SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

How come the (J)(Z) trains have been going local from Marcy to Myrtle lately ?

It's to make the connection for the (G) since they're allowing out-of-system transfers again. Why that makes any sense, I do not know why.

• Replies 31k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Vulturious said:
1 hour ago, Maxwell179 said:

How come the (J)(Z) trains have been going local from Marcy to Myrtle lately ?

It's to make the connection for the (G) since they're allowing out-of-system transfers again. Why that makes any sense, I do not know why.

With all the rain forecast daily this summer and the high temperatures, I doubt anyone would want to make the trek for a three-blocks-long, out-of-system transfer.

Speaking for myself, but I’d rather take a longer detour on an air conditioned train than spend any more time in the heat for a shorter commute.

On 7/9/2024 at 7:14 PM, CenSin said:

With all the rain forecast daily this summer and the high temperatures, I doubt anyone would want to make the trek for a three-blocks-long, out-of-system transfer.

Speaking for myself, but I’d rather take a longer detour on an air conditioned train than spend any more time in the heat for a shorter commute.

That and the (G) isn’t even running past Bedford-Nostrand so what would sending the (J) local do ?

14 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

That and the (G) isn’t even running past Bedford-Nostrand so what would sending the (J) local do ?

For people in the area that depend on the (G) and now have to walk to the (J)(M) will now have access to (J)(M) and(Z) trains instead of just the (M)

14 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is it anytime something goes haywire on the subway it’s somehow the direct fault of congestion pricing getting cancelled? Can we stop with the fear mongering??? Good lord.

Yeah it's getting annoying at this point, It's not even canceled. The governor just delayed it which imo was the right choice.

20 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Why is it anytime something goes haywire on the subway it’s somehow the direct fault of congestion pricing getting cancelled? Can we stop with the fear mongering??? Good lord.

I think correcting the farebeating issue is a more important thing to focus on versus congestion pricing. Penalize and hold accountable the ones who don’t care and think it’s okay to just get on buses and trains without paying. Most of these people as I’ve stated in the past aren’t as poor as they like you to think, but rather are irresponsible. They have no problem buying a $1000+ iPhone, liquor and a bunch of other things but can’t chalk up $2.90 and pay the fare. I do acknowledge that there are folks out there that are really struggling to make ends meet, but that certainly isn’t the majority of farebeaters.

I myself am annoyed at the notion that congestion pricing will solve a vast majority of issues with transit without taking into account other factors that affect transit such as politics, corruption and mismanagement. It is no secret that the (MTA) has been mismanaged for years and who is to say that’s going to stop anytime soon. A good portion of the tunnels for the 2nd phase of the Second Ave line are already built yet the cost is still super high. I hope I’m not the only one who feels this way, but isn’t it kind of backwards to charge drivers (many who have no interest in riding public transit or find it inconvenient for their purposes) a fee to come into the city which said money would go to the MTA to fund various transit projects yet it’s okay to give a free pass to a large portion of people who actually utilize the system on a daily basis. 

5 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I think correcting the farebeating issue is a more important thing to focus on versus congestion pricing. Penalize and hold accountable the ones who don’t care and think it’s okay to just get on buses and trains without paying. Most of these people as I’ve stated in the past aren’t as poor as they like you to think, but rather are irresponsible. They have no problem buying a $1000+ iPhone, liquor and a bunch of other things but can’t chalk up $2.90 and pay the fare. I do acknowledge that there are folks out there that are really struggling to make ends meet, but that certainly isn’t the majority of farebeaters.

I myself am annoyed at the notion that congestion pricing will solve a vast majority of issues with transit without taking into account other factors that affect transit such as politics, corruption and mismanagement. It is no secret that the (MTA) has been mismanaged for years and who is to say that’s going to stop anytime soon. A good portion of the tunnels for the 2nd phase of the Second Ave line are already built yet the cost is still super high. I hope I’m not the only one who feels this way, but isn’t it kind of backwards to charge drivers (many who have no interest in riding public transit or find it inconvenient for their purposes) a fee to come into the city which said money would go to the MTA to fund various transit projects yet it’s okay to give a free pass to a large portion of people who actually utilize the system on a daily basis. 

