SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of switching, how come the (2) and (5) always switch terminals or lines? I think of them as a married couple. This is what I think of the subway lines:

(1) = Lone Wolf, broke up with (9)

(2) = Married to (5)

(3) = Lone wolf

(4) = Brother to (5), sister to (6)

(5) = Brother to (4), sister to (6), married to (2)

(6) = sister to (4)(5).

(7) = Brother to <7>

<7> = Brother to (7)

(9) = Broke Up with (1), moved to the train yard in the sky.

(A) = Brother to (C).

Just because I don't want to spam, should I go on?

wtf lol

Did anyone else see the list of the most/least reliable subway lines according to the (MTA)?

Top 3:

(D)

(R)

(J) / (Z)

Bottom 3:

(5)
(A)

(I missed the third one)

The top 3 is so flawed, I've spent 30 minutes waiting for (D) and (R) trains on 10 and 15 minute headways.

The bottom 3 is believeable, but I didnt think the (5) would be the least reliable, but then again when there's problems on the Lex the (5) is the first to no-show (because the bulk of them get rerouted down the west side). Actually even on a good day they get bunched with uneven service in between (4) trains...

Edited by paulrivera

The (5) is definitely unreliable. I'd say 3/4th of the time in the morning, I see a (4) train arrive first. The PM rush on the (4)(5) drive me nuts. The express run between 42 and 14 is bottlenecked because it takes forever to get trains in and out of that station. The (6) is usually faster during these times.

The (F) is also one of the crappiest ones out there. I believe it was recently ranked as the line with most delays. 

The (5) is definitely unreliable. I'd say 3/4th of the time in the morning, I see a (4) train arrive first. The PM rush on the (4)(5) drive me nuts. The express run between 42 and 14 is bottlenecked because it takes forever to get trains in and out of that station. The (6) is usually faster during these times.

The (F) is also one of the crappiest ones out there. I believe it was recently ranked as the line with most delays.

Would the moveable platforms for the (4) / (5) at Union Square have something to do with those delays?

The moving platforms at 14th, the slow segments approaching Grand Central and Union Square, the merges at 149/Grand Concourse and at Rogers Junction (b/t Nostrand and Franklin), and the slow segments between Brooklyn Bridge and Bowling Green, and another slow point S/B between 138 and 125 during the AM rush all make the Lex overall pretty unreliable.

As for the (5) in particular, it has to merge southbound with the (2), then diverge and merge with the (4), then merge again with the (2) while crossing tracks being used by the (3).

Northbound, the (2) will take the (5) 's interval and vice versa on occasion, in addition to crossing (3) line trackage before merging with the (4), then diverging and merging again with the (2) and if it's the PM rush, merge or cross over again depending on the final destination of the 5 train.

The merges alone can set a 5 train back a good 5 minutes, but it's not as noticeable on the 5 since it doesn't get as Tokyo-style crammed like the (4), although the (5) does have its moments.

something needs to be done about the signals on church ( Brighton line) 3 times this month I was stuck on the B because the signal wouldn't turn green, this morning stood there for 10 mins :/

I have a question

for super long routes does it ever happen that there is a crew change mid route e.g. at jay-metrotech for the A

something needs to be done about the signals on church ( Brighton line) 3 times this month I was stuck on the B because the signal wouldn't turn green, this morning stood there for 10 mins :/

I have a question

for super long routes does it ever happen that there is a crew change mid route e.g. at jay-metrotech for the A

IDK if it counts but the (D) at Bedford Park.

Just a quick thought:

When trains are in Manhattan, they say "This is a Bronx Bound (5) Express Train...)

But during the weekday rush hours, when a (6) becomes a <6>, it says  "This is a Pelham Bay Park bound <6> Express Train...)

Isn't suppose to say "This is a BRONX bound <6> LOCAL Train....)"

Just a quick thought:

When trains are in Manhattan, they say "This is a Bronx Bound (5) Express Train...)

But during the weekday rush hours, when a (6) becomes a <6>, it says  "This is a Pelham Bay Park bound <6> Express Train...)

I think to clear it up between Parkchester and PBP

Today from 2:52 to 3:12 I was just standing at Queens Plaza for an E train to come!

Just a quick thought:

It was changed sometime in 2006 or 2007 to the present way to reduce confusion on whether the train is a Pelham local to Parkchester or Pelham express to Pelham Bay Park. It was also changed to reduce the number of unnecessary transfers between (6) and <6> at 125 St or 3 Av-138 St.

Today from 2:52 to 3:12 I was just standing at Queens Plaza for an E train to come!

Yep I feel you all day today the trains are terrible I dont know whats going on im on a Q right now after waiting forit at Barclays for 15 mins

The 2/3 Was also messed up as 2's were going via lex and I spent 10 mins there

Coming fron downtown shouldn't take more than an hour

Yep I feel you all day today the trains are terrible I dont know whats going on im on a Q right now after waiting forit at Barclays for 15 mins

The 2/3 Was also messed up as 2's were going via lex and I spent 10 mins there

Coming fron downtown shouldn't take more than an hour

Southbound (3) went into emergency at Hoyt, and there was a rail condition at Grand St

With the (D), they relay their own train at Norwood, then bring it back out and go to Bedford Park since there's no crew room at Norwood.

IIRC, the (A) does at Euclid late nights

The A does not have a crew change at Euclid during the late nights.  However, sometimes a train will be swapped there.

Then there are the various exterior signs, like the bulkhead sign that indicates whether the train's a local or express, the side signs (FLUSHING EXP/FLUSHING LCL), as well as the automated announcements. If you can't figure out which train you're on with all of those audio and visual cues, I don't know what to tell you.