SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious about trains pulling out of the station early--I was on the 00:12 southbound (A) out of 207th last night, and it pulled out at 00:09. The train hit every station (145, 125, etc.) exactly on the schedule time points after that (until construction south of 59th), which made me wonder if the schedule the MTA provides isn't possible to follow and that's why the train left early. [if it had left at 00:12, one assumes it would have run 3 minutes late.] For what it's worth, the bell sounded at 207 at about 00:08, and the C/R jogged into the cab, so there was definitely a hurry.

Curious about trains pulling out of the station early--I was on the 00:12 southbound (A) out of 207th last night, and it pulled out at 00:09. The train hit every station (145, 125, etc.) exactly on the schedule time points after that (until construction south of 59th), which made me wonder if the schedule the MTA provides isn't possible to follow and that's why the train left early. [if it had left at 00:12, one assumes it would have run 3 minutes late.] For what it's worth, the bell sounded at 207 at about 00:08, and the C/R jogged into the cab, so there was definitely a hurry.

The same thing happened with the (J) I rode home early this morning. It was supposed to depart Chambers at 01:18, but it actually left at 01:16. We did get back on schedule once we pulled into Myrtle since we waited for a connection with the (M).

I was riding an R142 (4) train, and I saw that it had a completely updated Strip map that included the M60 SBS, B44 SBS, and Bleecker Street as an ADA accessible station:

20150120_153134_zpsjxozu1dh.jpg20150120_153119_zpsxnksmeeg.jpg20150120_153359_zpsszovimzx.jpg

That was not the only new thing that the map showed. There is something hidden under the (6) at 86 Street and the (3) at Utica Avenue:20150120_153153_zpsqy9sypuf.jpg

20150120_153204_zpskcwxjyz8.jpg

At first, I was confused about what it held, but then I came up with one solution: THE NEXT SBS ROUTES ARE REVEALED!!!

Why else would they have a covered spot under the (6) and (3)? The spots are there for when the B46 and M86 are ready for SBS. I mean, 86 Street and Utica Avenue are some of the corridors that are most talked about right? Sadly, I could not find any new Strip maps for the (5) and (6), but expect them to come soon.

Yeah, it has to be the new SBS routes as nothing else makes any sense for a transfer in those locations.

It's about time they completely replaced the line maps. They were looking ratty with all of those update stickers on them. Nice catch B.

Yeah, it has to be the new SBS routes as nothing else makes any sense for a transfer in those locations.

It's about time they completely replaced the line maps. They were looking ratty with all of those update stickers on them. Nice catch B.

Thanks Lance. Just a few minutes ago, I saw an R62A (6) train with the M60 SBS as well. Nothing that big to me since that strip map was on one of the most recent transfers from the (7).

On Sunday, I went through the Jamaica Center Station. It looks nice. Confusing though, I didn't look at the sign and I thought we were to go through the (E) platform for the (J). There was a train and I thought it was an (E)But (E) didn't run today! I looked and it was a (J). T_T

Someone who didn't pay attention to overhead signs would really get lost! :P

Is it possible for a (D) train to go via the (A) then via the (Q)?

No. Connections at W4 are only between the local tracks, which have no access to the Manny B heading SB. Why there isn't a switch there is beyond me, because it would certainly add a lot of flexibility.

*Edit: A (D)can use Brighton (the (Q) south of DeKalb, as it is accessible to all 4 bridge tracks as well as the tunnel tracks. The (B) does this exact routing.

Edited by cl94

No. Connections at W4 are only between the local tracks, which have no access to the Manny B heading SB. Why there isn't a switch there is beyond me, because it would certainly add a lot of flexibility.

There used to be one many moons ago. Fitting the Chrystie St connection in required the removal of that scissors crossover, which was just east (railroad south) of Broadway-Lafayette St.