• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, lara8710 said:

If that's so, how did the S89 come to life?

As if to say what?

Asking how it came to life, doesn't somehow refute or nullify the overall point being made with that.... The S89 (finally) coming to fruition when it did, doesn't remotely mean that the floodgates will start opening (with the MTA operating interstate bus routes)...... That's not how it works.... We're not exactly talking about popping cherries here....

9 hours ago, 161 New York said:

It makes too much sense. It's logical. It actually helps people. So therefore it can't be done, or can it?

A re-imagined s48, s48 +SBS+ or s98 +SBS+

In my opinion, the s48 would be the best candidate for an articulated bus +SBS+ or +SBS+ Lite or a perma-super Limited.

First and foremost it connects with almost every local route in the Staten Island Division.

It is straight and flat with the notable exception of the 1/3 portion between the S I Ferry and the western portion of Silver Lake Park. This will definitely be an issue during inclement winter weather.

My revised s48 +SBS+ or s98 Super Limited would have the route going straight down Forest and take the straight and logical route to Amazon/Matrix Park.

Concurrent legacy s48 will "fill in the gaps" and would trail behind the artic bus and will remain unchanged.

Schedules to be mindful of employer start/end times.

The existing s40/s90

A ridership survey should be done to determine if ridership is coming from the 1/4 to 1/3 mile of the s40/s90 service (excluding 1/4 mile of the SI Ferry)  area to determine what level of ridership is originating from these areas.

Using the ridership data the s40/s90 could revert back to its original terminal at the Howland Hook Container Terminal (or whatever they are calling it these days) if in fact ridership is indeed originating from Ferry or riders transferring from other buses.

We can safely bet that the busway along Richmond Terrace or any capital project is delayed indefinitely given the delays.

Just my personal thoughts.

I have another idea that Uncle Jeff could possibly entertain, but I will hold back for now.

Forest Avenue has a far greater tendency to get congested compared to Richmond Terrace so the S40 is definitely a quicker route for most of the day compared to the S48. (Also I don't think Matrix Park is that big of a destination to the point where it warrants the more frequent S48 serving it compared to the less frequent S40.

Also, I think a full-time S98 should go over the Goethals Bridge (to either Elizabeth NJT, Newark Airport, or Jersey Gardens)

8 hours ago, lara8710 said:

If that's so, how did the S89 come to life?

With a lot of pressure from politicians (particularly the Borough President at the time James Molinaro). 

Apparently they needed to pass an act of legislation to get it done. (Now that the act is in place it is easier to get it done, but it wasn't until Andy Byford came into the picture that the agency began listening to ideas from the public in any noticeable way)

On 7/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, lara8710 said:

With Staten Island being the closest of the five boroughs to Newark Airport, I wonder why the S98 Limited hasn't been extended to serve it. Could it be because there's not enough potential demandd? That'smy guess.

I think the route needs to originate from ETC...and use OTR coaches. There is definitely a market for it. I would actually have a number of routes.

• SiM40: Newark Liberty Airport, hourly from 0600 to 2200 (ETC departure)...following the SiM4(C) up to Bulls Head and making SiM4C stops. Weekends, the route would be via Jersey Gardens before Newark Airport.

Via Richmond Avenue and Drumgoole Road, starting at Victory Boulevard:

• SiM50:  Richmond & Forest to Metropark, peak direction only, 6 trips each way.
  • SiM51: Richmond and Forest to Raritan Center, peak direction only, 4 trips each way.

Local service to New Jersey: (This would require the cap on all SI Division local buses to be raised to 45 mph minimum.)

• S47: St. George Ferry Terminal via Forest Avenue to Elizabeth (Broad Street station) via Bayway Avenue and South Broad Street, weekdays 0600 to 2000 and Saturdays 0800 to 1800 (no Sunday service). Some trips would start from the Ferry, but reliefs and most run-offs would be from Willowbrook Road. The final trips from New Jersey would drop out at Willowbrook Road and return to Castleton Depot.
  • S56: Reroute from Tottenville High School to Perth Amboy  (school trippers and some weekday AM short-turns would still run to/from Tottenville HS skipping Seguine Avenue). Instead of operating via Seguine and Hylan (which the S55 serves), the bus would continue west along Amboy Road, Page and Boscombe Avenues, and Bricktown Mall, and operate in Perth Amboy along Amboy and New Brunswick Avenues.

