SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Yeah that makes sense. I wonder if any computer system upgrades are in store for the R160s? Now would be a good time do to it, with WiFi and USB coming and those fancy new LCDs waiting to be properly used. Those LCDs would make a nice replacement for the current FIND system.

Wide-range temperature industrial flash memory costs at least $10/GB. If the MTA were clever, a lot of stuff could fit into 1GB. Most graphics could be stored as SVG. Videos could be animated SVG frames. Audio compression could be cranked up using modern speech compression algorithms like Opus.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be an (N). I think it would be less confusing to have the (Q) via Sea Beach to 96th instead so Sea Beach riders don't get confused and start clamoring around for an Astoria train.

While it will use (N) crews, it will be signed as a (Q) to 96 Street via Sea Beach until further notice. From what I've read, there is no (N) to 96 Street route option in the AAS. Yes, you read that correctly; the most likely route for the (N) should Astoria be unavailable for any reason is not in the AAS, despite months of updates to the system. Apparently, they had plenty of time to needlessly spell out Express and Local on the signs and add Stillwell Av back to the announcements, but they couldn't copy the (Q) via Sea Beach code and modify it for (N) service.

Edited by Lance

While it will use (N) crews, it will be signed as a (Q) to 96 Street via Sea Beach until further notice. From what I've read, there is no (N) to 96 Street route option in the AAS. Yes, you read that correctly; the most likely route for the (N) should Astoria be unavailable for any reason is not in the AAS, despite months of updates to the system. Apparently, they had plenty of time to needlessly spell out Express and Local on the signs and add Stillwell Av back to the announcements, but they couldn't copy the (Q) via Sea Beach code and modify it for (N) service.

Always doing stuff half assed. If that is the case you might as well not have those few trips run in the first place. I don't see how current (N) and (W) service is good enough. Edited by NewFlyer 230

Always doing stuff half assed. If that is the case you might as well not have those few trips run in the first place. I don't see how current (N) and (W) service is good enough.

It's because the Astoria Terminal can't handle too much trains. Same reason why selected (N)(Q) Trips before the (W) Returned terminated at 42nd Street/57th Street.

How does that possibly fit, and does anyone know why all these little sign updates took place?

The IT department probably took whatever memo they issued refraining from excessive usage of abbreviations to heart  :lol:

My goodness, some of the abbreviations were silly. "BKLYN BRDG" and "WAKFLD-241" are my personal favorites.

"Vernon" was obviously the best  :D  :D  :D

+1.

The (4) line's AAS has two notable updates: 138th Street now has a (5) transfer announcement, and 59th Street's announcement was only half-updated, so now it's both correct and incorrect at the same time lmao.

Also, the PATH announcement for Fulton Street was copied from the (2) line's announcements (they didn't use Charlie's version of the PATH announcement.)

Edited by paulrivera

The announcement for the E at Kew Gardens is now messed up. It now reads

"This is Kew Gardens–Union Turnpike. Transfer is available to the E to the Jamaica Center. Transfer is available to the Q10 bus to JFK Airport."

First of all, this is an E to Jamaica Center, and second of all, where is the transfer to the F. This sounds like something that was supposed to be in the E program to 179th, but was put in the wrong program.

The announcement for the E at Kew Gardens is now messed up. It now reads

"This is Kew Gardens–Union Turnpike. Transfer is available to the E to the Jamaica Center. Transfer is available to the Q10 bus to JFK Airport."

First of all, this is an E to Jamaica Center, and second of all, where is the transfer to the F. This sounds like something that was supposed to be in the E program to 179th, but was put in the wrong program.

That was probably meant for the Kew Gardens-Union program and somehow made its way over to the regular (E) program.

I saw an R160 (W) train on the NB 6 Av Express track between West 4 St and Broadway-Laffatye St during the p.m rush today from an (F) train. I wonder how the hell did it end up there

There were switching problems at Whitehall Street, then an incident (12-9?) at Lex/59. It's completely possible that a (W) that was unable to terminate at Whitehall during the switch issue went into Brooklyn, then when it turned back it was unable to go up Broadway because of the other incident, so up the north side of the bridge and 6th Avenue it went.

Keep in mind, you can't turn trains at 57th Street/7 Avenue anymore with 2nd Avenue service up and running, and you already had (N) trains going up 2nd Avenue and whatever (R) trains that stayed on Broadway going via 63rd Street to Queens (some went via Bridge/6 Av/53 St)...

Since this was happening during the height of the PM rush, I'm willing to bet that (W) went up CPW since QBL doesn't have the capacity and 53rd and 63rd were both maxed out. CPW is the only reasonable place since there's *some* capacity to spare heading up that way at that hour...

There were switching problems at Whitehall Street, then an incident (12-9?) at Lex/59. It's completely possible that a (W) that was unable to terminate at Whitehall during the switch issue went into Brooklyn, then when it turned back it was unable to go up Broadway because of the other incident, so up the north side of the bridge and 6th Avenue it went.

Keep in mind, you can't turn trains at 57th Street/7 Avenue anymore with 2nd Avenue service up and running, and you already had (N) trains going up 2nd Avenue and whatever (R) trains that stayed on Broadway going via 63rd Street to Queens (some went via Bridge/6 Av/53 St)...

Since this was happening during the height of the PM rush, I'm willing to bet that (W) went up CPW since QBL doesn't have the capacity and 53rd and 63rd were both maxed out. CPW is the only reasonable place since there's *some* capacity to spare heading up that way at that hour...

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that (W) being sent via 53rd Street/63rd Street. There has been incidents when the (E)(F)(M) all went via 53rd Street/63rd Street all at once.

Yet there is a Coney Island route option for the (N) from 96th Street...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8izYe8XXlKE&t=1m25s

Edited by paulrivera