SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 31.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an interim signage for construction work, put there so that when there's a G.O. in effect on the (7) to end at Queensboro Plaza and no (7) service btw Manhattan & Queens. From the looks of it, that sign has probably been used for the last several years during the MTA's winter season routine work on the (7) for upgrades, therefore on certain occasions having service terminate at Queensboro Plz.

Interesting fact, when the first R188 debut for it's 30 day revenue test, trains did terminate at Queensboro Plaza and then back to Flushing.

Edited by jon2305

Only the R68/A follows it. The R32 does not. They don't always do the Dyckman Street put in. They have made the R32 start earlier or later and I've caught it at different times. Hell there was a good amount times when it went to Far Rockaway for the Rush instead of Lefferts.

And btw the R32 (A) Train Thursday left 207th Street around 7;00 PM doing a round trip to Lefferts. 

And Friday it was 7:15 or something it left 207th Street. 

Caught it both days out of nowhere.

Was the R32 (A) starting its run during those times? 

On Friday at around 3 PM or so I hadan odd transit experience. At Queens Plaza I saw an E train on the Manhattan-bound express track, saying Not In Service. There were a few people inside and one door was opened. A train operator came in on the side of the train facing Eastern Queens. The signal turned to switch the train onto the D5 Layup. In order to allow Manhattan-bound E trains to pass, they were sent to the local track. Once people started entering that train, a lot of people including myself ran to the Manhattan-bound platform as it would be running to Jamaica Center. We made it onto the train. As the train closed its doors, a packed E train pulled into Queens Plaza on the Queens-bound express track. We left first and headed onto D5, and then waited for the switch to be set to continue onto D4. In the meantime the other E that was packed with passengers, including a lot of passengers who came on Queens Plaza, went onto the local track and made local stops. Then our train continued turning onto D4, and then ran express as normal. It was odd, as until Roosevelt there were no other people in the back 9 cars. When I got to Union Tpke, I asked the T/O if it was a gap train or not, and what was going on. He said that it wasn't and there was some earlier incident.

Only the R68/A follows it. The R32 does not. They don't always do the Dyckman Street put in. They have made the R32 start earlier or later and I've caught it at different times. Hell there was a good amount times when it went to Far Rockaway for the Rush instead of Lefferts.

And btw the R32 (A) Train Thursday left 207th Street around 7;00 PM doing a round trip to Lefferts.

And Friday it was 7:15 or something it left 207th Street.

Caught it both days out of nowhere.

officially, the R32 is supposed to be the 1704 put in from 207 that goes in to service at Dyckman. Sometimes it will be sent out earlier, later, or not at all, depending on needs of the service.

However, officially, it is supposed to be at Dyckman at 1704

So why on earth does the (4) line dispatcher allow a 9-Car train set run during AM rush hour? Doesn't MTA pull a Whole NTT trainset if One car isn't functioning properly?

I did not just read that correctly, did you just say a 9 car set was running on the (4)???

It was a full 10-Car R142A but the C/R's car was empty and the doors locked.

More than likely, something happened in that car and instead of pulling the entire train out of service, they just isolated that car.

You said it was rush hour, so every train counts lol

It was a full 10-Car R142A but the C/R's car was empty and the doors locked.

Oh, you scared me there for a minute. A similar thing HAPPENDED with a R188 on the (7), but I think only the right doors were locked, it was Tech And Transit who reported it.

168 St & Euclid Av have the same setup (local terminating/express thru service), and Utica Av & Brighton Beach have the opposite setup (express terminating/local thru service)

At 168 the C terminates on the middle (express) tracks, I suppose Euclid is the same as Continental in that regard, but Euclid only has 1 service terminating there, and also there are multiple diamond crossovers north and south so even if you had the A/C both on the local, the A wouldn't get stuck behind the C. 

More than likely, something happened in that car and instead of pulling the entire train out of service, they just isolated that car.

You said it was rush hour, so every train counts lol

Fairly common. Most likely something involving bodily fluids. 

At 168 the C terminates on the middle (express) tracks, I suppose Euclid is the same as Continental in that regard, but Euclid only has 1 service terminating there, and also there are multiple diamond crossovers north and south so even if you had the A/C both on the local, the A wouldn't get stuck behind the C. 

Um... actually, at 168 the inner tracks are the local and outer ('gainst the wall) are the express.

Would it have cost less money had the express tracks been on the outside of 4 track lines and the local on the inside for the subway lines with Mezzanines?

Each express station would have two island platforms as they do now, but the local stations would just have one island platform, less stairs needed, less signs, passenger cross overs would not be necessary.

What do you think?