• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Via Garibaldi 8

• XcelsiorBoii4888

• Cait Sith

• BM5 via Woodhaven

Top Posters In This Topic

I apologize if this was already answered before but why did the MTA cancel the conversion of the Q58 to artics?

The only thing I can think of that would stop it is those curves in Corona and maybe those narrow blocks in Ridgewood. It amazes me how frequent the Q58 is and those buses are always SRO or completely full even after one would pass in as little as 2 minutes before. It also does not help that the Q59 on Grand Ave is so unreliable. The countdown clock at Grand Ave/Queens Blvd showed that the next Q59 to Rego Park was set to arrive in 33 minutes and I noticed this at around 6:40pm. However I’m not surprised because I’ve seen 10 Q58’s show up before a Q59 would arrive. The Q59 would definitely get a lot more usage if it were more reliable. 

Edited by NewFlyer 230

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I apologize if this was already answered before but why did the MTA cancel the conversion of the Q58 to artics?

The only thing I can think of that would stop it is those curves in Corona and maybe those narrow blocks in Ridgewood. It amazes me how frequent the Q58 is and those buses are always SRO or completely full even after one would pass in as little as 2 minutes before. It also does not help that the Q59 on Grand Ave is so unreliable. The countdown clock at Grand Ave/Queens Blvd showed that the next Q59 to Rego Park was set to arrive in 33 minutes and I noticed this at around 6:40pm. However I’m not surprised because I’ve seen 10 Q58’s show up before a Q59 would arrive. The Q59 would definitely get a lot more usage if it were more reliable. 

to my understanding, the artic conversion was canceled because of 41 road. that was the biggest problem. more than likely, it'll be "resolved" after the redesign, where there's an alleged possibility of the new Q6 (Q58 variant... or the sbs version of it) using artics and avoiding 41 road & Sanford (possible right turn on Roosevelt rather than 41) 

16 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

....It also does not help that the Q59 on Grand Ave is so unreliable. The countdown clock at Grand Ave/Queens Blvd showed that the next Q59 to Rego Park was set to arrive in 33 minutes and I noticed this at around 6:40pm. However I’m not surprised because I’ve seen 10 Q58’s show up before a Q59 would arrive. The Q59 would definitely get a lot more usage if it were more reliable. 

The thing that makes the Q58 more attractive than the Q59 are the outer thirds (as in, the Corona-Flushing portion & the Maspeth-Ridgewood portion) of the route.... You could perhaps call the Q58 a super route.... Making the Q59 more reliable would matter more for Brooklynites, (Industrial) Maspeth, & those boarding Q59's along QB.... There's way too much Q58 service for folks along the rest of Grand av to even care about if the Q59 was more timely.... The MTA knows it can get away with running shit service on the Q59 for that reason alone....

20 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Look at the depot said route is operated from. Oops, I forgot. This said depot does this with every route in the Brooklyn Division 

20 hours ago, Jova42R said:

Could either of these work?

1. the Bx7X
    • Rush hour express of the :bus_bullet_bx7:
  2. the MX1
    • express run from Downtown to Harlem

see map for more.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AQi1N2KUvrvdu_WA2wRwms_WOwggw_9f&usp=sharing

1) Riverdalians aren't the main ones seeking Washington Heights on the Bx7, so no.... They mainly take the Bx7 to 231st for the (1) & I'm quite sure most of 'em are riding well south of 168th..... Those side streets you'd have buses using up there wouldn't exactly sit well with them either.....

2) An express route running along CPN via Morningside Heights to City Hall would fail miserably.... Virtually no demand, target riderbase is too narrow on both ends of the route, and then there's the West Side Hwy. aspect of it..... I suppose this concoction of yours could be great for anyone somehow needing to get from Columbia U. to Pace though :lol:

9 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Look at the depot said route is operated from. Oops, I forgot. This said depot does this with every route in the Brooklyn Division 

True, but it does make you wonder how poorly Grand av. would be serviced if the Q59 was the sole route operating along it.....

Edited by B35 via Church

13 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

True, but it does make you wonder how poorly Grand av. would be serviced if the Q59 was the sole route operating along it.....

Just a bit baffled that management didn’t look at the Q59 and send that back to the Pond also. However, the deadhead for sure is near GA. IMO, Fresh Pond does better with the Queens routes than GA. GA’s Q59 is similar to Fresh Pond’s Q55. Both underrated if u ask me. 

15 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Just a bit baffled that management didn’t look at the Q59 and send that back to the Pond also. However, the deadhead for sure is near GA. IMO, Fresh Pond does better with the Queens routes than GA. GA’s Q59 is similar to Fresh Pond’s Q55. Both underrated if u ask me. 

Grand av portion of the route is what it is (it's always going to be a heavily utilized corridor)....

The Brooklyn portion of the Q59 is stagnant (personally, I think it's overrated)....

The underrated portion of the Q59 IMO is the portion along QB (at least Brooklyn bound anyway; most the Rego Park bound buses tend to tank at Grand/QB)....

52 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Grand av portion of the route is what it is (it's always going to be a heavily utilized corridor)....

The Brooklyn portion of the Q59 is stagnant (personally, I think it's overrated)....

The underrated portion of the Q59 IMO is the portion along QB (at least Brooklyn bound anyway; most the Rego Park bound buses tend to tank at Grand/QB)....

Accurate. 

16 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Earlier onboard the B41 from Cadman Plaza to Barclays Center, 7622 has the regular blue wrap with new number 7622 placed by the headlights (looks brand new). The +Select Bus Service was removed and the SBS fare sticker. 

Yep, it was converted to the local scheme at Grand Avenue Depot (as mentioned in the repainted/wrapped buses thread). 7634 is in the process (if not already) in the local scheme.

Do you have any pictures of 7622?

Edited by Snorunts

On 2/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, B35 via Church said:

1) Riverdalians aren't the main ones seeking Washington Heights on the Bx7, so no.... They mainly take the Bx7 to 231st for the (1) & I'm quite sure most of 'em are riding well south of 168th..... Those side streets you'd have buses using up there wouldn't exactly sit well with them either.....

I concur. If anything, what I have seen when I have taken the Bx7 from 207th Street is the bus will empty out considerably Northbound going to Riverdale at 231st. Lots of people that live or work in Washington Heights will get off in Kingsbridge. Both areas still have sizable Dominican populations. You may some Riverdalians that work at New York Presbyterian Hospital that may use, but their presence isn’t that large. The hospital types generally work at Mount Sinai and if they are at Columbia or New York Presbyterian some even drive.

I’m in Hudson Heights and Fort George a few times a week. It is a lot faster to just drive or get an Uber, which is what I do. 10 minutes and I’m home. Just across the Henry Hudson Bridge.