SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Not super familiar with car technology, but since some R160s have been retrofitted with interior LCD screens, how feasible and expensive would it be to attach LCD screens on front of the NTTs to display the bullets?

Similar to the R211 rendering (presumably) and around the same size as our older cars.

R211_Exterior_Design.jpg

800px-R46_Subway_Car%2C_5732%2C_F%2C_Sep

Edited by Mysterious2train

• Replies 30.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not super familiar with car technology, but since some R160s have been retrofitted with interior LCD screens, how feasible and expensive would it be to attach LCD screens on front of the NTTs to display the bullets?

Similar to the R211 rendering (presumably) and around the same size as our older cars.

R211_Exterior_Design.jpg

Not really feasible as the front left side of an NTT is one big piece of fiberglass. You also may have to move around some of the equipment behind the fiberglass to fit the LCD screen and related equipment. A better idea would just be replacing the current red LED sign with a multicolor LCD one.

R211_Exterior_Design.jpg

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be feasible most things are with the right funds. You’d have to reconstruct the front bonnets of the cars and more than likely and would require some rewiring to connect to the CPU. Funny enough probably easy upgrading a car type like a R62/68 with the glass front. But retrofitting For The Interior LCDs is abit easier they really just sit on the flip side of the route signage and protrudes just a bit. Bit of wiring and a passthru in the voids in the window spaces at the cars end. The current Red LED’s are pretty visible do you think they need to be replaced? What about upgrading The reds for a full color LCD/OLED? The space is already there and wouldn’t require any cutting. Plus R143/R160 classes man that’s quite afew cars.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Not really feasible as the front left side of an NTT is one big piece of fiberglass. You also may have to move around some of the equipment behind the fiberglass to fit the LCD screen and related equipment. A better idea would just be replacing the current red LED sign with a multicolor LCD one.

. This. Late onthe draw lol.

Edited by RailRunRob

I think they will have to eventually replace the 142 era side signs at some point. Those LCDs are never going to last as long as the trains themselves. The Pocatec signs on the 142s are faring slightly better, but they tend to just blank out at times as of late, beyond the standard refresh flashes that is. The Luminator ones on the 142As/188s are in worse condition with parts of the matrices either stuck or simply non-functional. I think part of the reason is because those signs do not refresh and therefore are always on. I'm not surprised at their failures though, given their age.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be feasible most things are with the right funds. You’d have to reconstruct the front bonnets of the cars and more than likely and would require some rewiring to connect to the CPU. Funny enough probably easy upgrading a car type like a R62/68 with the glass front. But retrofitting For The Interior LCDs is abit easier they really just sit on the flip side of the route signage and protrudes just a bit. Bit of wiring and a passthru in the voids in the window spaces at the cars end. The current Red LED’s are pretty visible do you think they need to be replaced? What about upgrading The reds for a full color LCD/OLED? The space is already there and wouldn’t require any cutting. Plus R143/R160 classes man that’s quite afew cars.

. This. Late onthe draw lol.

On the 143 and 160s thats where some cbtc equipment is. So putting an led screen there won't work. Its not empty space

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

On the 143 and 160s thats where some cbtc equipment is. So putting an led screen there won't work. Its not empty space

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Yep I was fully aware when I made the comment. I’ve been inside a NTT cab afew times The CBTC equipment should be to the left of door on the floor away from the drivers console. Wired down thru the floor to the axle to the Ctbc beacon reader. At Least That Was The Provisions as I Remember. A newer OLED with no more thick backlight is what 2.5-3.5 inches deep? Unless the wayside radio equipment is in the bonnet, fiber glass can be RF absorbent or transparent depending on the material mix. So not sure if they went that way But things can be moved. Is it cost effective? prob not but it’s possible.

Edited by RailRunRob

But I thought the shuttle didn't start until September?

They have to transfer them now so this way they don't have to truck them in. Remember the myrtle ave curve is being taken down starting in july. Its better to transfer the cars before the work starts