BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

Someone care to compile a list of intraborough local routes that utilizes a highway.....

Manhattan: M98, M60

Brooklyn: B15, B83*, B103

Queens: Q3, Q70, Q58, Q88, Q44+, Q50

Bronx: Bx5, Bx23, Bx12+. Bx29, 

Staten Isl: S53, S79+, S89, S93. 

*Although The B83 serves the Belt Parkway It is not considered intraborough. Bus only goes 1 exit within Canarsie-Starrett City.

35 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

B83, B103, Q10, Q3, Q70, Q88, Bx5, Bx23, Bx29, M98. There's plenty more routes that utilize highways, but you asked for intraborough. 

B15 is intraborough. Makes stops within the airport grounds  and utilizes part of the  Van Wyck + North and South Coundit. 

• Replies 39.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

*Although The B83 serves the Belt Parkway It is not considered intraborough. Bus only goes 1 exit within Canarsie-Starrett City.

B15 is intraborough. Makes stops within the airport grounds  and utilizes part of the  Van Wyck + North and South Coundit. 

The B15 is an interborough route, as it operates between boroughs (Brooklyn & Queens). The airport is part of Queens. The B83 is an intraborough route, because it only stays within one borough.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

Way to go the extra mile there.... Although it does raise the question though of, how many T/O's & C/R's know the bus network in this city, and how many B/O's know the subway system & the bus network (outside of the routes of the depot they currently operate out of).... Not to say that they should, but what I'm getting at is, how many B/O's, T/O's, or C/R's would be able to do something like that on a whim.....

On some levels it is kind of surprising how little some know about the other. I was on a Q65 heading towards Jamaica before the pandemic and there were two train operators heading towards the subway. One was heading to Jamaica Center and the other Jamaica-179 St. Guy heading to 179 St gets off at Parsons Blvd and asks the bus driver what bus can get him to 179 St, and the driver said he didn’t know. I know that the Q65 is MTA Bus Company and the Q43 is NYCT, but to not even be aware of what bus goes down Hillside Ave? 

51 minutes ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

B83, B103, Q10, Q3, Q70, Q88, Bx5, Bx23, Bx29, M98. There's plenty more routes that utilize highways, but you asked for intraborough. 

The Q88 technically uses the service road not the highway itself (same for the Bx5 on weekdays, though of course on weekends it uses I-95 north of PBP)

Technically some local streets are considered State Highways (e.g. Caton Avenue/Linden Blvd, Queens Blvd, Northern Blvd, etc) but I'm sure he meant actual expressways/parkways.

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Most of those routes were interborough routes that cross borough lines. B35 was asking for routes that stay within one borough.

51 minutes ago, jaf0519 said:

On some levels it is kind of surprising how little some know about the other. I was on a Q65 heading towards Jamaica before the pandemic and there were two train operators heading towards the subway. One was heading to Jamaica Center and the other Jamaica-179 St. Guy heading to 179 St gets off at Parsons Blvd and asks the bus driver what bus can get him to 179 St, and the driver said he didn’t know. I know that the Q65 is MTA Bus Company and the Q43 is NYCT, but to not even be aware of what bus goes down Hillside Ave? 

It was like that when the PBL's existed. Same could go for not knowing about LIB and Bee line

49 minutes ago, Lil 57 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but why is there no transit service of any type to Breezy Point? The nearest bus stop is 1.5+ miles away.

I think Breezy Point is a private community and they probably don't want the bus to come in their neighborhood. You can drive though there by car even if you don't live there though.

1 hour ago, Lil 57 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but why is there no transit service of any type to Breezy Point? The nearest bus stop is 1.5+ miles away.

There was a QBM2 I heard about that went there but was discontinued likely because nobody wanted a bus route there.

(Or because Metro Apple got shut down)

16 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

There's plenty more routes that utilize highways, but you asked for intraborough. 

Purposefully.

15 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

14 hours ago, RapidoNewLook said:

Clarification:

Interborough means from one Borough to the other.

Intraborough means within one Borough.

Also, the B24 is a Brooklyn-only route that uses the BQE to cross the Kosciuszko Bridge. 

There's a simpler way to distinguish/differentiate the two, so you won't get confused....

