all that much..... B35 to the B44 is a nice little joyride coming from out there (Sunset Park), heading back down around the Junction....

I'd fathom that much of nobody gives a shit about social distancing on the B35 here; there's been shoulder to shoulder crowding on buses, back when they commenced separating the b/o from the riding public with those chains & what not.... Outside of boosting service, there's nothing you can really do with the B37 as far as rectifying those gaps.... Thing doesn't garner enough usage overall to justify (regular/scheduled) short turns (which is what made AEMoreira's B37 diversion & truncation idea all the more ridiculous)....

As far as Micro Center goes.... Man, once I found out they had a location in Brooklyn, Best Buy could go eat a d***.... I knew about the ones in E. Garden City (which is well hidden btw) & Paterson, but I wasn't going to be driving out to either of them with any real regularity.... As far as public transit goes, I want no dealings whatsoever with NICEbus & you can't get to the one in Paterson (after getting off the #161 along Vreeland & walking) without crossing McLean, which is basically an expressway - concrete dividers & everything....

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Idk man, sometimes the B70 is crowded af.

10 hours ago, Snorunts said:

Do you know the current date for the B57 timetable? I’ve been trying to find one on a bus for years now, but I’ve only seen B13, B24, and B32 timetables on Grand Avenue buses. I also never found one on a Fresh Pond bus last year, I kept seeing B7, B26, B52, and Q58 ones.

The current timetable is the one on the new format of the MTA website, which is the September 1st, 2019 one. 

9 minutes ago, Cait Sith said:

Nah.....I don't agree with that, especially after the makeover lol.

I wouldn't even say that for Palisades, and I think that mall is better than RFM.....

How should I put this.... The allure of RFM is & has largely been due a lot of to the malls we have here in the city being, well, crap.... A dollar coin on top of an uncovered cardboard box full of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, looks mighty valuable.... You're old enough to have had (or at least seen) those old school piggy banks.... I broke the one I had & went straight for the half-dollars & quarters !!

...only "makeover" I had to show for it, was red ass :(

17 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Sounds about right for the B37; seldom ever shows up promptly when you need it..... B70's a little more reliable than the B37, but not by all that much..... B35 to the B44 is a nice little joyride coming from out there (Sunset Park), heading back down around the Junction....

I'd fathom that much of nobody gives a shit about social distancing on the B35 here; there's been shoulder to shoulder crowding on buses, back when they commenced separating the b/o from the riding public with those chains & what not.... Outside of boosting service, there's nothing you can really do with the B37 as far as rectifying those gaps.... Thing doesn't garner enough usage overall to justify (regular/scheduled) short turns (which is what made AEMoreira's B37 diversion & truncation idea all the more ridiculous)....

As far as Micro Center goes.... Man, once I found out they had a location in Brooklyn, Best Buy could go eat a d***.... I knew about the ones in E. Garden City (which is well hidden btw) & Paterson, but I wasn't going to be driving out to either of them with any real regularity.... As far as public transit goes, I want no dealings whatsoever with NICEbus & you can't get to the one in Paterson (after getting off the #161 along Vreeland & walking) without crossing McLean, which is basically an expressway - concrete dividers & everything....

So what's the average capacity on buses now for proper distancing?

1 hour ago, Cait Sith said:

Nah.....I don't agree with that, especially after the makeover lol.

Haven’t been there since the recent makeover. I know quite a few stores are closed now. Although they still have the better stores than any of the city malls.

Queens Center and Staten Island Mall are OK.  

3 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

So what's the average capacity on buses now for proper distancing?

Not exactly sure what you're asking with this....

2 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Haven’t been there since the recent makeover. I know quite a few stores are closed now. Although they still have the better stores than any of the city malls.

Queens Center and Staten Island Mall are OK.  

QCM & Bay Plaza are the reasons I wouldn't say RFM is better than every city mall put together....

2 hours ago, Kris Brain said:

Kings plaza?

...is a joke.