It is very possible that the SiM50, SiM51, and S56 could all be contracted, possibly to Academy, which has a garage in Perth Amboy. 

Edited by aemoreira81

1 hour ago, aemoreira81 said:

I think the route needs to originate from ETC...and use OTR coaches. There is definitely a market for it. I would actually have a number of (ONE) route....

• SiM40: Newark Liberty Airport, hourly from 0600 to 2200 (ETC departure)...following the SiM4(C) up to Bulls Head and making SiM4C stops. Weekends, the route would be via Jersey Gardens before Newark Airport.

While I believe such a market exists for a service to EWR (which I do believe Brooklynites would take advantage of btw), I don't see the necessity for it to be an express service.... Fixed route open-door locals tend to be more attractive when we're talking about serving a major airport...

Now if we were to talk about having an SI route serve both [Jersey Gardens] & [EWR], then we could perhaps talk about coach buses....

47 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Such said market needs to be (served by) from NJT not MTA. 

If academy was to operate a service too it shouldn't be marketed as an MTA service.

I'd want no part of NJT running a SI - EWR route..... I'm more inclined to agree with CheckmateChamp with perhaps running the S98 there... I simply think there's more potential with folks paying a flat $2.75, compared to a possible 3 zone ($4.50) or 4 zone ($6.00) zone interstate route fare..... Let NJT continue to focus its efforts on serving NJ residents (primarily) with the #62 to/from EWR.....

3 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

While I believe such a market exists for a service to EWR (which I do believe Brooklynites would take advantage of btw), I don't see the necessity for it to be an express service.... Fixed route open-door locals tend to be more attractive when we're talking about serving a major airport...

Now if we were to talk about having an SI route serve both [Jersey Gardens] & [EWR], then we could perhaps talk about coach buses....

I'd want no part of NJT running a SI - EWR route..... I'm more inclined to agree with CheckmateChamp with perhaps running the S98 there... I simply think there's more potential with folks paying a flat $2.75, compared to a possible 3 zone ($4.50) or 4 zone ($6.00) zone interstate route fare..... Let NJT continue to focus its efforts on serving NJ residents (primarily) with the #62 to/from EWR.....

Weekend service would be via both; I don't see justification for weekday service to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outside of the Christmas shopping season. What forces it to be express is that, at least for now, one cannot use coins on the Prevost and MCI fleet, but there are OMNY readers. When there are more options, such as fixed-time passes, that can change. Also, there is no local bus that's capped at a speed fast enough to serve EWR from Staten Island.

My post said a number at first because I initially considered separate service to Jersey Gardens, but then thought that there would be little weekday ridership there outside of the Christmas season (when there are normally transatlantic shopping trips there, usually on Jet2).

Must suck to rely on the B31 or B37 at this time:

DETOURS  Posted: 07/05/2020  6:48PM

B31 buses will start/end at Gerritsen Ave/Avenue W because of cars blocking the road on Gerritsen Ave between Avenue W and Gerritsen Beach. Buses will not stop between Gerritsen Ave/Gerritsen Beach and Gerritsen Ave/Avenue W. 

DELAYS  Posted: 07/05/2020  1:58PM

There is extremely limited B37 bus service in both directions.

Consider taking (R) trains on 4th Ave or B63 bus service on 5th Ave.

1 hour ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

B31 buses will start/end at Gerritsen Ave/Avenue W because of cars blocking the road on Gerritsen Ave between Avenue W and Gerritsen Beach. Buses will not stop between Gerritsen Ave/Gerritsen Beach and Gerritsen Ave/Avenue W.

Where the hell are the police and/or towaways? Are they still hung over from last night? 😂

6 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

How about we focus on getting a bus here to LGA instead before we even bother with EWR? 🤣😂

1 hour ago, Yankees4life said:

How about we focus on getting a bus here to LGA instead before we even bother with EWR? 🤣😂

Well, you have free reign to post on here just as much as any of us does on here, fam.... Lol....

Have any routing suggestions?

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

B37 notice tells me much of nothing.... B31 thing is pretty concerning....

