BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

No. I love that driver!! I reckon his driving made the trip subway-speed. He ran at least 5 reds. Is there a traffic rule I don't know about that allows this?

On the other hand, I'm on a walking-speed bus right now. This bus driver is really dragging his wheels.

It kinda sucks that there's such a huge gap in performance.

Lol this scenario sounds like the Q44 vs the Q20 on Main Street. The Q44’s race down Main Street moving faster than the cars sometimes while the Q20 stops at every light and travels like 10-15mph. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The last I checked bus drivers don't have exceptions to standard traffic lights where there isn't some bus-specific signal. There are bus specific signals at some queue jumps globally but IDK about New York's.

There are some intersections here that give priority to bus traffic in order to jump ahead.

5 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

There are some intersections here that give priority to bus traffic in order to jump ahead.

Well, whatever the case may have been, it didn't apply to the same route in the opposite direction. I rode it the other way and there were a lot of red lights that slowed down the trip. In one day, I could sort of see the potential for buses and the reason why people prefer to avoid them.

13 hours ago, bobtehpanda said:

The last I checked bus drivers don't have exceptions to standard traffic lights where there isn't some bus-specific signal. There are bus specific signals at some queue jumps globally but IDK about New York's.

How would the bus driver know it was safe to go through an intersection in a typical implementation?

5 hours ago, CenSin said:

Well, whatever the case may have been, it didn't apply to the same route in the opposite direction. I rode it the other way and there were a lot of red lights that slowed down the trip. In one day, I could sort of see the potential for buses and the reason why people prefer to avoid them.

How would the bus driver know it was safe to go through an intersection in a typical implementation?

Separate light, usually a white bar or something like that. Similar signal often used for streetcar/trolley systems, we have 'queue jumps' for the M86 and M96 and a few other routes around the city.

6 hours ago, CenSin said:

9 minutes ago, MHV9218 said:

Separate light, usually a white bar or something like that. Similar signal often used for streetcar/trolley systems, we have 'queue jumps' for the M86 and M96 and a few other routes around the city.

Usually it's something like one of those separate left turn lights that are not visible from the driver's seat unless you're directly in the lane.

Here's one in Seattle:

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Today the B42 I rode was so crowded that ppl got flagged.. this was in the afternoon off peak too.

Went to 165th terminal to see how ppl are boarding the buses.. there is enough space between lanes for ppl to board though the rear door.

Ohh shitt I forgot about 165st...how's boarding taking place out there? 

Even out at Hempstead Terminal for NICE I'm curious to the setup they have. 

1 hour ago, XcelsiorBoii4888 said:

Ohh shitt I forgot about 165st...how's boarding taking place out there? 

Even out at Hempstead Terminal for NICE I'm curious to the setup they have. 

The B/O opens the rear door and riders enter the bus though the back door. There's enough space for ppl to do this even if two buses are parked right next to one another.

I watched ppl board a bus while I was there.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:58 PM, RapidoNewLook said:

Anyone know what happened to the Prevost express bus order?

On 6/13/2020 at 11:42 PM, Snorunts said:

We’re still in a global pandemic, I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s delayed.

Some bus news -

2020 Prevost 1300 has made it to an an acceptance facility finally after being delayed for a while due to corona. It's not on property yet, but unless something goes wrong, it should be at some depot in short order

MTA will be taking over the SIM23 and 24 from Academy in the coming years. The option order (1607-1629) has been exercised as a result

The Nova LFS HEV pilots aren't far behind

From CPTDB Wiki - @Orion6025 (not sure if it is the same one here, so I didn't tag)

https://cptdb.ca/topic/6816-mta-nyct-subwaybus-discussion/?do=findComment&comment=897179

I have to wonder if the MTA plans to put driver shields on express buses.  1300 could be the test bus for it.

As for the express buses, given that the Prevost fleet all have Wi-Fi and USB , why not wrap the Prevost fleet in the new livery?

Unrelated to the above, the end of ABC World News had, on its ending: a day with an operator from CAS. 

Edited by aemoreira81

10 hours ago, Jova42R said:

2020 Prevost 1300 has made it to an an acceptance facility finally after being delayed for a while due to corona. It's not on property yet, but unless something goes wrong, it should be at some depot in short order

At risk of sounding incredibly ignorant, what is an acceptance facility?

Was reading an article in today’s Daily News about the new mural on Fulton Street in Bed-Stuy. The article states that bus service will be impacted on the B25 and the B44 routes because of this mural which is painted on Fulton Street between Marcy and Brooklyn Avenues. This location is in front of Restoration Plaza and, correct me if I’m wrong, the B44 doesn’t traverse that location. The B44 route uses New York Avenue and turns away from Marcy Avenue and the mural heading towards Nostrand Avenue. The B43 bookends the mural’s location turning onto Brooklyn Avenue and doesn’t travel on the mural itself. I haven’t been to the neighborhood in quite some time but I figured that the author of the article would have been there because the photographer took the picture accompanying the article. The B25 is the only route impacted IIRC. Makes me wonder how accurate articles about transportation issues in neighborhoods I don’t frequent are. Just venting. If my memory is slipping I can be corrected. Carry on.

1 hour ago, RapidoNewLook said:

At risk of sounding incredibly ignorant, what is an acceptance facility?

25 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

Just a guess but probably where they do finishing touches and some level of inspection and quality control on the buses?

I'm no expert, but I think the (MTA)'s  acceptance facility is Zerega.

4 hours ago, Jova42R said:

I'm no expert, but I think the (MTA)'s  acceptance facility is Zerega.

I might have misspoke in that quote. It's out in Secaucus getting some sort of work done, but I'm not entirely sure if that counts as an MTA acceptance facility.

16 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

Was reading an article in today’s Daily News about the new mural on Fulton Street in Bed-Stuy. The article states that bus service will be impacted on the B25 and the B44 routes because of this mural which is painted on Fulton Street between Marcy and Brooklyn Avenues. This location is in front of Restoration Plaza and, correct me if I’m wrong, the B44 doesn’t traverse that location. The B44 route uses New York Avenue and turns away from Marcy Avenue and the mural heading towards Nostrand Avenue. The B43 bookends the mural’s location turning onto Brooklyn Avenue and doesn’t travel on the mural itself. I haven’t been to the neighborhood in quite some time but I figured that the author of the article would have been there because the photographer took the picture accompanying the article. The B25 is the only route impacted IIRC. Makes me wonder how accurate articles about transportation issues in neighborhoods I don’t frequent are. Just venting. If my memory is slipping I can be corrected. Carry on.

Newsrooms are broke these days. Of course the quality's slipping, and it's not just transportation.

Two years ago the Daily News laid off half the newsroom.

1 hour ago, bobtehpanda said:

Newsrooms are broke these days. Of course the quality's slipping, and it's not just transportation.

Two years ago the Daily News laid off half the newsroom.

I guess you are right. The sad thing is that either an (MTA) spokesman or a city person was quoted in the story about the bus service. You’d figure that between the author, spokesperson and the photographer someone would get the story right. Thing is that I can pretty much figure out the reroute in my head because the story gave no details. Thanks for the reply. Carry on.

Edited by Trainmaster5
Added thought