SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another subway surfer gets hurt. I mean really, sorry to say but in this case that was simply stupid for him to do that. Regardless I wish him a safe recovery despite the moronic stunt he performed that nearly got him killed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/brooklyn-subway-surfer-smacks-head-steel-beam-article-1.1506946

If he wants to surf trains he should play that game subway surf :) Edited by College Pt Man

Old news, but saw an interesting sight on the (F) last evening and forgot to post. Was on an R46 going local on the viaduct and saw an R160 pass us (in service, passengers and all) on the express track between Smith-9 and 4 Av. I saw a service change about some (F) and (G) trains being sent express south of Smith-9 that evening before getting on the (F), but I guess they switched one back at Jay. Not often you see two in-service (F) trains on the viaduct side-by-side local-express like that. By not often I mean basically never.

Edited by Culver

The r143 looks like an R160 abd R142 mated and created the r143

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk now Free

The R143 has an almost identical body to the R160, but have R142A features, such as propulsion, door chime, and door motors (of which they might replace with the R188 door motors (which are very similar to the R160) as they've been doing on the R142As on the (6) ). 

____

There really needs to be a Railfan dictionary..

Railfan Logic (N) When a new piece of equipment runs in service, everyone goes after it until the old equipment is almost gone, then miss the old equipment and regret riding the new equipment in the first place.

Example: Fans going after the R188, and then eventually realizing the R62As are gone and are now stuck with the R188s.

I had to :P .

I'm late to the party as usual, but I just noticed the clusterf**k on the FIND boards after the last update. So who at the agency got ripped a new a**hole for that? How does that even happen and nobody notice?

Yeah tell me about it, I mean look at this crazyness:

wha_zps369b9b5b.jpg

You read my mind, I took that pic yesterday!

I'm late to the party as usual, but I just noticed the clusterf**k on the FIND boards after the last update. So who at the agency got ripped a new a**hole for that? How does that even happen and nobody notice?

No No they're accurate! You didn't know there were connections to the 1-2-3 and L trains all over the place?  :rolleyes:

UM58fZp.jpg

I also like that even the Queens Plaza transfers are wrong, showing instead Weekend service at Roosevelt Av. 

Anyway - I do think it's plausible for this to have happened without anyone noticing. As I understand it, the FIND displays have to be programed by the vendor (E.G. alstom/kawasaki [alskaw?]) and the programming is done via FLOPPY DISK. Point is, if someone in an office somewhere made a defective find program, or even the floppy disk got damaged, it's conceivable for the program to have been loaded on multiple trainsets without a huge issue like this being noticed. Not for nothing - before recently the R160 (R) train Find program was hardly ever used. 

In any event, I think the blame lies with the vendor not anyone at the agency in particular - although there's plenty of blame to spare for the agency not properly overseeing the vendor's work. 

No No they're accurate! You didn't know there were connections to the 1-2-3 and L trains all over the place?  :rolleyes:

UM58fZp.jpg

I also like that even the Queens Plaza transfers are wrong, showing instead Weekend service at Roosevelt Av. 

Anyway - I do think it's plausible for this to have happened without anyone noticing. As I understand it, the FIND displays have to be programed by the vendor (E.G. alstom/kawasaki [alskaw?]) and the programming is done via FLOPPY DISK. Point is, if someone in an office somewhere made a defective find program, or even the floppy disk got damaged, it's conceivable for the program to have been loaded on multiple trainsets without a huge issue like this being noticed. Not for nothing - before recently the R160 (R) train Find program was hardly ever used. 

In any event, I think the blame lies with the vendor not anyone at the agency in particular - although there's plenty of blame to spare for the agency not properly overseeing the vendor's work. 

It's not isolated to only the R-line programs. The N also has this problem, though with the Kew Gardens transfers showing up all over the place.

Courtesy: BrianMercy1022

Regardless of whose fault this is, it's just another example of nobody checking something over before it's sent out. I'm just hoping this is fixed when the AAS is updated for the B44 Select Bus Service.

