SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

10 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Not sure, but they mentioned in the video that they were looking at a a major reorganization of lines through the junction that was supposed to save times for all trips

"Major reorganization of lines through the junction," yeah that right there sounds like they're going with the Red 8 plan. Lazy, but to be fair, if the MTA were to go ahead with reconstruction, they'd need to cut service to both New lots and Flatbush for a good 5 years given how slow the MTA has been with a lot of things along with other factors involved that slowed the process.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Vulturious said:

"Major reorganization of lines through the junction," yeah that right there sounds like they're going with the Red 8 plan. Lazy, but to be fair, if the MTA were to go ahead with reconstruction, they'd need to cut service to both New lots and Flatbush for a good 5 years given how slow the MTA has been with a lot of things along with other factors involved that slowed the process.

Yeah, hearing that in a meeting along with the 20 year assessment makes it sound like it's being considered. I wonder if they'll use the (9) designation instead though since the (8) is green on the R62/As and a (9) via 7th Av program already exists on the R142/As.

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Lazy, but to be fair, if the MTA were to go ahead with reconstruction, they'd need to cut service to both New lots and Flatbush for a good 5 years given how slow the MTA has been with a lot of things along with other factors involved that slowed the process.

I personally think they should just add new switches between Franklin Avenue and Nostrand Avenue to allow for Lexington Avenue trains to serve the local stations east of there without conflicting with 7th Avenue trains, while all 7th Avenue trains run via Nostrand Avenue. This would be a lot easier than an extensive reconstruction that would take years to complete and require cutting service on both the New Lots and Nostrand Avenue lines for however long it takes.

3 hours ago, Vulturious said:

1 hour ago, slantfan4281 said:

Yeah, hearing that in a meeting along with the 20 year assessment makes it sound like it's being considered. I wonder if they'll use the (9) designation instead though since the (8) is green on the R62/As and a (9) via 7th Av program already exists on the R142/As.

If they do go this route, I can definitely see them trying to use it to gut service to/from Lenox Terminal outside of the (5)'s current Brooklyn hours (used as reference to basically say that (3) service would be limited to a specific duration on weekdays, much like the (B) and (W)).

2 minutes ago, TrainGamingKing9928 said:

I personally think they should just add new switches between Franklin Avenue and Nostrand Avenue to allow for Lexington Avenue trains to serve the local stations east of there without conflicting with 7th Avenue trains, while all 7th Avenue trains run via Nostrand Avenue. This would be a lot easier than an extensive reconstruction that would take years to complete and require cutting service on both the New Lots and Nostrand Avenue lines for however long it takes.

Great. Not only would that eat into the (3)'s usefulness (see my previous post for what I anticipate coming from trying, albeit with a possible bump in (2) service from every 8 minutes to every 6 instead), but I can only hope you don't also support feeding Utica Avenue into Eastern Parkway, or you'd be doing a major disservice to those on that alignment.

16 hours ago, JustTheSIR said:

Were there always switches in the Steinway tubes?

Yes. Underneath 1st Avenue in Manhattan actually.

10 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

The (8) and (9) Designations shown on the R-62/62A’s wouldn’t matter anymore when they can just reprogram the NTT’s and cause the former are on their way out the door anyways

4 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

Yes. Underneath 1st Avenue in Manhattan actually.

The (8) and (9) Designations shown on the R-62/62A’s wouldn’t matter anymore when they can just reprogram the NTT’s and cause the former are on their way out the door anyways

Well it depends on where the new service runs from. If it's from Wakefield it'll use NTTs but if it runs from 148th it'll probably use Livonia yard and thus have to use R62s. 

12 hours ago, Lex said:

If they do go this route, I can definitely see them trying to use it to gut service to/from Lenox Terminal outside of the (5)'s current Brooklyn hours (used as reference to basically say that (3) service would be limited to a specific duration on weekdays, much like the (B) and (W)).

If they run it from Wakefield they'll probably have to cut (3) service a good amount, but if they run it from 148th I guess it would just be sending some (3) trips to Flatbush and some to New Lots while the (2) is unchanged 

I’ve only got a vague recollection of what this plan is, but isn’t it just deinterlining Brooklyn and then assigning new bullets to routes that’ll be doing new combinations of terminals?

3 hours ago, CenSin said:

I’ve only got a vague recollection of what this plan is, but isn’t it just deinterlining Brooklyn and then assigning new bullets to routes that’ll be doing new combinations of terminals?

The 20 year needs assessment suggested the (2) being unchanged, the (3) to Flatbush, the (4) unchanged, the (5) being rerouted to New Lots (skipping Nostrand Av and Kingston Av), and a new (8) line on 7th Av to New Lots (not sure what the northern terminal would be).

I think it would make more sense to terminate the (5) at Utica and run the (4) to New Lots since the (8) seemed to be a weekday only service and sending the (4) to New Lots wouldn't require sending the (5) to Brooklyn over the weekend. They probably don't want to add new diamond crossovers between Rogers Junction and Nostrand Av, but if they did, they wouldn't have to run the (8) at all and could just have the (4) replace the (3) past Franklin as it already does overnight.

2 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

and a new (8) line on 7th Av to New Lots (not sure what the northern terminal would be).

Wakefield-241st Street is the Northern Terminal with New Lots being the Southern Terminal 

12 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

Well it depends on where the new service runs from. If it's from Wakefield it'll use NTTs but if it runs from 148th it'll probably use Livonia yard and thus have to use R62s. 