That last part is exactly why I was against it.

On 7/13/2024 at 4:14 AM, Lawrence St said:

Yeah, even as a supporter of congestion pricing, the overblowing of the issues is pretty silly lol. Like people spreading the R211s base order and OO1 geting canned rumor etc.

11 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

I hope I’m not the only one who feels this way, but isn’t it kind of backwards to charge drivers (many who have no interest in riding public transit or find it inconvenient for their purposes) a fee to come into the city which said money would go to the MTA to fund various transit projects yet it’s okay to give a free pass to a large portion of people who actually utilize the system on a daily basis.

This is my opinion so feel free to disagree but, iirc a lot of the drivers coming into the city are usually suburbanites from NJ, LI etc. As someone that lives within the NYC borders and of course, take transit and walk around, I also think its kind of backwards to force lots of pedestrians to deal with the noise, pollution and dangers that comes with filling the city with cars. Especially when cars (and especially light trucks that are popular recently) takes up a disproportionate amount of space, forcing pedestrians and transit users onto small crowded sidewalks. If certain drivers really wants to drive their oversized SUV and pickup trucks into the city so badly, at the cost of the majority of New Yorkers who walk, bike or take transit, then honestly they kinda deserve to pay the $15 toll lmao. Yes, i know not everyone can use public transport, isn't easily available, etc. But I'm pretty sure theres proposed programs or exemptions that can reduce the toll for those who actually truly needs to, or has a good reason to drive into the city.

As for the farebeating issue, yeah that definitly is an issue that needs solving, and what you said about many farebeaters being irresponsible is so damn true lol. The MTA needs to roll out those newer gates ASAP, the current outdated turnstyles have always been asking to be jumped over or ducked under.  The mismanagement and corruption also rings true too of course but ig thats another massive can of worms to deal with.

1 hour ago, ArchytectAnthony said:

Yeah, even as a supporter of congestion pricing, the overblowing of the issues is pretty silly lol. Like people spreading the R211s base order and OO1 geting canned rumor etc.

This is my opinion so feel free to disagree but, iirc a lot of the drivers coming into the city are usually suburbanites from NJ, LI etc. As someone that lives within the NYC borders and of course, take transit and walk around, I also think its kind of backwards to force lots of pedestrians to deal with the noise, pollution and dangers that comes with filling the city with cars. Especially when cars (and especially light trucks that are popular recently) takes up a disproportionate amount of space, forcing pedestrians and transit users onto small crowded sidewalks. If certain drivers really wants to drive their oversized SUV and pickup trucks into the city so badly, at the cost of the majority of New Yorkers who walk, bike or take transit, then honestly they kinda deserve to pay the $15 toll lmao. Yes, i know not everyone can use public transport, isn't easily available, etc. But I'm pretty sure theres proposed programs or exemptions that can reduce the toll for those who actually truly needs to, or has a good reason to drive into the city.

As for the farebeating issue, yeah that definitly is an issue that needs solving, and what you said about many farebeaters being irresponsible is so damn true lol. The MTA needs to roll out those newer gates ASAP, the current outdated turnstyles have always been asking to be jumped over or ducked under.  The mismanagement and corruption also rings true too of course but ig thats another massive can of worms to deal with.

I fully disagree on several reasons:

For one the system is riddled with crime. Employees getting assaulted, passengers getting assaulted, and with little to no push for a more ordered subway from officials, I refuse to ride it.

Two, numerous employees drive into the “congestion” zone to get to work, and aren’t exempted from the toll. This is why TWU 100 was against it IIRC.

