SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Kinda reminds me of how the R188 just came into Main Street as I swiped my MetroCard on the 3rd day they were running.. 

Last year November, I walked down the platform at Main St, saw a Not in Service R188 with lights off on the left platform and I saw an R62 in the middle almost crowded, ready to leave, so I got on. I then saw an R188 pulling in and I was going to get off and take it. But I didn't take it because I would look like a fool for getting off the train when the train had room for more people. So days later, I manage to catch the R188 a few times. Just the other day, I went to Jamaica Center on the (J) platform to catch the R143 that everyone was talking about. No trains were there, so I waited for something to come and it happens to be a R32. I didn't wait for the next one to come because 50/50 change that another R32 or R42 would come. When I took the R32, I saw few Jamaica-bound trains passing by and most of them were R32's and R42's. My train was turning on the curve and I couldn't tell if that was an R143 or R160 that was passing by on the same curve.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There were a few times a caught an R68 (N) without trying this year alone. Heck, there was even one time when I caught 2 uptown R68 (N) train in a row when I rode the (Q) from lex v to canal street. Now that's something, especially since I usually see one R68 (N) on the entire line when I ride the R68 from Astoria to Coney, then back to Astoria.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

Eh, I happenned to catch the R188 on the first day without even looking at 74 Street. I just had to chuckle at myself. It was the day after my birthday when thwy first went into service too. It's gonna be two years now in the November. Time goes by so fast.

And as Im typing this, Im om the Q32 and see an R68 above me with hald the rollsigns on <Q> and half on (N). Now I don't know what train it is, lol.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Last weekend during the Cranberry Tube work, me and my friend had plan to go to the movies in Manhattan to see Fantastic Four @ Regal Cinemas @ Union Square that started at 4:30pm. I said to my friend if we take the (A) to Fulton St and catch either the (4) or (5) to 14 st Union Square, it will take an hour and 15 minutes. However, if take the (A) to Broadway Junction and catch the (L) to 14 st Union Square, it will take an hour and 10 minutes(I looked at Google Maps). So we agree to take the (A) & (L) . I had realize that I forgot the (A) don't stop at Fulton St since they were fixing the tunnel. lol I never rode the (L) in years. I was with my mom when I was little to take the (L) to make one stop in Manhattan.  This was my third time taking it. It was my first time to ride half the length to 14 St Union Sq. When I was on the (L) , the announcement seems low and I can barely hear it. When I take the R142 or R160, I can hear the announcement loud and clear.

For whatever reason, the 143s have the softest PA systems in the fleet.

Guys, there was an R160 at Jamaica Yard signed up as a (W) to Forest Hills-71st!!!!!!!! Not playin yo, really!

(W) FOREST HILLS-71ST

(W) via Queens Blvd

I saw it while there was traffic on the Van Wyck

The (N) has the same sign too and probably the (Q) but will they ever get reroute via the Queens Blvd Line. Most likely not.

JFK express. Maybe the MTA was going to have the same type of service done via the 3 line. And from New Lots Ave people would have to take the B15 or airport shuttle bus maybe. It is quite weird to have those signs on an IRT train.

no, probably just a mistake.

Well, that's different. Something's definitely not normal with that rollsign situation, out of place and with internal pieces showing and all. Almost looks like a piece cut off and pasted on, or a vertical roll (which the R62As do not use). I suppose it is possible that a roll was printed with that, but it's really hard to believe an A Division car could have that. I think somebody was messing around at some point.

Also, does 242-VC have new signs now? Damn.

Edited by MHV9218

Somebody explain to me this:

The (A) right now runs to three different terminals am I correct? You got one heading towards Ozone, The other towards Rockaway Park and the other towards Far Rockaway.

This is very confusing, since tourists will want to lets say go to the Rockaways, although they have never been on the subway before. On the R46's, some of the conductors forget to change the LCD sign so you would have a uptown (A) train having its LCD's saying "To FAR ROCKAWAY", with others, some people mistake a Ozone Park train for a Far Rockaway Bound train.

Now, lets change the train fleet to change the same situation. If the (A) had R160's, it would be better to see on the FIND maps if the train is heading towards ethier 3 of its terminals, and with the Automatic Signs and non glitchy exteior signs, it would be great for disabled people and tourists. However, since R160's are getting sent over to the (A), the least the MTA can do is add strip maps to the R46 fleet of the (A).