148th doesn’t matter because it doesn’t have a maintenance/shop facility. Livonia and 240th on the other hand need an upgrade and the reason I’m saying R-62’s wouldn’t matter is because they’re about to retire anyways.

2 hours ago, slantfan4281 said:

The 20 year needs assessment suggested the (2) being unchanged, the (3) to Flatbush, the (4) unchanged, the (5) being rerouted to New Lots (skipping Nostrand Av and Kingston Av), and a new (8) line on 7th Av to New Lots (not sure what the northern terminal would be).

I think it would make more sense to terminate the (5) at Utica and run the (4) to New Lots since the (8) seemed to be a weekday only service and sending the (4) to New Lots wouldn't require sending the (5) to Brooklyn over the weekend. They probably don't want to add new diamond crossovers between Rogers Junction and Nostrand Av, but if they did, they wouldn't have to run the (8) at all and could just have the (4) replace the (3) past Franklin as it already does overnight.

That proposed 8 is an expansion of the (2) to New Lots Avenue (assuming Utica Avenue isn't built). I'm not convinced it would be limited to weekdays, either, particularly if Utica Avenue is built. After all, not only would it be serving the Bronx (something the (3) doesn't do) with easy access to storage and especially maintenance facilities, but it would nominally obviate the need to dedicate daytime Lexington Avenue resources to the local stations. Chances are, they'd have this run either to Nereid Avenue or 241 Street (likely the latter with (2) put-ins/drop-outs at Nereid Avenue or Gun Hill Road).

During (L) train GOs, the (M) gets extended to 96 St-2 Av (or elsewhere past Essex St towards midtown) and shuttle buses run in a loop between Bedford Av, Marcy Av, Hewes St, and Lorimer St.

why doesn’t the loop shuttle bus also run when the (J) doesn’t run between Hewes St / Marcy Av and Manhattan? Instead, the buses cross the bridge (which due to traffic conditions can be quite unreliable). I understand providing connecting service between Essex St and Brooklyn, but it seems the connection is only provided for the (J) closure but for the (L) closure people going between 1 Av and Brooklyn have to take the (M) and then switch to the loop bus.

34 minutes ago, Kamen Rider said:

Math, partly. The L has much higher ridership 

Ohh okay. Was just thinking from a logistic standpoint to have people on the (J) shuttled to the (L) train at Lorimer St to go into Manhattan and switch to the lower Manhattan trains at 8 Av, 6 Av, or Union Square, but that’s just my two cents

https://abc7ny.com/post/subway-crime-nyc-mta-worker-arrested-charged-filing-false-police-report-after-subway-slashing-claims/15140439/

MTA worker slashed himself, lied about being attacked on F train in Queens, police say

An MTA worker slashed himself and lied to police when he claimed he'd been attacked on the subway, authorities said Saturday.

Henry Herring, 54, is charged with filing a false police report.

Herring, who works as a cleaner, told police that he was attacked and slashed by a homeless person on southbound F train at the Jamaica-179th Street early Wednesday.

He claimed he raised his hands to protect his face when he was attacked, ending up with slashed hands. He also had slash wounds to the chest.

A police investigation revealed that Herring slashed himself and made up the story about the attack.

The MTA said it takes these sorts of claims very seriously.

"Assaults on MTA employees are a real issue and the NYPD has made real progress identifying and capturing perpetrators. What's alleged in this case is beyond disappointing, pulling resources from investigations of actual crimes, while undermining confidence in safety of the transit system," Tim Minton, MTA Communications Director, told Eyewitness News.

The MTA said Herring is being suspended without pay, "pending review for appropriate further action."

23 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Ohh okay. Was just thinking from a logistic standpoint to have people on the (J) shuttled to the (L) train at Lorimer St to go into Manhattan and switch to the lower Manhattan trains at 8 Av, 6 Av, or Union Square, but that’s just my two cents

When I was new an a extra  { had to call in } I hated it when I had to work the token booths on the J and L ,especially the J. Nobody paid their fare ,actually

worst today, back in the day cops would ticket fare beaters/turnstile jumpers or take them in if they had a record.

On 7/31/2024 at 12:18 AM, Kamen Rider said:

So the ERA newsletter Calvin shared suggested they’re demolishing the old Marcy Avenue tower…

if they are doing it… they’re moving at an absolute snail’s pace.

so far, to my “passes that thing multiple times a day” eye, all they’ve done is take the door off the bottom floor.

i am off the next three days (bereavement leave, my grandmother passed on Saturday), this weekend, there is another GO cutting service back to Hewes… like last weekend…

if the tower looks exactly the same on Monday as it did today, I am seriously calling that report into question…

I'm sorry for your loss!

I use to work with a subway station supervisor out of the 7th ave station on the F line in Brooklyn ,there was a smileys pizza on the corner if I remember correctly. 

He was a tall guy red hair , Robert ,very nice Polish guy, I always wondered if he retired or if he is still working there as he was a workaholic. There were 2 woman out of that office also .I left the MTA after a few years and he stayed on. He was a good guy, we did lunch together ,always thought he worked too hard. He taught me the ropes, but I moved on and started a new job somewhere else due to the MTA screwing me over and now retired myself .

I always wondered what happened to him .

18 minutes ago, randomnewyorker23 said:

why are they trying to deinterline the IRT lines in Brooklyn, when Broadway/DeKalb needs the most attention

The junction north of DeKalb Avenue get much less traffic than the one east of Franklin Avenue. Trains don’t even cross other trains there; they merge.