Three, the congestion that they state is “clogging” out streets isn’t there anymore. The report is pre-COVID which has drastically changed how a lot of people commute to/from work. If anything, the only “congestion” occurring is from large avenues that have gone from having six lanes to two lanes over the over-exaggerated vision zero program, which will also get worse with these 10 mph speed limits they're proposing in certain areas.

Four, it’s disrespectful to charge someone to drive in their own neighborhood. If Congestion Pricing ever goes through, the congestion zone will basically become the next sea gate as a gated community.

Five, most of this opposition is coming from people who use the FDR to access Queens Brooklyn, SI and LI, which wil have drastic increases in commute time as the Queensboro Bridge will now be tolled, and everyone will be forced to go via the Brooklyn Bridge, which already is down a lane.

2411-2415 was back in service on the (1) . 2415 has its marks shown in appearence 

* This is just a recap for the post 96 St derailment R62A movement: All cars: 2206-10, 2271-5, 2177-2180 has been back in service but, 4 cars are unused from its current fleet for passenger service (2176 was replaced with 1934) and that are the single units (1924, 1926, 1938 and 1960). 

Edited by Calvin

Seeing the (5) to Burnside Av is interesting with the use of R142As. Although, its downside is seeing subway surfers climbing on the train in motion (most are at 167 St). It's getting ridicious nowadays. 

Edited by Calvin

31 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Seeing the (5) to Burnside Av is interesting with the use of R142As. Although, its downside is seeing subway surfers climbing on the train in motion (most are at 167 St). It's getting ridiculous nowadays. 

They're daredevils alright; I surprisingly didn't see any 5 trains to Burnside while there were a multitude of 4 trains coming uptown back to back today. I ended up getting on a Kawasaki R142 4 train on my way home instead. There were also R142s that were sent out on the 5 to Burnside from what the 4 normally uses.

Edited by 4 via Mosholu

On 11/4/2018 at 6:29 PM, MHV9218 said:

Pre-1960s was basically hand-stenciled signs in a font specific to the IND and NYCTS system that they never named, with hand-lettered sticker signs coming up in the 1960s. There was never a name for the block letters in the 1960s, though a lot of the rollsigns are set in TRANSIGN's old alphabet. Once Vignelli and Unimark arrived, 1966-1988ish you were looking at Akzidenz Grotesk BQ ("Standard") set in Medium for almost everything. Sometimes the Condensed version was used on rollsigns. 1974-1978 maps were set in Trade Gothic. Mid-1980s came Helvetica and Impact for narrow station signs, and by 1988 it was, like you said, Helvetica.

From various catalogues they printed, Transign's house font was called "Transign Standard."  It happens to be my favorite.  (Never cared for Teleweld's or Trans-Lite's versions.)  They had about five or six widths - Extended, Regular, Condensed, Extra Condensed and Ultra Condensed.  Plus apparently, on one size, Extra Ultra Condensed (i.e. as used to spell out 'HUDSON TERM'L' on destination roll signs of R-32's and R-38's).  I'm surprised no-one has sought to do a digital version of those typefaces.

The roll signs created by Transign in April 1969 with the colored routes for use on the top right side of the front of R-16's/32's/38's, used their own in-house type (regular for most routes except 'MM' used the condensed).  The ones with Standard Medium in that whole layout were from July 1969, struck by Trans-Lite.

And B.T.W., on the subway maps from 1974-78, it wasn't Trade Gothic - it was News Gothic.  The bold on Trade Gothic (a Linotype font) was never used; apparently they used a phototypesetting system from Harris Corporation using type derived from old Intertype 'faces - including News Gothic with Bold.  I know the difference between the two, for sure.  One is in the 'Q' of the regular weight.

Can the (D) train still use the Culver line if they need to start service at Broadway-Layfayette St next month? I ask this because of the Culver line is getting close to be fully CBTC with the (G) line soon. 

41 minutes ago, Calvin said:

Can the (D) train still use the Culver line if they need to start service at Broadway-Layfayette St next month? I ask this because of the Culver line is getting close to be fully CBTC with the (G) line soon. 

