SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The (B) is heading to Bedford Park during middays. Every other train will be extended during the 9AM-3PM hours. Trains will run every 16 minutes to accommodate helping the (D) line during those hours (especially during the games in YS).

Edited by NBTA

On 6/24/2024 at 12:58 AM, Kamen Rider said:

The so far this summer, no. C trains were long relaying via 80th street because we were replacing the switches on the yard lead. So the shuttle, even though full length, only went to broad channel.

It just so happened it coincided with a heat wave. It’s no so much “is it a holiday”, so much as “what is everyone else doing.” If most businesses are open, we have to operate at weekday levels and sometimes can’t devote the resources necessary. All those people could have just as much stayed on the A to get to the peninsula.

that being said, under normal circumstances, running the extended shuttle requires a lot of extra people. Switch train operators. Platform personnel. 

then there’s having the shuttle discharging at Rockaway Blvd, possibly holding up A service. 

At that point why not just run the (S) to Euclid? Makes it easier for everyone involved.

On 6/24/2024 at 11:09 PM, Kamen Rider said:

Dude… seriously… you make that sound so simple on paper… but real life does not work that way.

service patters are the way they are for a reason. You just need to learn to accept we don’t do things because we feel like it.

”well, you did (thing) in the past…”

We did… and it probably wasn’t a good idea or a good use of resources. 

I just saw this, disregard my previous message lmao.

However, how much more crews would be needed to run the (C) to Rock Park on weekends?

1 hour ago, NBTA said:

The (B) is heading to Bedford Park during middays. Every other train will be extended during the 9AM-3PM hours. Trains will run every 16 minutes to accommodate helping the (D) line during those hours (especially during the games in YS).

Also, not much of a change but the (B) from Brighton Beach now leaves at 9:13 PM. Two extra trains for the night, used to be at 8:53 PM

The (5) now has 8-10 minute headways during weekends. Question is will it be on the schedule due to G/Os from other subway lines. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, Ex696 said:

There are still a couple of times during the weekend with 12 minute gaps for the 5. The B, D, J and M trains are getting 8 minute headways during middays now, so the M, like the C, will have better service during midday than during rush hour.

Well actually, the (M) was always every 8 minutes at rush hour. It’s just that during the previous 63rd Street Renovation Work, they reduced the (M) by two trains to make it a full 10 (sometimes 12) minute headway train, given that all trains were single tracking at 57th Street-6th Avenue at the time. But yes, so far, most, if not, everything is surprisingly going from 10 minutes to 8 minutes to evenly match with those that are already 8 minutes just months to a year prior.

I think the (M) out of Met in the AM and back into Met in the PM should be 5 minutes to match the (J)(Z), which is of course only will last for an hour, but folks were saying otherwise when I suggested that….I forgot which page. I’ll re-check later on or so.

This just came into my head. With the (G) train shutdown happening this summer, there will be no (G) trains between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand Avs between July 5th and August 12th (as stated on the MTA website). Given the fact that the (G) may not need as many trains as it usually does during this time period (as a result of its shorter route length), is it possible that the (A) would end up using some R160’s that might be freed up by this part of the shutdown (similar to how the (C) borrowed R160’s from the (M) in 2023)?

On 6/28/2024 at 10:50 PM, Jemorie said:

Glad the extended summer weekend (H) is back until Labor Day, although I wonder what work they did at the Euclid Avenue relay that made them delayed the summer weekend (H) for a month while forcing (C) trains to relay on the middle track on Liberty El east of 80 St-Hudson St.

IIRC, Switch replacement on the Yard Leads headed to Pitkin

2 hours ago, LGA Link N Train said:

IIRC, Switch replacement on the Yard Leads headed to Pitkin

IMO, the NYCTA needs to do better in terms of planning/scheduling General Orders in general. But I know they never will anyways so.

Edited by Jemorie

So the (B) will not run to Bedford Park during the midday all the time, it will alternate between Bedford Park and 145th St during the midday.

Not sure how car equipment will manage this especially with the rollsigns, unless they will keep the same sets on the 145th portion and the same sets on the BPB portion.

I wonder if the (B) train will consider having platform conductors at Brighton Beach like the (N) (W) for now like Astoria-Ditmars Blvd in-case to double check which of their trains will go to Bedford Park Blvd during the midday hours. * Some trains may get scrolled to Harlem-145 St at that time. 

