SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you a question CenSin: why do ANY of us exist. I would tell you the egg story, but my Letter Limit prevents me for doing that.

I was going to jump there, but wanted to make you go through the thought process from step 1. Since we jumped ahead already, why not jump further: why does the universe exist? It's the ultimate question and pretty much what you're going to end up asking once you've burned through all the intervening questions.

There was a switch problem at Utica av. I was at Mott av, Far Rockaway, found out from the announcement about the problem and the platform was crowded due to train delay and the next train to Mott av was crossing Broad Channel. Also the (A) ran local to Hoyt.

I have a question for my current RTO people. Have there been any modifications to the NTT to improve their operation in inclement weather?: Those of us who operated the R142/ 142A cars when they were brand new might remember the problems they had. For example a n/b (2) or (5) leaving 149th St-3rd Avenue in icy conditions would always have problems trying to make the climb up to Jackson Avenue if it was a NTT. SMEE equipment never had that problem even when they were on their last legs.Ice on the third rail and/or the running rails were also problematic on the Dyre Line because the announcements and onboard computer would be so far out of synch that the "hi tech" components were basically useless. There was also the problem of the "current collector" vs the "contact shoe" back then. Trains with contact shoes never had the issues the NTT did with ice on the third rail. Sure the lights and HVAC might flicker on and off but back when the NTT were introduced to the IRT any fluctuation in electrical current could possibly bring a NTT to a dead stop. That Con Ed substation upstairs at Newkirk Avenue on the Nostrand Avenue line was notorious for it's voltage fluctuations which stopped all NTT movements in and out of Flatbush because the computers would shut down the trains. Imagine being a crew member or passenger on a s/b train stuck down there and having to wait for the emergency truck to bring Car Equipment and Bombardier people to the scene to re-boot the trains affected. Hope things have improved for the crews and passengers. Those railfans who drool over the shiny NTTs don't have a clue. Carry on.

I'm just going to list all of the NYC transit announcers. That way, we don't get ten questions of "Who does the announcements on X line?"

Annie Bergen: (7), (S) -42nd St

Kathleen Campion: (A)(C)(F)(S) - Rockaway Park, Franklin Ave

Catherine Cowdery: (B)(D)(E)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(V)(W)(Z)

Jessica Ettinger: (4)(5)(6)

Carolyn Hopkins: Flushing, B-Division next train arrivals

Charlie Pellett: "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors", other PSAs

Dianne Thompson: (1)(2)(3)

Bernie Wagenblast: A-Division next train arrivals

With the exception of Bergen, each of the on-board announcers' voices pop up on other lines in random spots.

I'm just going to list all of the NYC transit announcers. That way, we don't get ten questions of "Who does the announcements on X line?"

Annie Bergen: (7), (S) -42nd St

Kathleen Campion: (A)(C)(F)(S) - Rockaway Park, Franklin Ave

Catherine Cowdery: (B)(D)(E)(G)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(V)(W)(Z)

Jessica Ettinger: (4)(5)(6)

Carolyn Hopkins: Flushing, B-Division next train arrivals

Charlie Pellett: "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors", other PSAs

Dianne Thompson: (1)(2)(3)

Bernie Wagenblast: A-Division next train arrivals

With the exception of Bergen, each of the on-board announcers' voices pop up on other lines in random spots.

Seem weird how one person can have that many variants in tone.