I think the Culver Express track will still be available to move (D) trains up and down, and the signaling system can be turned off during weekends where the (D) and (F) switch routes in Brooklyn. Just because CBTC is on donesnt mean that an occasional non-CBTC train can travel thru it. - garbage trains, that time the (N) was rerouted to 71 Av due to an issue in Astoria. Again, it’s not ideal because CBTC-active trains have to operate carefully around the non-CBTC train. It also helps that Culver is not as busy as Flushing or Queens Blvd. 

Edited by darkstar8983

Or they could use R160s on the D for the weekend, although even on a weekend it would probably be disruptive to make the fleet available even if there are enough cars.

This is why I believe that the R68s will be retired sooner rather than later.  They'll be the last non CBTC cars.  Keeping them all on Broadway will not be enough of a reason to keep them around.

An individual train that is non-reporting can traverse CBTC territory very easily.

we literally do that every day with the refuse trains. 9 Pick Up is usually in the formula around the start of my shift at Continental every day. 

it’s when we get to situations Iike Tuesday, where basically everyone is forced down the culver line, is when problems start.

33 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why does that (D) even start at Bway-Laf?

Because there’s no room on 4 Av Local for the (D)(N)(R) after 6:30PM on weekdays due to work train movements for nighttime and weekend GOs. Then the (D)(N) have to merge with the (B)(Q) to get onto the Manhattan Bridge. Ironically this could be solved if the (N) is made fully local via lower Manhattan after 6:30PM but that would make trips even slower for (N) riders and make the (W) obsolete after 7PM, but it wouldn’t lead to schedule reductions on the 4 Av corridor, nor would it require (D) trains to run “light” thru Culver until Broadway Lafayette to start service. The (D)(N) are cut to every 12 minutes northbound after 6PM, but to accommodate riders in Manhattan reliant on the (D), they start some trains at Broadway-Lafayette St so they don’t get stuck in Brooklyn. As for the (N), currently the (W) helps out.

Edited by darkstar8983

Random question for folks out there.  I saw last month that Fair Fares was going to increase to 145% of income for this fiscal year.  However, the Fare Fares site hasn't been updated with new income guidelines yet.  Does anyone know when the change will actually take effect?

On 7/21/2024 at 12:13 PM, 7-express said:

Random question for folks out there.  I saw last month that Fair Fares was going to increase to 145% of income for this fiscal year.  However, the Fare Fares site hasn't been updated with new income guidelines yet.  Does anyone know when the change will actually take effect?

i'd like to know too

I happened to have a conversation with a friend/ coworker about the situation with the subway system and the problems they’re experiencing these days. I think that I posted something about it way back around Thanksgiving but neither of us ever recall anyone else mentioning the situation on the road in today’s environment. I’d like to point out that we were taught in school car that the equipment was usually not the sole reason for delays. Gotta remember that we are talking about the situation 40+ years ago in the IRT . Before Redbirds and before the R62 cars came on the scene. Track fires, signal problems, power outages ( especially BMT south) , and the usual sick customers. Every now and then we encountered the EDP folks or the space cadets that were high on whatever. Our instructors told us that most equipment problems could be resolved by the onboard train crews themselves so to us ( at least) much of what we read about the R46 “problem” seems to be exaggerated  It’s our opinion that if all of those cars were replaced by the R211 types there would be little or no change in the road operations. Look no further than the (MTA) info page and look at the cause of many delays. Signal problems, disorderly customers, people needing medical attention, policing issues, power outages, 12-9 situations and people on the roadbed between stations. We can’t leave out the “ network communication issues “ and there you have it. Today’s underground environment. To the R211 fans who can’t wait until they are omnipresent we experienced folks say get real and open your eyes. The situation seems to have gotten worse and like the R62-R68 class and the NTT introduction it’s not the equipment that’s causing the problems. Just our own thoughts. Feel free to disagree.  Carry on.