SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

16 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

If only when the WTC was being built in 1966 (or after 9/11 in 2001) they looked to connect the Montague line to the the 8th Avenue local tracks between Chambers and Cortlandt.  

I know you have an issue with the spatial constraints of engineering... but seriously, that was never going to be an option. 

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I know you have an issue with the spatial constraints of engineering... but seriously, that was never going to be an option. 

Yeah, Obviously when the IND was built they were not going to do that, but with unification they could have while the WTC was originally being built or after 9/11 rebuilt is something they could have considered doing (while keeping a connection to the Broadway Line).  It would have opened up a ton of flexibility if they had been able to do it but I suspect it was never even thought of at the time.  

1 hour ago, IAlam said:

So apparently someone tagged an entire 11 R188 train that sitting in Corona Yard right now, the fact they were able to spray every car without getting caught is insane to me. 

Someone obviously was not monitoring stuff they should have been.  

8 hours ago, Wallyhorse said:

It would have opened up a ton of flexibility if they had been able to do it but I suspect it was never even thought of at the time.  

No, it wouldn’t have. Because what you consider flexibility isn’t what we consider flexibility.

You know… I seem to recall one of your past suggestions… to demolish Fulton Street on the crosstown line, and build a track connection to Dekalb Avenue, to give the G line a Manhattan option… aside from all its other flaws, your plan called for the sacrifice of the connection between the Brighton Line and the Montague tunnel.

A connection that is often used when there are issues or construction on the bridge.

the only way it would be physically possible to connect the IND to the BMT near the World Trade Center would be to demolish cortlandt street and permanently sever the line from City hall, forcing all Broadway service over the bridge. Meaning if the bridge needed to be closed for extended periods, you have severed the Broadway line from Brooklyn, creating LESS flexibility.

you don’t know where the pipes are, where the building foundations are. The exact spatial arrangements of the infrastructure .

11 hours ago, IAlam said:

So apparently someone tagged an entire 11 R188 train that sitting in Corona Yard right now, the fact they were able to spray every car without getting caught is insane to me. 

Update it was not one train but 2 entire 11 car trains that were tagged. I have pics of both but I’m not going through the hassle of posting them here.

11 hours ago, IAlam said:

Our Laws are lax, So they'll keep on doing it until our local officials change things. It's crazy since 2016 how subway cars started getting tagged a lot more often than before.

The Cortlandt Street connection is a mediocre transfer to the (E) train and a terrible transfer to just about everything else in the complex. Swapping Cortlandt Street out for City Hall would seem like a better idea in the plans. Geographically, they naturally form a cluster, having the closest distances between platforms by bounding volume and by their center points.

It’s still not the highest priority nitpick though. If you were able to board the (R)(W) at any Financial District station, you could have also gotten on the (1) for the (2)(3) or (4)(5) for the (A)(C) or stayed on the (R) to Queens Plaza for the (E). Towards Brooklyn, the same transfer options are equally covered by Court Street/Borough Hall ((2)(3)(R)), Jay Street–MetroTech ((A)(C)(R)), and Atlantic Avenue–Barclays Center ((2)(3)(R)).

5 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Our Laws are lax, So they'll keep on doing it until our local officials change things. It's crazy since 2016 how subway cars started getting tagged a lot more often than before.

Is it our laws or the safety procedures that lead to this?

Are the security staff members track safety certified? Because rule Rule Numero UNO... you don't go NEAR the tracks without a valid track safety card on your personage. 

and since the vandals just don't care... this where we end up. 

and on top of that... what is there to change? people are going to pull this kinda crap even if you made graffiti a capital offense. 

23 minutes ago, R179 8258 said:

With the (G) project wrapped up anybody know what’s next for the line ? When should CBTC be active on that line ? 

2027 - which means expect another series of closures in the coming summers

Edited by darkstar8983

8 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

NYCT Museum is having an inaugural vintage train ride using the Lo-V subway cars celebrating 120 years of the subway. Tickets are on sale now. October 27th and November 16th both morning and afternoon rides. It would also loop through the old city hall station.

Convenient for them the 27th is a Saturday. 

After they discharge from the first trip the train has to run light up to Grand Central to cross over to head back down to South Ferry Loop for the second trip. Might get a little dicey trying to slot that around roads…

14 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

Convenient for them the 27th is a Saturday. After they discharge from the first trip the train has to run light up to Grand Central to cross over to head back down to South Ferry Loop for the second trip. Might get a little dicey trying to slot that around roads…

I was thinking they would be using the 59th Street pocket to turn.

16 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

After they discharge from the first trip the train has to run light up to Grand Central to cross over to head back down to South Ferry Loop for the second trip. Might get a little dicey trying to slot that around roads…

The 27th is a Sunday.

17 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

It would make more sense to run the train up to the 59th Street spur on the (6) in my opinion. That would allow the crews the opportunity to take a comfort relief at GC and let the operator or the supervisor change ends and wait for a lineup to go south. When there’s an opening for the train to go south they can pick up the whole crew at GC and go on their merry way. Just speculation on my part. Carry on.

41 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

It would make more sense to run the train up to the 59th Street spur on the (6) in my opinion. That would allow the crews the opportunity to take a comfort relief at GC and let the operator or the supervisor change ends and wait for a lineup to go south. When there’s an opening for the train to go south they can pick up the whole crew at GC and go on their merry way. Just speculation on my part. Carry on.

That is of course assuming there is no GO.

the crew can also comfort down at the Ferry if need be before their second trip. It’s not a fancy place but there is a fair deal of stuff upstairs in the ferry terminal itself, including a Wendy’s and a Dunkin.

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

So there’s an image swirling around about a 160s gearbox flying off, while going 50 MPH on QBL, how do we feel about that?

Apparently there was four sets laid up in Briarwood that lost air suspension and that's why the (E)(F) are running local. I saw a video and the cars sunk a good few feet.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

Apparently there was four sets laid up in Briarwood that lost air suspension and that's why the (E)(F) are running local. I saw a video and the cars sunk a good few feet.

I saw the video too. I didn’t even know the 160’s could bounce up and down like that (although it looks like its not supposed to) Looks like the air was draining and the airbags looked a bit off.

2 hours ago, NBTA said:

So there’s an image swirling around about a 160s gearbox flying off, while going 50 MPH on QBL, how do we feel about that?

Someone in Car Equipment either at Jamaica Yard or CIY is gonna fall under investigation if that turns out to be true.