SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

Just a yesterday, several northbound R's were rerouted via 6th Ave and then to the 63rd St line on G4 track. I rode one.

The connection between Lex-63 and 57/7 is not out of service.

G4 and G3 (I.E. on both levels under 63rd St) are out of service only east of the crossover between the Broadway-bound and 6th Ave-bound tracks.

The connection between 57th Street-7th Avenue and Lex 63rd is OOS. One of my friends who works the (R) line confirmed it and they have barricades blocking it off.

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a yesterday, several northbound R's were rerouted via 6th Ave and then to the 63rd St line on G4 track. I rode one.

But by running on the same tracks as the (F), that does not confirm the availability of the tracks from Broadway. A true test of availability would be the (R) running from 57 Street–7 Avenue to Lexington Avenue–63 Street.

Man that car is having all kinds of programming fun lmfao. Ah wish I could've caught that, it's my favorite R188 too so that would've been cool to see. Caught it signed up as a Vernon-Jackson bound (7) last week. Seeing it signed as a shuttle would've been cool though.

7881 is the one with the row of green dots on the next stop display, right?

But by running on the same tracks as the (F), that does not confirm the availability of the tracks from Broadway. A true test of availability would be the (R) running from 57 Street–7 Avenue to Lexington Avenue–63 Street.

Which I notice hasn't been done in a while, more recently it's been a full (R) via 6 Ave (F)/(M)/(D) reroute

The connection between 57th Street-7th Avenue and Lex 63rd is OOS. One of my friends who works the (R) line confirmed it and they have barricades blocking it off.

Was a bit late when I typed my original post and I was tired. Accidentally wrote 6th ave, not Broadway.

We went up Broadway, then used the 63rd St line to get to Queens. There was a lot of flagging on the connection, but having rode through there, it wasn't out of service. It was a OOS for a few weeks recently, but as recent as when the Plan 5 layups for last weekend's storm were occurring, it was in service.

Edited by Dj Hammers

^^ He's right an (R) train was rerouted through there like 3 days ago.

yeah, several trains ran through there.

As I stated earlier, G3 and G4 are only OOS east of the crossover between the 6th and Broadway tracks. The connection between 57/7 and 63/Lex is not OOS.

Edited by Dj Hammers

Does the world series program still exist on the R142's?

What world series program? This is the first time I'm hearing of this, your post reminds me of when there was a 142 set that was wrapped in a Yankee Pinstripe scheme, it actually ran on the (2) like that for a while even after the subway series. One of my earliest memories of those cars.

Didn't know it had a special announcement program just for the Subway Series.

img_3441.jpg

Alas, this is the only evidence of this program. Would love to know more or hear announcements. More than likely, though, it was just the standard Yankee Stadium bound announcement.

Well, the signs were like this:

On the outside luminator, it said <4>

On the outside signs, it said:

(4) WORLD SERIES SPECIAL

On the inside it just said this:

WORLD SERIES SPECIAL

There were no announcements, it's just the conductor using the PA system.

Now what I want to know is, why in the world did the MTA use a R142 from the (2) instead of a R142 from the (4) to use for the World Series Special...

Well, the signs were like this:

On the outside luminator, it said <4>

On the outside signs, it said:

(4) WORLD SERIES SPECIAL

On the inside it just said this:

WORLD SERIES SPECIAL

There were no announcements, it's just the conductor using the PA system.

Now what I want to know is, why in the world did the MTA use a R142 from the (2) instead of a R142 from the (4) to use for the World Series Special...

The (4) didn't have R142s yet, in 2000 it still used mostly R62s with a few Redbirds.. The (2) and (6) were the only IRT lines using NTT in 2000, the (4) & (5) got NTT later on.

BTW here's a video I found of that 142 set running for the Subway Series back then....

From what I can hear, the announcements was done manually.

Edited by trainfan22