SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(MTA) just sent out a survey about the branching (A) and suggested improvements. 

Dear Valued MTA Customer, 

We are conducting a brief survey about the A train. If you have taken the A train toward JFK Airport or the Rockaways, please take five minutes to complete this survey. 

Improving your transit experience is a primary focus of our efforts here at the MTA, and your response to surveys like this one is key to us understanding and addressing your concerns. 

Please click the link below to take the brief survey. This survey will only take a few minutes.

Thank you, 

MTA Market Research 

Of course, the ideal plan would be (B)(D) on CPW local, (A)(C)(H) CPW Express or vice versa. (A) to Lefferts 8tph , (H) to Far Rockaway 8tph, (C) to Euclid 8tph.

And in a perfect world, the RBB line would run to Rockaway Park replacing the (SR).

Edited by TDL

5 minutes ago, TDL said:

(MTA) just sent out a survey about the branching (A) and suggested improvements. 

Of course, the ideal plan would be (B)(D) on CPW local, (A)(C)(H) CPW Express or vice versa. (A) to Lefferts 8tph , (H) to Far Rockaway 8tph, (C) to Euclid 8tph.

If Cranberry goes down between Jay and Canal, the backup service plan would have (A) trains local on Fulton, (H) express on Fulton, and run via the (F), with (C) service suspended.

If we go down between Jay and Lafayette/Nostrand, Utica would be the turnaround point

11 hours ago, TDL said:

Of course, the ideal plan would be (B)(D) on CPW local, (A)(C)(H) CPW Express

so then what stops at the upper level at 50th street?

11 hours ago, TDL said:

(A) to Lefferts 8tph , (H) to Far Rockaway 8tph, (C) to Euclid 8tph.

24 TPH through Cranberry... that feels like a disaster waiting to happen...

and we already have an H...

On 7/3/2024 at 11:47 AM, TDL said:

And in a perfect world, the RBB line would run to Rockaway Park replacing the (SR).

There is one small problem with the 8th Avenue express on CPW:

13 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

so then what stops at the upper level at 50th street?

And the other problem is those specifically looking for 50th Street.  You would likely need in this scenario for the (B) and (D) to be express while the (A) (C) (H) are all local.  Not sure that would sit well with those in extreme upper Manhattan.  Otherwise, with the 8th Avenue trains express, only the (E) would be stopping at 50th as a local and you would need to in that scenario take either the (B) or (D) to 7th Avenue-53rd Street and switch to the (E) for 50th, and for 23rd or Spring Street if on the (A) (C) or (H) getting off at 42nd for the (E) to 23rd or at 14th or West 4th for the (E) to Spring.  One advantage of this, however, is there would be no mergers south of 168th Street with the 8th Avenue lines merging there with the only merger the other way whichever of the (A) (C) (H) is local merging at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

13 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

24 TPH through Cranberry... that feels like a disaster waiting to happen...

and we already have an H...

And this is a big reason why I would be as part of the SAS (either separate from the main build or as a new Phase 5) where a connection from the Fulton Local tracks to via goes via a new lower level tunnel that would run below the Transit Museum with a new stop from Clinton to Court Streets on Schermerhorn and then (railroad north) make a left turn on Clinton to State Street and then via a new State Street tunnel to either South Ferry or Seaport with the line going the planned route to Chatham Square (doing some of Phase 4 as part of this) with Chatham Square likely four tracks and two platforms to serve at least as a temporary terminal.  This can be the (T) train running at least initially between Euclid and Chatham Square (extended late nights to Lefferts) with the (A) and (C) being express on Fulton and the (C) running to Lefferts (replaced by the (T) late nights) and the (A) running on a 4-3 split between Far Rockway and Rockaway Park with if necessary some (A) trains short-turning at Howard Beach.  

On 7/3/2024 at 7:08 AM, Calvin said:

The single units of the R62As: 1960, 1938 and 1924 are seen to be transferred to Corona Yard for refuse service. 

this might be a stupid question, but why use cars that are still usable for revenue service for trash trains? Do they only need 12 single cars for the shuttle and while the rest can't run combined as for 10 car trains?

41 minutes ago, slantfan4281 said:

this might be a stupid question, but why use cars that are still usable for revenue service for trash trains? Do they only need 12 single cars for the shuttle and while the rest can't run combined as for 10 car trains?

Two words:

air conditioning.

the purpose built work motors lack it.