Edited by Calvin

13 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

You try to keep a 120 year old system running and then you get to complain. 

I kind of get where Jemorie is coming from. Multiple (much needed) G.O.’s happen per Weekend and Overnight. And while you can’t exactly shut down multiple portions of the System for longer than a Weekend at a Time, it does raise a few eyebrows when you have multiple upgrades or improvements happening along the same Corridor’s and not taking full advantage of piggybacking G.O.’s to try and crank out as much work as possible, or spreading that work out throughout multiple weekends. Having to set up and take down the work zone each time for multiple weekends in a row. Surely a Cost Saving measure can be taken advantage of here.

18 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:
20 hours ago, Jemorie said:

IMO, the NYCTA needs to do better in terms of planning/scheduling General Orders in general. But I know they never will anyways so.

You try to keep a 120 year old system running and then you get to complain.

I’m on the fence regarding which side to agree with.

On one hand, I work with people on all levels of highly technical projects who ask for things which would result in technically convoluted solutions and/or sacrificing expediency of completion.

On the other hand, you don’t have to be able to sing yourself to tell that someone else also sucks. Nor do you have to be able to cook your own meals to complain about the school food.

In my line of work, I like to explain limitations and seemingly “:wacko:” design choices for projects I work on, but my patience stretches only so far before I stop fielding stupid questions for the day. I’m not sure anyone is able to explain these convoluted MTA plans or would even volunteer to dig into it, but it’s not a concern to dismiss as “you try doing that job.”

Sunday, June 30th and July 1st, first weekday for the new pick for the (MTA) New York City Subway: 

Changes that followed compared to last pick 

- (3) service during weekends middays and afternoons now falls at 10 minute headways instead of 12. 

- The (5) during weekends will be balanced to at least 8-10 minutes during the midday and afternoon hours. Some trains may be at the 12 minute mark depending on what time it arrives at Bowling Green going through the South Ferry loop. (Headway notice: 8-12 minutes)

- The (A) service during weekdays is the same. Nothing big but, the 6:47 PM trip from Inwood-207 St and 8:41 trip to 207 St out of Far Rockaway is the standard R46/R179/R211 fleet. 

- The (D) train now has 8 minute headways during middays compared to before that has 10 minutes. 

- Every 8 minutes per train, every day except Sunday, 10 minutes: (J) train service. 

* The (B) train now has 8 minute headways but during the evening and rush hour, more trips are added. 

The 5:35 AM trip from Bedford Park Blvd is now inserted between 5:25 AM and 5:45 AM. 

Selected drop-offs take place for this line, and 1-trippers for this line: 7:52 AM, 7:58 AM and 8:10 AM to Kingsbridge RD, Drop off trip: 7:39 AM from Brighton Beach to Bedford Park Blvd, 1-drop off from Stillwell Av Yard put-in: 7:07 AM from Brighton Beach. Put-ins for the PM rush: 4:05 PM, 4:23 PM, 4:47 PM, 5:33 PM from Bedford Pk Blvd. 

8 minute headways between Harlem-145 St and Brighton Beach middays. Between Harlem-145 St and Bronx, Bedford Park Blvd: 16 minute headways, 

Two extra express trains during the night hours from Brighton Beach to Harlem-145 St: 9:03 and 9:13 PM. 

Weekday only route, timetable made an error stating all times. Weekends, other option routes: (Q) (D) (A) (C) 

- No changes made to the (Q) : trains leave a bit early or later to accomindate 96 St and Coney Island train arrivals. The R160 from the (R) tripper remains to accomindate extra passengers on the Second Av line during the AM rush. 

Routes that still have 12 minute headways during weekends, no change to weekend service: (C)(E) (F) (N) (R) 

No changes made or that it was done last year: (SR), 42 St (S) , (L) , (1)(2) (4) (6)(M)  

** Up to September 2024, (G) train shutdown due to CBTC modernization on its entire Crosstown line. 

*** (7) train station work up to first quarter of 2025: Skips 111 St and 82 St, Main St bound, <7> trains are local between 74 St-Broadway and Queensboro Plaza

Edited by Calvin