SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Some observations from today:

1406-1410 are on the (1) line with (3) strip maps and the rollsigns between cars all still say (3).

2146 on the (6) has a R62 single line rollsign as well as 1924.

Southbound (D) trains were arriving at Columbus Circle on the local track.

And apparently there is no (C) to 145 St via Delancey program or TOs/CRs don't know how to find it. I only saw either:

C 145 ST

C 8 AV LOCAL

or

C 168 ST

C VIA DELANCEY ST

Also 8613 has an interesting variation of the (C) to Brooklyn via Delancey program. The normal one announces a transfer to the (F) at 2 Av and at York Street announces that it is a "Euclid Avenue bound (C) train via the (F) line". This car had neither.

I actually caught 1406-1410 earlier at about 10. All the signs say (1) now, except for the blind end of 1406, its between (1) and (9)

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually caught 1406-1410 earlier at about 10. All the signs say (1) now, except for the blind end of 1406, its between (1) and (9)

Interesting. I saw it NB at Times Sq around 4:40 so they must have changed it between then and when you saw it.

Also, I wonder will the R179 have RGB front and side signs and are there any plans to modify the R160 signs accordingly?

Interesting. I saw it NB at Times Sq around 4:40 so they must have changed it between then and when you saw it.

Also, I wonder will the R179 have RGB front and side signs and are there any plans to modify the R160 signs accordingly?

They probably won't. You know how the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Question; can the MTA close a stop in the subway system perm if thy wanted to, regardless of protesters?

It is their system they can do whatever they want technically. But why would the MTA do that if they aren't fixing anything major at the station. If you look at the sea beach line half the stations on one side remain open while the other side is closed for renovation. If the MTA was to close a station it would work like that. The likelihood for the MTA to close down an entire station like 34th Street and Forest Hills are low.

What about something like 145 St?

If your talking about 145th street on the (3) the MTA wanted to close it down but for some reason the residents don't want it closed even though the 148th is of close proximity to the station.

Well personally myself if the MTA wanted to do work or track repairs to any station could close down the station in one direction and keep the other side open.

While it's legally possible, the amount of community backlash would force them to reopen said station almost immediately after making the decision to close it. After all, if we're going to close stations within certain proximity to each other, a good chunk of the pre-Dual Contracts stations would be eliminated.

Speaking of stations, there are plans now to reconsider building the 41st & 10th Ave Station on the (7) extension as city officials may be attempting to revive the stalled station as part of a larger redevelopment of those blocks.

Right now it's all just blueprint analyzes to figure out how much space is needed.

Curbed New York:

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/4/4/11360320/nyc-subway-new-station-midtown-west

Speaking of stations, there are plans now to reconsider building the 41st & 10th Ave Station on the (7) extension as city officials may be attempting to revive the stalled station as part of a larger redevelopment of those blocks.

Right now it's all just blueprint analyzes to figure out how much space is needed.

Curbed New York:

http://ny.curbed.com/2016/4/4/11360320/nyc-subway-new-station-midtown-west

If they can, I would position the platform between 9th and 10th Avenues on 41 Street and connect the station to the new PABT, which all signs are pointing to an expansion west to 9th Ave.

Yay, but that means more construction for the (7) line, and it's going to cut off Access to 34 St, and the (7) will be right back to terminating at Times Square for the time being.

Yes, but if you do that, you also do it in a way where if for instance my proposal to have the (L) run on 10th/Amsterdam Avenue came to fruition you can have a transfer to such in the future.

Broad St station (J)

Broad%20St_zpscgxo2e80.jpg

R32 (J) dropping off passengers at the last stop

R32%20J_zpslylmk1vu.jpg

Geometry train(Track Inspector Train Car) at Fulton St (A) / (C) platform

Track%20geometry%20car_zps2c9xp7qf.jpg

R46 (A) skipping stops along the Rockaways, which make it's last stop at Mott Av - Far Rockaway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGTFI_NlYU

I was at Broad St waiting for an R143 but it didn't come. I saw an R42 at the station but I didn't bother to take. 6 minutes later, an R32 came so I took it. If I waited again, most likely either R32, R42 or R160 will come. If the R143 did came, I would take it and get off at Jamaica Center and take the Q113 LTD home. I got off at Fulton St and catch the (A) home. However, I waited almost 30 minutes for my train, (A) to Lefferts came, 6 minutes later, (C) came, 8 minutes later another (C) , 5 minutes later, a geometry train came & finally my train came a minute later. What's really weird was that my (A) train arrived at Broad Channel and the conductor said that the next and last stop was Mott Av - Far Rockaway. So my train skipped all the stops along the Rockaways and stopped at Mott Av.

Rockaway Parkway on the (L) is now "just Canarsie"? When did that happen?

I would say since the R143s hit the line. But, the trains announce it as a Rockaway Pkwy bound (L) train. They used to announce it as a Canarsie bound train. The trains call the station Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy, platform signs call it Rockaway Pkwy, maps and overhead directional signs call it Rockaway Pkwy Canarsie.

Its one of those stations with interchangeable names.

I would say since the R143s hit the line. But, the trains announce it as a Rockaway Pkwy bound (L) train. They used to announce it as a Canarsie bound train. The trains call the station Canarsie-Rockaway Pkwy, platform signs call it Rockaway Pkwy, maps and overhead directional signs call it Rockaway Pkwy Canarsie.

Its one of those stations with interchangeable names.

I guess I should add that it was a R-160 on the (L) that I was on. It was a "Canarsie" bound L train. And FIND had "Canarsie" as the last stop