SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

So any depot workers or anyone know what the deal is with those FIND fails? Does the (MTA) even know about the issue? When are they going to fix it? A conductor on the (N) a few days ago just flat out had the damn FIND boards off. I noticed that while the FIND boards are screwed up, announcements are proper.

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The (1) and (3) will not be getting NTTs until the R62/As retire, which is about another 5 to 10 years.

Nope you are very wrong on that , to correct you its about another 10-15yrs a subway car is supposed to be in service till its at least 40yrs old the R62 came in 1983-1985 and R62As in 1985-1987. So R62s are supposed to be retired 2023-2026 and R62As 2025-2027 and that is if their replacements are even on time if not then you may see them here longer than that. The oldest R62 has just hit 30yrs old and the oldest R62A 28 yrs old. Lets worry about their replacements when the (MTA) announces it in the next few yrs to come.

Edited by R62AR33

Bullshit run on my (6) today, train went local all the way until 86th (running very late) and then went express until 116th. Don't get that point of a decision like that, as the time saved is minimal and the number of customers affected is enormous considering the whole train empties out at 96th. Why they couldn't have skipped 14-42 or 59-86 is beyond me, especially since there was room on the tracks.

Spotted a really young T/O today. Asian man, had to be no older than 25.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly who you're talking about - he's dating a friend of mine. 

Smash Cut to text messages: 

Me: "Hey did I just see your boyfriend opping the goddamn 3 train" 

Her: "Hahahahahah oh yeah I forgot to tell you"

So any depot workers or anyone know what the deal is with those FIND fails? Does the (MTA) even know about the issue? When are they going to fix it? A conductor on the (N) a few days ago just flat out had the damn FIND boards off. I noticed that while the FIND boards are screwed up, announcements are proper.

I think I got to the heart of the problem. They've been having interns do it. No I'm serious. Via this page: http://www.mta.info/nyct/hr/engineering.htm

Project Number: DS 106 (Revised)

Department: Subways

Division: Rail Operations Support

Work Location/Room Number:130 Livingston St, Brooklyn,  NY  Room 6085A

Title of Intern Position: Engineering Support Aide

Number of Positions: 1

Major(s) Preferred: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer

Overview of Dept/Division: 

New Technology Cars/Automatic Announcement System Unit. Automatic Announcement System Unit incorporate Operations Planning route pattern changes in the Automatic Announcement System on the new technology cars.  The unit is responsible for: the correctness of the automated announcements and making changes to the automated announcement software; Testing software changes in the automated announcement lab and on the trains; monitoring and tracking upgrading of AAS software on New Technology cars.  Also, the unit trains Car Equipment field personnel in uploading upgraded software to the New Technology cars procedures; coordinates development of the R160 automatic announcement system database and automated announcement system; and  monitors the development of R160 critical car systems i.e. Cab Controls, communications system, Train Operator Display to ensure RTO’s operating requirements are addressed.

Responsibilities:

Assist in creating an audio CD for each subway line. The CD plays a recording of each station stop and all transfers available at each stop. Assist in testing modified automatic announcement system software using software workstations.

Special Qualifications or Background Needed: All majors are accepted, however student must be motivated.

Question to you guys who might happen to know:

As you guys know, the last railcars scrapped off NYCT property occured last October 22nd with R27 8145 and R30 8463. Lately, scrapping's come to a standstill, though I noticed that there are a few cars left on property that have been sitting in storage, including:

- a handful of R33WF cars scattered at Unionport Yard and 207th Street Yard

- 4 R36WF cars at Unionport Yard (9582-85)

- R17 6895 and R21 7267 at Concourse Yard

- R22 7486 at 207th Street Yard

Question: what's the timeline for the rest of these cars to go to scrap? Does this have anything to do with the scrapping of cars already off property? Are there other cars not mentioned going to scrap?

Thanks, guys!

Interns can do a decent job if trained properly. It is somebody's fault, but let's not blame the interns themselves yet.

I know I know, I was mostly just kidding. 

I'm curious though, because in a previous thread on here it's mentioned that the vendor has to come out to do any program updates, but the job listing in my previous comment mentions that they have an in-house lab for developing and testing them. Maybe the vendors did such a bad job with the programs that they're only just now moving toward doing the programs internally. Honestly I just don't know. 

Correct, Prospect. They should be turning around the trains around south of Prospect Park, as those switches are the closest set in the proximity of Church Avenue. The only other set of cross switches in the area is by Kings Highway then Brighton Beach.

You didn't really understand my question, I know already where there are switches there.  My question was why terminate at Church and cause all that inconvenience with the buses and just terminate at Prospect if they are switching there anyway.  I'm sure they could have done an express run or something at least. 

On Friday, after I get out of school, I get the R188 going to Manhattan. When I get to Grand Central to take the downtown (6) , I get the R62A <6> (The train was signed up as <6> even with diamonds on the LED's going downtown). I can see the (6) being a problem with the signs in the future... Already seeing the sign saying <6> to E 177 - Parkchester. 

On Friday, after I get out of school, I get the R188 going to Manhattan. When I get to Grand Central to take the downtown (6) , I get the R62A <6> (The train was signed up as <6> even with diamonds on the LED's going downtown). I can see the (6) being a problem with the signs in the future... Already seeing the sign saying <6> to E 177 - Parkchester. 

The other morning I got an R62A with the front sign showing the local bullet, the first five cars signed for Pelham Bay Park with LED circles, the last five cars signed for Parkchester with LED diamonds, and an express diamond bullet at the end. Go figure.

All Passengers have to do is pay attention to when ever it says a (6) is entering the station wether it will go to Parkchester or Pelham Bay pk , but conducters should pay more attention to how they have the Leds set up.

Edited by R62AR33