Inter - between

Intra - within

12 hours ago, Lil 57 said:

In a nutshell, the community places a heavy value on its seculsion.... You should see how stringent it is just to move there.

FWIW, there's a shuttle van that transports people between Breezy Point & B. 169th st (Q22/Q35/Rockaway Ferry Shuttle bus connections)

16 hours ago, jaf0519 said:

I'm going to assume that was either a new driver, someone that simply didn't feel like talking (You do have B/O's that are like that, for w/e their reasons..... Still though, a very basic level of customer service is part of the job), and/or someone with very poor situational awareness.... Otherwise, how do you not know as a local bus op' what bus routes that the route you drive along (with some regularity) connect to....

15 hours ago, Q43LTD said:

It was like that when the PBL's existed....

True, but how far removed are we from the PBL's now?

On 6/19/2020 at 2:38 AM, Trainmaster5 said:

We got so good at it that we became " Transit Ambassadors " which was a program that acknowledged our professional operation. Those riders and supervisors were in sharp contrast to some of the self important ,rude and clueless people who demanded attention. My memories.  YMMV.  Carry on.

Reminds me of that time the train operator got out of his cab to interrupt me while I was giving directions. He did it in a rude ass way that even the foreigner tourists were acutely aware of it. Long story short: he gave the right directions, but it would be like going to Google Maps and picking the worst of a list of travel itineraries.

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

There might be another that I'm forgetting at the moment, but here's a list of routes:

Bronx: Bx5, Bx23, Bx29

Brooklyn: B103

Queens: Q3, Q10, Q88

Manhattan: M98 

17 hours ago, Lex said:

The only ones that remotely come to mind at the moment are the B103, M35, and M98...

17 hours ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Thanks.

========================================

The reason for my question has to do with @Cait Sith's mentioning of CTTransit's local routes that have commuter-like aspects to them..... I know of all the interborough routes that utilize NYC's highways, but I didn't want to miss out on the intraborough routes that do so (didn't feel like doing a mental rundown yesterday of every NYC route & concluding if it ran on a hwy. or not... Basically, being lazy :lol:)

In any case, running off the list you guys compiled:

* Bx5/Bx23/Bx29 - All three of these routes briefly use the Hutch' to get from one side of Pelham Pkwy to the other....

* B83 - Uses the Belt to get between Starrett & Gateway Mall...

* M35 - (Intra-Manhattan) Island connector via the Triborough...

* B103/M98 - Commuter locals, via the Prospect & the HRD (respectively)....

* Q3/Q10 - Uses the highway network within the airport to get to/from T5....

* Q70 - Point-to-point Airport connector, via the BQE & the GCP....

* Q88: Doesn't apply..... @checkmatechamp13 is right, the part of the route between 108th st & College Pt. Blvd is actually the service road...

========================================

I'd say it's pretty clear that NYC infact pales in comparison to what they got going on in CT in this regard.... We don't have many routes of the sort (regardless of the fact that we actually have something called a subway system here) - and with the way the bus network is set up (in conjunction with how shitty our highway network is) in this city, we wouldn't stand to benefit from too many commuter locals anyway -_-

On 6/17/2020 at 4:43 PM, B35 via Church said:

When it comes to certain specificities involving public transportation, NYC-based news television and/or newspaper publications have been inaccurate for the longest.... Usually, they seldom bother mentioning specific route{s}... When they do, this is the result you tend to get.

IDK how many times throughout the course of life I've either heard (on the news) or read (in some paper) the B35 be referenced as the Bx35....

One of the few O7 Nexgen Hybrid's out of Tuskegee, too......

Here's an old pic of it:

(credit to the original photographer)11264603015_d3046d4d36_b.jpg

Oh shit, that's my picture lmao

3 hours ago, Cait Sith said:

6116 & 6120 at Casey Stengel.

Mileage purposes I'm assuming or beefing up summer service? Kinda weird how they shift over every few months. 6128 and 6130 transferred awhile back but their screens weren't on. Speaking of which, when are they installing screens for the 44? 

In a semi-related note, 6002 is on the Q12, rarely one of the 47XX's appear on the Q44 but the spare ratio is higher for the 44 I guess...