6 hours ago, aemoreira81 said:

Weekend service would be via both; I don't see justification for weekday service to The Mills at Jersey Gardens outside of the Christmas shopping season. What forces it to be express is that, at least for now, one cannot use coins on the Prevost and MCI fleet, but there are OMNY readers. When there are more options, such as fixed-time passes, that can change. Also, there is no local bus that's capped at a speed fast enough to serve EWR from Staten Island.

My post said a number at first because I initially considered separate service to Jersey Gardens, but then thought that there would be little weekday ridership there outside of the Christmas season (when there are normally transatlantic shopping trips there, usually on Jet2).

I don't see what you're saying....

I get that the buses are governed (which I don't see as nearly as much of a problem that you do), but what does anything involving coinage have to do with such a service being forced (as you put it) to be an express? The latter would actually be a reason to use local buses....

2 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

No explanation? Odd.

The reason is something the general public would not easily comprehend.

But, if I could possibly provide some input on that situation, there's a fair bit of open runs every day that don't have operators to cover them. Seeing how that was for Sunday, the B37 isn't a very frequent line and there aren't many stand-alone runs for it on weekends, most B37 trips are interlined with either the B63 or B70 instead.

8 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

The reason is something the general public would not easily comprehend.

But, if I could possibly provide some input on that situation, there's a fair bit of open runs every day that don't have operators to cover them. Seeing how that was for Sunday, the B37 isn't a very frequent line and there aren't many stand-alone runs for it on weekends, most B37 trips are interlined with either the B63 or B70 instead.

So? Just say "due to operator availability" and most people should understand.

It would be Gun Hill to have one of the interior information screens to be dangling from the roof of the bus. Why is that depot so ghetto, and why does the MTA allow this to continue? You see nobody talks about LGA and S.Is maintenance anymore, because they've stepped up over the years, whereas KB and Gun Hill haven't and UP is another that's getting worse year by year.

(Its the screen in the front of the bus, you can see at 3:00 in the video). 

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

16 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

It would be Gun Hill to have one of the interior information screens to be dangling from the roof of the bus. Why is that depot so ghetto, and why does the MTA allow this to continue? You see nobody talks about LGA and S.Is maintenance anymore, because they've stepped up over the years, whereas KB and Gun Hill haven't and UP is another that's getting worse year by year.

I think that’s actually how they’re placed on this bus model.

26 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Where exactly is it dangling because I checked the whole thing and there wasn't anything wrong with the front display positioning (I checked other Nova videos and photos for reference). And the rear ones are slightly tilted on all Nova Articulated units. It doesn't help that whoever recorded this kept tilting the video.

57 minutes ago, Snorunts said:

I think that’s actually how they’re placed on this bus model.

No, only the rear is tilted because of the steps in the rear. 

42 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

Where exactly is it dangling because I checked the whole thing and there wasn't anything wrong with the front display positioning (I checked other Nova videos and photos for reference). And the rear ones are slightly tilted on all Nova Articulated units. It doesn't help that whoever recorded this kept tilting the video.

Do you need assistance? Zoom in and look at the first screen towards the front. It's not supposed to be like that. 

This video will show you how the front two screens are supposed to be positioned. 

9 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

No, only the rear is tilted because of the steps in the rear. 

Do you need assistance? Zoom in and look at the first screen towards the front. It's not supposed to be like that. 

This video will show you how the front two screens are supposed to be positioned. 

Checked it and yikes, it is dangling (At the 2 minute mark btw. The video shaking did not help make the front view clear). Must of happened while the bus was moving. Although, I would not automatically jump to the whole "Bronx depot is being lazy with maintenece" narrative just yet.

9 hours ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

So? Just say "due to operator availability" and most people should understand.

I doubt it. It is no secret that Buses have faced a high number of retirements and unfortunately the operators lost due to the coronavirus.  On SI for example, there is over supply on the express-side. The SIM4X & SIM8X should have been temporarily discontinued for the time being as both the ETC and SI Mall P&R lots are ghost towns, routes like the SIM 7 & SIM9 should have wider headways. That should have freed up some operators to maintain core routes like the SIM1c and SIM 4c as well as the locals.

20 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Yukon's LFSes are AFAIK uncapped for the S79 and S89 and, based on a few rides I've taken, are absolute rockets...

Very few if any are uncapped. The "newer" Cuomo buses have a better pick-up than the regular white and blue buses.

Edited by 161 New York