1 hour ago, Wallyhorse said:
On 7/3/2024 at 11:47 AM, TDL said:

There is one small problem with the 8th Avenue express on CPW:

And the other problem is those specifically looking for 50th Street.  You would likely need in this scenario for the (B) and (D) to be express while the (A) (C) (H) are all local.  Not sure that would sit well with those in extreme upper Manhattan.  Otherwise, with the 8th Avenue trains express, only the (E) would be stopping at 50th as a local and you would need to in that scenario take either the (B) or (D) to 7th Avenue-53rd Street and switch to the (E) for 50th, and for 23rd or Spring Street if on the (A) (C) or (H) getting off at 42nd for the (E) to 23rd or at 14th or West 4th for the (E) to Spring.  One advantage of this, however, is there would be no mergers south of 168th Street with the 8th Avenue lines merging there with the only merger the other way whichever of the (A) (C) (H) is local merging at Hoyt-Schermerhorn.

At this point, the conversation would need to move to the Proposals chat. This isn't my place to say how service should be since I'm not, as Kamen Rider put it for someone else, "getting a check from the MTA." However, if I were asked what you could possibly do to improve service for the (A) and it's branching issues without any new infrastructure involved, a lot would have been changed.

I've spoken about this before in another chat and this is what I'd potentially do:

• (A) remains the same (bear with me on this)
  • (C) Norwood-205 St to Euclid Av, express in Manhattan, local in Brooklyn
  • (E) rerouted to Coney Island via Rutgers
  • (B) Forest Hills-71 Av to Brighton Beach via 63 St and QBL local
  • (D) 168 St to Coney Island (pre-2001 (B) routing basically)
  • (F) rerouted to WTC via 53 St and 6 Av local
  • (M) Bedford Park Blvd to Metropolitan Av via 8 Av

Benefits: The (A) only has to deal with the (C) and along a much longer stretch from 145 St to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts, Bronx riders keeps direct CPW express access, 50 St keeps direct CPW access, QBL gains Manhattan express service
Disadvantages: The (D) line gets shafted to run CPW local, QBL local loses a line to Queens Plaza

The (M) is a flexible line to which I doubt anyone would be angry about the lose of it going along QBL outside of foamers or as this forum calls them, buffs. Service throughout the week and the time of day still is something I need fixing, this ain't a permanent solution nor is it the only solution, just giving my 2 cents on.

Have fun with this one.

On 6/30/2024 at 5:07 PM, Calvin said:

I wonder if the (B) train will consider having platform conductors at Brighton Beach like the (N) (W) for now like Astoria-Ditmars Blvd in-case to double check which of their trains will go to Bedford Park Blvd during the midday hours. * Some trains may get scrolled to Harlem-145 St at that time. 

From what I saw during the winter pick (which lasted into the spring), platform conductors were assigned to Harlem 145 Street in the hour before the afternoon rush (between three and four) when the D would run express to sign B trains for Bedford Park. That didn't really used to be a thing until I took the B during that time period where I noticed that the top sign on the conductor car was different from the other ones.

At the moment, they still have the Harlem-145 Street reading on top on all trains (to Harlem 145 and Bedford Park); I don't really think it actually sunk in just yet, or they are yet to update the service signs making note of every other B serving Bedford Park (besides the 3 B's that somehow appeared in the timetable for them to bypass 182-183 Streets to go to Kingsbridge Road).

51 minutes ago, 4 via Mosholu said:

From what I saw during the winter pick (which lasted into the spring), platform conductors were assigned to Harlem 145 Street in the hour before the afternoon rush (between three and four) when the D would run express to sign B trains for Bedford Park. That didn't really used to be a thing until I took the B during that time period where I noticed that the top sign on the conductor car was different from the other ones.

At the moment, they still have the Harlem-145 Street reading on top on all trains (to Harlem 145 and Bedford Park); I don't really think it actually sunk in just yet, or they are yet to update the service signs making note of every other B serving Bedford Park (besides the 3 B's that somehow appeared in the timetable for them to bypass 182-183 Streets to go to Kingsbridge Road).

What’s even the point of those (B)‘s that end at Kingsbridge?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

What’s even the point of those (B)‘s that end at Kingsbridge?

They are AM Layups to Concourse Yard, train get taken OOS at Kingsbridge Road on the middle track & run lite/light passing Bedford Park to avoid clogging up the terminal.

Kingsbridge Road trippers are the 0752+, 0758+, and 0810+ from Brighton Beach.

Edited by DaPr03