SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering how last weekend post 10 PM had a lot of riders at Mets-Wilets Point waiting for the (7) train to go back home. Turns out that it was Govenors Ball that happened at the Corona Park. Also, you'll really love the 7 when people exit the train at Times Square queens side PM rush hour, just to get pushed by others for those empty seats. 

On 6/12/2024 at 3:24 PM, Kamen Rider said:

1: no it isn’t the same

2: they get more accessible stations, new trains, clean buses, and a more reliable network.

1. It’s exactly the same. They have to cross a camera to get out of the zone and another one to get back in the zone. Cameras set up on either side of the West Side Hwy. Same thing here-cameras in either side of the crosstown coloridos.

2. The bus network won’t be more reliable if they get more traffic in said borough.

On 6/12/2024 at 3:05 PM, TDL said:

1. The cameras could be programmed just like the ones on the FDR (https://www.silive.com/news/2024/01/mta-installs-cameras-to-track-vehicles-for-congestion-pricing-on-2-highways-excluded-from-the-toll-report-says.html)

2.If there is road work closing one of the tunnels, the corridor will still  connect to the FDR (on all corridors except Canal Street) and/or West Side Hwy (on all corridors). They will still have a free route to an alternate tunnel or crossing.

3. Going the long way is already a traffic nightmare as it is. The Cross Bronx Expressway is already overcongested as it is. As the MTA acknowledged, the plan as-is would have more traffic on the Cross Bronx, which is already a nightmare. That effect would be mitigated by crosstown corridors. 

1) Thanks for the link, I noticed those cameras recently on the FDR. I think I’ve recently seen them on the Queens side of the Whitestone Br as well. 🤔

3) Cross Bronx, Major Deegan, Harlem River Dr, RFK Br all would become even worse.

22 hours ago, TDL said:

1. It’s exactly the same. They have to cross a camera to get out of the zone and another one to get back in the zone. Cameras set up on either side of the West Side Hwy. Same thing here-cameras in either side of the crosstown coloridos.

2. The bus network won’t be more reliable if they get more traffic in said borough.

1: it’s not the same thing, stop saying it is.

2: the only reason there would be more traffic is your senseless idea to encourage car usage. The idea is to push it down. These not thought out crosstown corridors are only going to make things WORSE. If you convince more people to take transit then there will be less traffic in general… but no, you want to make MORE of it. You want it be WORSE.

There should honestly be some sort of limited rebates capped to the subway fare for people crossing the Bronx- Whitestone, Throgs Neck, Verrazano Brodge for people crossing a limited times a years

Its easy to take transit to Manhattan but it’s not feasible for people getting out of the city

Edited by Mtatransit

Is the SPEED unit out and about lately? Got a RFW on the (3) this morning and saw a lot of updated very specific speed signs. Some of them were GT39 and GT37 bt 14th and Chambers, 21 miles and a countdown style GT bt Park Pl and Fulton, among others. Not sure how recent those updates are.

On 6/20/2024 at 9:11 AM, brakethrow said:

Having to work a shuttle has to be some level of purgatory.

Yeah especially having to wait in the sweltering heat (due to no crew cabins at intermittent stations), like the Astoria Shuttle at Queensboro Plaza or when the (L) goes only to Union Square or the (J) to Hewes St

38 minutes ago, Kingsbridgeviewer382 said:

With R62A Car 1934 going to the (1) whatever happened to the cars it was attached to before (1924, 1926, 1938, 1942)?

Car 1942 has been hooked up with 1954, 57-58-1959, displasing 1960. Not sure about the other cars but I believe 1960 is on garbage duty.

I hope that some rail fans saw the article about the (MTA) and it’s finances in today’s Daily News. Without the money from the congestion pricing scheme  the ship be sinking. Simply put the folks who were talking about option orders for the R211 cars should be quiet and learn about finances first. The older people always warned us about counting chickens before they hatched. The gist of this article says that all of these wish list items are now off the table. The (MTA) is now going to focus on the infrastructure of the system. The R46 cars will be put out to pasture and that’s it for subway cars according to the agency. The R9A locomotive orders for LIRR and Metro North are cancelled for now..New buses are not being ordered because, quite frankly, the (MTA) doesn’t have the money to pay for them. The article states that the R68 rolling stock will stick around and the R62 cars on the IRT will stick around for years to come. Obviously this is a worst case scenario but some of us warned the forums about this all along. As for the folks talking about option order subway cars the article states that the (MTA) and Kawasaki are talking about canceling the subway and railroad cars because there’s no money to pay for them to be constructed. Let’s see how this works out. Carry on.

10 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Yeah especially having to wait in the sweltering heat (due to no crew cabins at intermittent stations), like the Astoria Shuttle at Queensboro Plaza or when the (L) goes only to Union Square or the (J) to Hewes St

Those jobs tends to be “the train you came in on is the train you’re leaving with.” Especially on the J.

1 hour ago, Kamen Rider said:

Those jobs tends to be “the train you came in on is the train you’re leaving with.” Especially on the J.

If I remember correctly, there are crew switches at Broad St but only during the rush hour. Wonder if it had something to do with timing that they don't keep the train during the rush at said Lower Manhattan last stop. 

Edited by Calvin

5 hours ago, Kamen Rider said:

I was specifically referring to the short line J to Hewes, but yes, at least normally, we only drop back on the J in the rush hours.

Drop back, meaning that the crew takes a brief break and is assigned the next incoming train as opposed to turning their own trains like (G) train operators do at Court Square

Looks like Broad Channel was a total mess back on Wednesday (Juneteenth) due to the large crowds heading to the Rockaways in the midst of the heat wave while the (S) was running a normal weekday schedule with 300 ft. long trains. Juneteenth is a recent holiday so I get the MTA hasn't really planned for it, but I hope next year the agency will at least plan full-length shuttles or something.

Just now checked the (G) timetable. Interestingly, it looks like its midday headways since December 2023 have been increased to every 8 minutes (mathematically 7.5 trains an hour). Before, midday service was every 10 minutes.

Or maybe I’m missing something? Sorry, I rarely be active nowadays.

Edited by Jemorie

2 hours ago, Mysterious2train said:

Looks like Broad Channel was a total mess back on Wednesday (Juneteenth) due to the large crowds heading to the Rockaways in the midst of the heat wave while the (S) was running a normal weekday schedule with 300 ft. long trains. Juneteenth is a recent holiday so I get the MTA hasn't really planned for it, but I hope next year the agency will at least plan full-length shuttles or something.

It’s not MTA holiday so they ran a normal weekday schedule throughout the city. 

6 minutes ago, R32 3838 said:

They usually have the shuttle full length all summer long from Memorial day to Labor Day everyday unless that changed. That's insane with all those people waiting for the shuttle.

Isn't the full-length shuttle only on weekends? Could the MTA even spare the crews and cars needed for a full-length shuttle on weekdays in past years? Since Juneteenth only became a holiday very recently, I can understand the MTA not planning any additional service or altered service for the day. Hopefully they can avoid this next year and plan for full-length shuttles on Juneteenth moving forward.