SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a question: why was there no 7 - Flushing reading on many of the original IRT SMEE fleet bulkhead signs? You had 1-6 and 9, but no 7.

That's actually pretty simple. The Flushing line had its own fleet separated from the rest of the mainline fleet. Until the redbird days, it was rare to see the cars wander between the two, so the TA obviously felt there was no need to have the Flushing route on the mainline trains' cars. As for having the number #9 on the signs, that was the original designation for the Dyre Ave line before the flying junction to E 180 Street was built.

That's actually pretty simple. The Flushing line had its own fleet separated from the rest of the mainline fleet. Until the redbird days, it was rare to see the cars wander between the two, so the TA obviously felt there was no need to have the Flushing route on the mainline trains' cars. As for having the number #9 on the signs, that was the original designation for the Dyre Ave line before the flying junction to E 180 Street was built.

Interesting. That would explain the temporary rollsigns that were all over the line in 1964-1965 as the R12-R14s were moved out and the R33WFs were moved on, with R33MLs filling the gap. David Pirmann photos:

img_3099.jpg

img_19890.jpg

I was talking about the side rollsigns. With the many terminals/stations on the SIR, I don't see why they had to remove it. The R68's on the Franklin (S) have rollsigns, and there's only 4 stops,

Last time I checked, the units on the Franklin Avenue Shuttle don't use side rollsigns at all. It's a piece of plastic with (S) bullet and the destinations of both terminals on the window......

Therefore.... Those units are permanently assigned to the FA(S).

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Edited by Metro CSW

Why were the roll signs on the SIR R44's removed?

Besides a few rush-hour short turns, the line runs one route: St. George to Tottenville. With those short turns clearly indicated on the front signs, there is no need for side signs.

How have underground platform's (mostly IRT stations) been extended since they were built? If there are no provisions for extensions how were they "extended" into the a tunnels structurally?

I would assume they just cut right into the tunnel, similarly to what they did at Bleeker Street for the (6) / (B)(D)(F)(M) transfer. The tunnel columns would become platform columns for the new extended platform.

Edited by Threxx

I would assume they just cut right into the tunnel, similarly to what they did at Bleeker Street for the (6) / (B)(D)(F)(M) transfer. The tunnel columns would become platform columns for the new extended platform.

I always wondered what kind of extra supports and columns were needed to hold up the roof of the tunnel while they did that work...

Interesting.

I always wondered what kind of extra supports and columns were needed to hold up the roof of the tunnel while they did that work...

Likewise, since they were built with cut and cover, and they couldn't necessarily do that for the extensions.

I went to the WTC Transportation Hub(Oculus) today around 12pm for the first time, coming from Liberty St. The wide open area was pretty empty. I did go through the West Concourse before, last year, coming from Brookfield Place and the other time from Vesey St. The exit to Vesey St was closed off so I had to navigate my way around to Brookfield Place. I wasn't expecting a Grand Central Terminal like crowds but I did saw a lot of PATH commuters though and there were like a few people in the Oculus area. Just look how empty it was:

WTC%20Transportation%20Hub_zpsgevfe4qw.jWTC%20Transportation%20Hub%20flag%201_zpWTC%20Transportation%20Hub%20flag%202_zp

I went to the WTC Transportation Hub(Oculus) today around 12pm for the first time, coming from Liberty St. The wide open area was pretty empty. I did go through the West Concourse before, last year, coming from Brookfield Place and the other time from Vesey St. The exit to Vesey St was closed off so I had to navigate my way around to Brookfield Place. I wasn't expecting a Grand Central Terminal like crowds but I did saw a lot of PATH commuters though and there were like a few people in the Oculus area. Just look how empty it was:

WTC%20Transportation%20Hub_zpsgevfe4qw.jWTC%20Transportation%20Hub%20flag%201_zpWTC%20Transportation%20Hub%20flag%202_zp

complete waste of money. It would be better to spend it on something else or even burn it.

complete waste of money. It would be better to spend it on something else or even burn it.

While I agree with you that they spend wayyy too much on it, it will be much more useful once connections to the 1, R, Chambers/WTC and Dey Street Passage open and the stores are filled.