I've seen a lot of that as well. The( F) showed a transfer to the (A) at every stop.

I'm going to make written notes on this during my travels or/and more pics as the situations in my commute permits.

I mean as itmaybeokay has stated: A floppy? Are you guys serious? Not a thumbdrive for program updates ? There's a huge margin for error here with magnetic and physical damage on those portable storage mediums that can attribute to this FIND glitch being experienced with all the route programs it seems at this point from the posts I am reading. If not poor supervision and lack of oversight in regards to the scripts made for the program updates.

Edited by realizm

I'm going to make written notes on this during my travels or/and more pics as the situations in my commute permits.

I mean as itmaybeokay has stated: A floppy? Are you guys serious? Not a thumbdrive for program updates ? There's a huge margin for error here with magnetic and physical damage on those portable storage mediums that can attribute to this FIND glitch being experienced with all the route programs it seems at this point from the posts I am reading. If not poor supervision and lack of oversight in regards to the scripts made for the program updates.

I doubt they're using floppy discs for this. At least I hope they're not. Where would you find a computer with a floppy drive nowadays anyhow?

Oddly enough, there is an interesting constant in all of these errors. The erroneous transfer listings are either from different lines or from reroutes on the chosen line. The 14 St-6 Av transfers come from the (F) line, the Union Tpke transfers come from the (R) to 179 St option Meanwhile, as N6 Limited stated, the transfers shown on the (F) option come from either the (C) or (E) lines. There is also the numerous reports of the "(N) to Manhattan" appearing at Coney Island on the (N) options. That obviously comes from the (N) via West End option.

Like I said, hopefully this is fixed sooner rather than later because frankly, this is just ridiculous.

Someone must have been smoking, jizzing their pants to some fantasy, or just did this for shits and giggles...

photo_zps9392d5bb.jpg

EDIT: I found another one, at Coney Island

photo_zpsd170f4f7.jpg

Haha, with all of the data GIS technicians deal with, there is some room for error. This is google maps right? If you want to edit a point with them btw... the process is stupid and insane. I dropped out of editing with them because of the politics. 

I doubt they're using floppy discs for this. At least I hope they're not. Where would you find a computer with a floppy drive nowadays anyhow?

Oddly enough, there is an interesting constant in all of these errors. The erroneous transfer listings are either from different lines or from reroutes on the chosen line. The 14 St-6 Av transfers come from the (F) line, the Union Tpke transfers come from the (R) to 179 St option Meanwhile, as N6 Limited stated, the transfers shown on the (F) option come from either the (C) or (E) lines. There is also the numerous reports of the "(N) to Manhattan" appearing at Coney Island on the (N) options. That obviously comes from the (N) via West End option.

Like I said, hopefully this is fixed sooner rather than later because frankly, this is just ridiculous.

Many medical computers still use floppies. Or atleast I've heard.

Haha, with all of the data GIS technicians deal with, there is some room for error. This is google maps right? If you want to edit a point with them btw... the process is stupid and insane. I dropped out of editing with them because of the politics. 

Many medical computers still use floppies. Or atleast I've heard.

I hope not either, but yes there are still companies out there that specializes in the building of legacy devices such as floppy disk drives in case ones currently installed in desktop units fails. This why its possible (unbeliebveable as it sounds) that techs are updating the FIND programs using floppy disks. Ineffiency is the norm here in the MTA with notable exceptions as seen here in this phase of the ongoing discussion.

I hope not either, but yes there are still companies out there that specializes in the building of legacy devices such as floppy disk drives in case ones currently installed in desktop units fails. This why its possible (unbeliebveable as it sounds) that techs are updating the FIND programs using floppy disks. Ineffiency is the norm here in the MTA with notable exceptions as seen here in this phase of the ongoing discussion.

Yeah i see the inefficiencies. I wouldnt say its just the norm with the MTA however ;)